Found extra parts in my oil pan

Will miller

This is an LS motor 6.0. I went to change the oil and found what looks like needle bearings on the drain plug. The longest one measured 12.5mm in length. The others looked broke so I didn’t measure those. I feel this is to long for rocker needle bearings. So I’m thinking it maybe the lifters (which are new LS7 style). There has been no noises that make me think anything would have been wrong. I just don’t want to pull the heads and the lifters be ok. Any advice would be appreciated. 336-688-2071 is my cell if that’s easier.
Thanks guys.
FB99C4DF-0E30-42AF-A92A-B8E9AD6741FA.jpeg
A7640943-52D8-41A8-84B2-2E8508E47DCE.jpeg

This is an LS motor 6.0. I went to change the oil and found what looks like needle bearings on the drain plug. The longest one measured 12.5mm in length. The others looked broke so I didn’t measure those. I feel this is to long for rocker needle bearings. So I’m thinking it maybe the lifters (which are new LS7 style). There has been no noises that make me think anything would have been wrong. I just don’t want to pull the heads and the lifters be ok. Any advice would be appreciated. 336-688-2071 is my cell if that’s easier.
Thanks guys.
View attachment 364431View attachment 364430
I did the trunnion upgrade on my rockers and I’m pretty sure I might have the old stuff in the shop. I can check in the morning and take a quick measurement for comparison. They look like rocker needles to me.

My first thought is rocker arm needles, but they're only about ¼" long. A ½" long pin is from a lifter. So, have they been replaced before? If so, these were the pins that came out of them and fell in the oil pan. If they've been replaced, they're not noisy, and you have good oil pressure...then you should be good to go.

T01-382x500.jpg

img_9547_684a16b0a4e21a8daeaba154c6d53bfc464cf449.jpg

img_9546_6927315a2ef2c8e232108308f4c3fa02f4b18fff.jpg

If they've never been replaced, then I'd pull a head, pull the lifters on that side, and look at the cam lobes.

Last edited:
My first thought is rocker arm needles, but they're only about ¼" long. A ½" long pin is from a lifter. So, have they been replaced before? If so, these were the pins that came out of them and fell in the oil pan. If they've been replaced, they're not noisy, and you have good oil pressure...then you should be good to go.

View attachment 364441

View attachment 364442

View attachment 364443

If they've never been replaced, then I'd pull a head, pull the lifters on that side, and look at the cam lobes.
I gotcha, we’ll the motor was rebuilt, block cleaned and dipped. New bearings, valve job, valve seals, new lifters, trays, springs, cam etc etc. only thing I didn’t do was the trunnion upgrade lol. Are you thinking this was something left over in an oil galley and has just now made its way to the pan? There are no noises indicating an issue. The motor did over heat on the last trip due to me staying in the throttle for way to long on a hill. Cold start up my oil pressure would be around 75 psi and after the over heat it’s at around 50 psi cold start.
EC03D7D4-77C4-455C-8882-8BE223FB463B.png

That glowing red would be my exhaust from header to tip. It was all hot 😳

Very easy to check is it's a trunion issue or not. Takes not time to pull the rockers.

Very easy to check is it's a trunion issue or not. Takes not time to pull the rockers.
Yeah I pulled the rockers couldn’t see an issue. I’m going to double check today to make sure I didn’t miss something. So I’m trying to figure out if it’s old parts or a new issue. Really don’t won’t to pull the heads. But if I have to I have to.

Yeah I pulled the rockers couldn’t see an issue. I’m going to double check today to make sure I didn’t miss something. So I’m trying to figure out if it’s old parts or a new issue. Really don’t won’t to pull the heads. But if I have to I have to.
Looking like we need to pull the heads.

Thanks guys.
View attachment 364431View attachment 364430
From my old parts, it looks like you’re holding the lifter needles. My roller measures 12ish mm.
C6F5C4EF-C4F6-478B-A24D-76CB3D6401A3.jpeg

And the trunnion needles are quite a bit shorter.
5375908F-3B58-42C1-9CBF-60404D92FD7E.jpeg

Don't hold me to it, but I "think" some of the guys on the Sloppy Mechanics FB group were talking about having some issues with some of the newer LS7 lifters. Not sure if they were talking about GM or aftermarket ones. Not even 100% sure I'm remembering that correctly.

What brand lifters did you use for the rebuild?

Don't hold me to it, but I "think" some of the guys on the Sloppy Mechanics FB group were talking about having some issues with some of the newer LS7 lifters. Not sure if they were talking about GM or aftermarket ones. Not even 100% sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Pretty sure he did LS7 style lifters.

they are BTR LS7 lifters

Since it holds oil pressure, isn't making any noises, and assuming the motor oil didn't look like high end metallic flake paint...I'd feel safe saying it was a leftover that got lodged somewhere.

That said, I intentionally stay away from places like BTR and Texas Speed.

Since it holds oil pressure, isn't making any noises, and assuming the motor oil didn't look like high end metallic flake paint...I'd feel safe saying it was a leftover that got lodged somewhere.

Thanks man I appreciate the information

I intentionally stay away from places like BTR and Texas Speed.
Care to elaborate? I personally wouldn’t hesitate to shop at either, but I’m always willing to learn from others experience.

Not disagreeing, but curious how it could be leftover if the whole motor was torn apart when it was built. Where could the needle bearings have been hiding?

Maybe someone got a little crazy with the rivet gun?

Not disagreeing, but curious how it could be leftover if the whole motor was torn apart when it was built. Where could the needle bearings have been hiding?

If the block was tanked, but they didn't blow out all the oil passages. Could have been hiding somewhere in the heads. Possibly even already in the oil pan. There's lot of little places it could have sat and been completely out of the way, but the dislodged during assembly or after running it for a while once oil pressure flushed it out. There's no telling. For one of those to have come out now...the lifter axle would have had to have come out or the wheel would be worn in half. He'd have certainly seen lots of metal flake during the oil change, a super fuzzy drain plug magnet, certainly have heard some noises, and likely felt a noticeable loss in power. Or it would have at least been running kinda funny.

Care to elaborate? I personally wouldn’t hesitate to shop at either, but I’m always willing to learn from others experience.

Had some dealings with Tooley. Seen a handful of "his" broken valve springs. Lots of recommendations for dual valve springs when it's not needed. Lackluster cam designs and specs. Plus rebranding of other various parts as his own or having a cheaper version of a well known part made and marketed as the same or better, All in all, you can generally get the same thing he sells or something better somewhere else. He's got marketing down, along with Texas Speed, and I guess that's why so many people get stuff from there. I'm of the mindset that the extra 50-100 bucks is totally worth it to me if I'm going through the work and expense of putting a cam in something and getting a setup that's been designed to run with what I have to net the results I want. Not just something that's sorta close. Texas Speed was in the game of guessing for a long time and grinding a lot of cams, but just changing something like lobe separation angle a degree or two. They'd let customers be their guinea pigs, for lack of a better term. I did try to warn a buddy of mine on the west coast not to buy a long block from them. Alas, he did, and not a cheap one. It was a bored/stroked LS2 which wound up at something like 402 ci. It never would make the kind of power it was supposed to, starting dropping oil pressure, spun a rod bearing, and upon disassembly was found to have 3 different brands of cam bearings in it (that also measured different inside diameters), and mismatched rod bearings. They wouldn't give him any money back or make things right with him on the premise that he disassembled it. Who wouldn't in that situation? I think they were rump ruffled that he caught them selling high dollar stuff with subpar workmanship.

If they've got stuff on the shelf that nobody else seems to have, I'll buy it as long as it's not internal engine parts. So far I haven't needed to though. Between Rock Auto, Summit, Scoggins Dickey, or any other number of places I've always been able to find what I needed.

Aside from any of that, I have noticed that Comp's trunion upgrade hasn't been all that great. I've seem some of the rollers are appearing to wear through the case hardening on the rocker shaft itself. I'm going to try out the CHE bushing style rocker setup as soon as I get around to it. I'm not sure if I got a set that didn't get heat treated properly or what. I'll investigate further once I disassemble them.

Back