Difficulty of Daniel

What do you think of the difficulty level of Daniel?

• Isn't difficult enough.

Votes: 129 50.0%
  • Just fine the way it is.

Votes: 126 48.8%
  • Is too difficult.

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
I think daniel needs to get harder!! and not by making other stuff easier!

Daniel broke a differential and a drive shaft. I think that makes it difficult enough.
No need to make Daniel a mega built trailer queen only trail.

I agree with ibyota85 I wheeled Daniel again this weekend on 31s open front and rear it needs to be harder its far from a trailer queen only trail

hopefully they allow it to get harder again

I wouldn't worry too much about it, It changes quit often. I have been wheeling URE for 10 years and Its not the same for long.

While this is true I think the point most of us are trying to make is that maybe Daniel would benefit form less grooming.

I agree with you Ghost, I would love to see that. I was just stating to the people that weren't aware, not to worry so much about some back fill, it will wash away as it was intended to.

But yes I would like to see less, Possibly just what has to be done, But I am happy with whatever the forest service see fit.

I voted that it's fine just the way it is.
But after reading over some discussion here, I think that the difficulty could be increased some by adding more obstacles etc.
I've been on Daniels once and was in a stock JK. The ledges were the ONLY areas that gave me trouble (other than the mud pit farther up the trail, which is optional). Rut Hill was no problem at all, you just need a good line to follow and steady control of the vehicle.

After I finished Daniel, I was actually a little disappointed. I expected it to be much harder than it actually was and I was anticipating many challenges along the way.
My opinion, they add more obstacles, ledges, mud areas etc. :beer:

Mud is viewed as the devil by a good many wheelers, I should warn you. Lol.

But yes, Daniel is far too easy to be concerned extremely difficult.

Mud is viewed as the devil by a good many wheelers, I should warn you. Lol.

Is that what ih8mud stands for? LOL

But yes, Daniel is far too easy to be concerned extremely difficult.

Only difficult if you are in a older truck w/ manual brakes, carb engine & no power steering!!!! But still not extremely difficult!!!:beer::beer:

I finally ran this trail this past weekend. First thing to know is I did bypass that first ledge after the leaning part with the tree that scrapped my door real good:shaking:. I did it in my 07 jeep commander with 32" tires and a 2" spacer lift. Although I do surprise everyone with the capabilities of my jeep every time I go out, there is no way this trail is extremely difficult. I will admit after watching a TJ take several runs at one of the ledges I was ready to turn around and head back but I did it and crawled up in one try. So my very lightly modified 5,000LBS jeep made it up this trail. Of course I did not seek out and try the hardest lines on Daniel but I still made it. I think this trail should be labeled difficult.

damn,i can't believe this discussion is still going on.any trail that can be done from start to finish without spinning a tire is not "extremly difficult",hell it aint even difficult.

My brother made it up all of daniel, no bypasses, open/open on 33's in an XJ with a dana 30/8.25 stock, 4 inches of lift, busted his rear window out on the first section with the tree, no issues after that though. Would definately not have tried in a new jeep like yours though, ouch on some body damage. No stacking, didnt have to back down, just all at once, it had been a while, and the ledge looks nasty, but it is not nearly as bad as it could be.

And yes, daniel is far from difficult.

Daniel is the most difficult OHV trail in the forest, that is why it is labeled "extrememly difficult." Dont forget, this is not the Las Vegas Rock Crawling Championship, this is a forest that gets a lot of use from people in stock rigs, and ATVs. Also, dont forget about the ATV's and dirtbikes. Just because it is easy in your jeep, that does not mean it is easy for a kid riding quads with his dad.

The poll seems to be split down the line. And I will venture a guess to why based on my own personal experience. Any day you ride Daniel (lets say in anything from a stock rig to something on 33"s-35"s and a locker) you can either have a smooth easy ride, or everything wrong that can go wrong will.

Back when I had 31"s stock and the ledge was a lot worse, I did the trail no problems. When the ledges weren't too awful (but were wet) and on 34"s and 2" lift I had a hell of a time. Almost busted my rear window on the leaning left v-notch climb before the 1st ledge leaving a huge dent. Then my carb kept cutting out right as I was about to be over the ledges, so I had to get strapped up. Then after that the tree you lean into after the 5 point turn (Z Turn) got me wedged where I couldn't move. Had to get winched sideways off of it, and it bent my rain gutter down over my door so I couldn't get out. Then the rest of the ride (the easier parts) wasn't any problem.

I can almost say I have a 50/50 record on Daniel of good/bad runs. It all depends on the conditions of the trail, how your vehicle is running, and what lines you end up on which isn't always your choice when the rocks decide to put you where they want.

i think Uwharrie as a whole has gotten too easy.......you can do 90% on the trails in 2wd......but then you look at the alternatives like The BDB Farm and ya cant do any of the trails there with out being locked front and rear!

we need something that fits in the middle. just my $.02

i drive a stock jeep with 31's , ive done everything cept the second ledge of daniel.

kinda sucks that if i upgrade just a little bit, i can master the whole area

i would love to see a real rock trail with some hard terrian even if it was just a bunch of mini rock gardens through out a trail

i can imagin what the guys droping real money into rigs feel about URE's trails

although i always see those guys out there , sucks they dont have a real trail to test their rigs out on

IMO the trails are gonna be a 2wd site seeing thing soon , bridges going in on one of the best spots in the forest

i'd pay more for them to stop messing with the trials

i drive a stock jeep with 31's , ive done everything cept the second ledge of daniel.

i would love to see a real rock trail with some hard terrian even if it was just a bunch of mini rock gardens through out a trail

although i always see those guys out there , sucks they dont have a real trail to test their rigs out on

IMO the trails are gonna be a 2wd site seeing thing soon , bridges going in on one of the best spots in the forest

Most of the guys who build the big rigs, have the coin to travel to more difficult parks like Harlan and Rausch Creek. :/

I was there last sat and rode in one of the guys Yota I meet up with. It did look difficult but it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I was a little curious as to why after the first ledge that the split on the right was blocked off. Overall for a trail that is extr. difficult I didn't think it was. In general though I think some of the trails need to be a little bit harder. All the moderate trails might as well be easy.

i think if it was left alone for a while it would become better/harder. it was fairly easy to me in my buddys XJ on 33's. but as with any other trail in all of URE it depends on the conditions.
i was in URE one saturday and it was dry and dusty. ran everything in 2wd, then it rained for about 30-45 minutes and changed the whole game, it was slick and we bout couldnt make it up a couple trails. thats was the funnest trip ever to me. thats what i love about URE, a little rain can change it all, especially daniel.

You guys just dont get it. Do you understand that this is a federally owned and managed forest, and it is extrememly difficult to keep the trails up to national standards that keep them open? Do you understand that the bridges you dont like are keeping these trails open? Do you understand that this is not the same as the private trails you ride on where anything goes?
No, you dont.
You also dont understand that there are hydrologists, lanscape architects, and engineers that must be kept happy or these trails will be shut down. Im getting sick and tired of hearing people bitch and moan about how easy the trails are and how the USFS is "messing them up" by doing this trail maintinance, which is keeping them open for you to enjoy.
If you dont like it, go somewhere else. You will be sorry when it is gone.

I understand, I really do, except the bridge, I really hate that bridge. Maybe it is better now, but last time I was there they had fencing put up that made it very difficult to fit through in the larger rigs, no way I could have drove my pickup through there.

For being as cheap as it is, as close as it is, Uwharrie is a great park, just as it is, but we will always want more, its just human nature. I love Uwharrie, its one of my favorite places to go for a weekend and just get away, camp, some fishing, and just hang out. Even drink a few beers if I am camping at the Stables, never in the park, I wish I could, but understand why I can't.

Do I wish Daniel was a little more challenging? Yes.
Do I understand that the FS vehicles must be able to get through the trail so it can't get much harder. Yes.

I will go to Uwharrie atleast 2-3x a year, not including the Trail Work Days, just because its fun, and a great place to take first time wheelers to get there bearings. (Watch out in April, we will have a few with us haha)

Back