Dynamite Design - Sling Shot

I don't understand the attitude in this thread? I've seen nothing but good work and positive comments about your work, yet you seem to think everyone is against you and doubting you. I've tried to keep my mouth shut and just enjoy the build but it's confusing really.

Reckon it's a mix of thoughts brought over from Hard Line Crawlers. Yeah, I've got my guard up.... Probably more than I should.

Last edited by a moderator:
te="jeepmedic, post: 1226438, member: 19279"]The long welds look cool but I have to ask are they as strong as a solid piece of tube? Looks to me like it would add areas that could fail or shear/tear?

The idea is to create a certain attitude within the appearance of the cage. The outer foundation of the cage is already good and strong. The tubes you are talking about are nothing more than reinforcement. Just trying to clear that up, because I know it's been a big question.

As long as you call it what it is--fancy tubework instead of the strongest cage. You can tell by the colors that your cover weave puts a lot of heat into the tubes=bad. Is there any way to keep it looking as nice while only welding small sections at a time? Haters gonna hate, but if the whole thread is about you being the best--expect some criticism.

Just make sure that pile is ready for Moab

It is a month in and less than half a cage finished. :flipoff2: Just sayin.

Unsubscribed. Too much 18 year old like attitude I can't just enjoy the build. A little humble pride goes a long way, if your so sure of yourself you should smile and let your work speak for itself when you get criticism. Not blast everyone with some pitty party motivational speech about yourself.

Man.... What a shocking experience. I've really pushed it too far. I haven't listened to anyone. Josh has told me how to do everything right but I didn't listen. All I can do is learn from this, clean up my act, and do better....

Last edited by a moderator:
This build has turned into the most humbling, learning experience I have ever encountered. Among other things, I have learned that if I want to build my company, attract and keep customers? I need to represent the customers I have, with the fabrication they came here to get. Not much of anything else.

Now that my eyes are open, I can finally get a grip on this part of fabrication that I haven't really understood. I appreciate everyone that contributed to the learning process. Now it seems so very simple.

Let's build....

IMG_99319810393059.jpeg

IMG_99303264738762.jpeg

IMG_99298819151603.jpeg

IMG_98630626921379.jpeg

IMG_98619266112053.jpeg

IMG_98609783293449.jpeg

IMG_98604606260977.jpeg

Nice attitude. Wow.
Good luck with the business, and if you think hardline is being hard on you DO NOT POST THIS ON PIRATE...
The cage is interesting, and I know you say the outside is strong, but it looks like dead nodes all over, lots of heat along the tube that will weaken it, and blind spots created where the tubes intersect.
But save your snarky comeback, I'm not worth it. Continue on.

I am going to interject my unrequested 2 cents worth.

I've known David loosely for 3+ years now. Here are several things that are each independently accurate
- He is a supremely talented welder
- He has a way of looking at things that is different than anyone else Ive ever seen. Im still not sure if its idiot savante, or just idiotic (kidding)
- He is still very young.
- He is also very experienced. (no worries this sint turning into an Alanis Morisette song....isn't it ironic?)
[For those that don't know, and he wont frequently tell you, if you have oogled over Doc's blower buggy, either of the Team Adam 4400 cars, or many other of Wide Open Design's builds you have looked at some of his welds.]
- He is passionate about offroading as a whole. Sometimes too passionate.
- He has made mistakes
- He has learned from his mistakes and apologized for them
- He has been kicked while he was down plenty
- He has gotten up dusted himself off and gave it another try.
- And he has made some of those mistakes again

I'll lay odds right now the dude will either end up a wild success or flame out and wander around the desert for a long time like an offroad beach bum and mumble about how great he once was. Either is equally likely in my mind.

The attitude you see burning through in his comments is from someone who has been jaded and taken advanatge of but yet has not learned that many folks have. Again he has cared too much, been too passionate and had too uch faith at times in others from what I have seen.

He is still the same guy who wanted to race in an ECORS race in Alabama and didnt sleep for 4 days straight to get the truck done and get there only to have a motor problem seemingly take him out. We watched and laughed as he laid on his back on the trailer under his rig and rebuilt the bottom end of his motor (including replacing the main and rod bearings) still in the truck in the mud..and then raced the next day. The truck didnt finish but it did turn the fastest lap of the day.

All that to say...I think many folks here could learn from him. I also think he could learn from many others here.
Unfortunately lots is lost in translation in message board posts all too frequently.

He is still the same guy who wanted to race in an ECORS race in Alabama and didnt sleep for 4 days straight to get the truck done and get there only to have a motor problem seemingly take him out. We watched and laughed as he laid on his back on the trailer under his rig and rebuilt the bottom end of his motor (including replacing the main and rod bearings) still in the truck in the mud..and then raced the next day. The truck didnt finish but it did turn the fastest lap of the day.

I'd forgotten all about that.

What about the donuts at DPG around the lawn darted cherokee in "lil digger"?

I definitely did not forget any part of that.

that glowing manifold will forever be engraved in my mind. haha. alabama too. he was under his rig when we arrived.

I've seen David weld first hand in my shop with my welder that he'd never touched before and the shittiest fixed shade hood laying around my shop. His first bead was as good as any of mine.

David I do jobs all the time that may pay average, but just to be able to stretch my legs or show what I may be capable of I will do things that took way longer than the job pays and/or are much fancier than what the customer expected. Sometimes it comes out badass. Sometimes it's not what I had hoped for.

The biggest lesson I've learned is that there is a very small demographic that actually is willing to pay for what you "can" do vs. "how cheap" you can do it. Like you I love building stuff and I will continue to build things that are as much out of the box as I can get.

Back when I first started my business. PJ from M&M made it clear to me that there was no money in the offroad fabrication business. He was right. One can make a living but you won't get rich building "one off" stuff everyday. No matter how hard I try to make that huge paycheck off those jobs. It never happens.

I think we all know that the money is in manufacturing. I've kept myself close to the total custom stuff in an effort to learn the critical in's and out's. A good percentage of what I learned in California was production based fabrication. No doubt I want to make money one day. The production designs are already there, but the truth is I have just now acquired my starter kit, (equipment) and this project has to be done. I would like to think with just a few more good tools, I can start designing just about anything for production applications.

Im nobody but i do hope for your success in where ever you would like to take this business. I think you obviously got talent and a lot of people are saying that. Nothing wrong with being confident in your work and abilities but there is a line to walk. The attitude in the beginning of this thread was a big turn off to me. Im glad you have acknowledged that and hopefully the direction of this thread is turning the right way cause im anxious to see the end result. Like an guy once told me its takes a fair amount of knowledge to realize you dont know everything. Wish you the best and good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

- He is also very experienced. (no worries this sint turning into an Alanis Morisette song....isn't it ironic?)
[For those that don't know, and he wont frequently tell you, if you have oogled over Doc's blower buggy, either of the Team Adam 4400 cars, or many other of Wide Open Design's builds you have looked at some of his welds.]

I was wondering if anyone would mention his stint at WOD. That and the gumption he had at the Alabama race - those two things are enough to say 'shut up and watch'.

I'll be honest, this build isn't my favorite, but I'll constantly be coming back to the thread to see just what is going on with DavidG. Fabricator extraordinaire and motivational speaker - a first in the 4x4 community.

I appreciate all the context. One of my favorite memories from that race was when I came around a wide turn in a drift, and accidentally hit Brad Carrier's left rear tire with my right front tire, and having to save it on the left 2 wheels for a while. Almost smashed a tree.

But, here's some build context. One of the reasons I have been posting my daily progress with this particular build, is to show that almost all of the known variables were taken into consideration before I even started. A lot of information went into the design strategy, and I felt confident enough in my design to build completely welded parts for it, with only 'just enough material here. I'm sorry I have seemed so defensive of what I am doing, but the story is still the same - I want to get the word out to future customers, that I can take a simple or complex idea and
make something out of it. This project may not be to
everyones taste, but future projects can be completely
different from this one. I would like to think, I am very
versitle. Obviously, this build has shown to be a massive
learning experience. I've still got a lot of proving to do, but
I can now humbly say, I'm not going to give up.

Back