free roll cage material

John, your spool of wire should arrive tomorrow. I know you didn't ask for it, consider it a gift intended to help out with the upcoming journey of learning.
And I'll repeat what was statedearlier, I think if you look into the simple welding classes at Caldwell, you'll find that they explain all of the things Mac was alluding to above.

John, your spool of wire should arrive tomorrow. I know you didn't ask for it, consider it a gift intended to help out with the upcoming journey of learning.
And I'll repeat what was statedearlier, I think if you look into the simple welding classes at Caldwell, you'll find that they explain all of the things Mac was alluding to above.
well if i do school it will be off the mountain cause we movin...tired of boone and since we go down to Marion/Morganton so often now, figured it would make it WAY WAY easier on me, especially my wife, and our travel period for the family outings. Hope to be moved in couple weeks once i land a job and there are several colleges down there so down the road, might be option depending how things settle in with job, wife's health and stuff. thanks

so nobody has answered my "only one pass" on my bumpers thing...why are they as strong as they are cause now i'm very intrigued as according to the science of welding, that thick bumpers welded on should rip right off with only one pass on 110welder and 4500lb dangling in the air for days....I'm very confused now about all this welding talk cause now i see why everyone says it should've fallen apart year ago but yet everytime i pull or push or yank with my bumpers and slam down on rock with rock sliders, everything holding up like it should...
You haven't stressed those bumpers nearly as much as what occurs in the bend test that Mac posted.

Here's a suggestion - trying taking some scraps and do single-pass, then 2-3x pass on a different set. Then we'll stress test each and show you what happens.

You haven't stressed those bumpers nearly as much as what occurs in the bend test that Mac posted.
OHH well i didn't know. makes sense i guess but still, i would figure it would break off according to all the "you can't weld for shit" comments... no pun intended but its true though.

i got some descent weld pictures under my build "abomination xj" HA HA HA love the name...not half bad looking on that D44 front welds for someone who doesn't even attempt to make the welds look descent

I think what is trying to be said but I could be wrong I'm not a good welder your single pass weld is holding because it's having a single load but on the entire length of the weld at an even building pressure as you lift the jeep off the ground. If it was shock loaded it could cause problems later on down the road. Even if you can't see a stress crack it could still be there. Think of it like a 2x4 you can slowly add your body weight to it until your standing on it. Now take the same 2x4 and jump on it one hard time does it break? Maybe maybe not but you keep jumping on it. It will start cracking and eventually break

I think what is trying to be said but I could be wrong I'm not a good welder your single pass weld is holding because it's having a single load but on the entire length of the weld at an even building pressure as you lift the jeep off the ground. If it was shock loaded it could cause problems later on down the road. Even if you can't see a stress crack it could still be there. Think of it like a 2x4 you can slowly add your body weight to it until your standing on it. Now take the same 2x4 and jump on it one hard time does it break? Maybe maybe not but you keep jumping on it. It will start cracking and eventually break
yep. Except also it's not clear how much he has actually loaded it up (in pounds) b/c the back end of the Jeep is still on the ground.

^^^sounds legit. thing is i've put my bumpers through some strenuous crap on purpose to test em and they hold...but again maybe pulling stumps and trucks ain't the same thing as some machine bending it obviously.
I bet this machine test thingy is gonna make my welds fail miserably and then all hell will break loose then

yep. Except also it's not clear how much he has actually loaded it up (in pounds) b/c the back end of the Jeep is still on the ground.
true

^^^sounds legit. thing is i've put my bumpers through some strenuous crap on purpose to test em and they hold...but again maybe pulling stumps and trucks ain't the same thing as some machine bending it obviously.
I bet this machine test thingy is gonna make my welds fail miserably and then all hell will break loose then
The angle of the load also plays into the stress. Butt two 2x4 and put a small piece of plywood on it with a couple screws pull or push on it straight on its gonna be pretty strong. Now stand on the joint or hit it on the side at the joint it will react differently in all three situations

weld test = tensile strength, elasticity, and fusion of weldment in a perfect set up and good position.
bumpers or what ever=a combination of engineering, part strengths, choice of materials, weldment, and execution of the whole.

You may simply have enough square inches of varying degrees of weld quality to hold a load, impact, or what have you........but you may or may not have enough to prevent catastrophic failure given an undetermined load. Simply an over engineered piece can hide poor design execution for some time, just like over welding. But given a certain stress or strain failure is evident.

So chew on this fact. ER70 series wire commonly used in solid wire mig welding has a tested tensile strength of 70,000 pounds. But it does this when applied under test criteria. So why should anybodies weld ever fail?
The answer is application and execution. So in short welding isn't so simple to explain or prove satisfactory per part design. So as a standard industry recognizes the bend test and other methods as a satisfactory testing procedure to prove the ability to properly carry out the process. It does not prove you can create something useful or safe as a result.

I'm starting a go fund me account.
Wonder how much we'll need to ship this to marty?
20160214_165008.jpg
any body wanna chip in? I'll hack it and box it up.

Last edited:
weld test = tensile strength, elasticity, and fusion of weldment in a perfect set up and good position.
bumpers or what ever=a combination of engineering, part strengths, choice of materials, weldment, and execution of the whole.

You may simply have enough square inches of varying degrees of weld quality to hold a load, impact, or what have you........but you may or may not have enough to prevent catastrophic failure given an undetermined load. Simply an over engineered piece can hide poor design execution for some time, just like over welding. But given a certain stress or strain failure is evident.

So chew on this fact. ER70 series wire commonly used in solid wire mig welding has a tested tensile strength of 70,000 pounds. But it does this when applied under test criteria. So why should anybodies weld ever fail?
The answer is application and execution. So in short welding isn't so simple to explain or prove satisfactory per part design. So as a standard industry recognizes the bend test and other methods as a satisfactory testing procedure to prove the ability to properly carry out the process. It does not prove you can create something useful or safe as a result.
seems to make sense i reckon....

I'm starting a go fund me account.
Wonder how much we'll need to ship this to marty?View attachment 211049any body wanna chip in? I'll hack it and box it up.
don't do it i got enough scrap as it is and need that gone before we leave...funny though

Dang, I haven't been following this thread and I miss all the good stuff... So is "marty79" actually banned or is it just a banner over his profile?

Dang, I haven't been following this thread and I miss all the good stuff... So is "marty79" actually banned or is it just a banner over his profile?
He hasn't been banned again, just has a banned band.

He hasn't been banned again, just has a banned band.
It is my opinion that his banned banner should be rainbow colored and someone "on the inside" should figure out an appropriate profile pic, and add that to his account.

His banned twice banner does not bring the shame,. He wears it like a mocking badge of honor.

It is my opinion that his banned banner should be rainbow colored and someone "on the inside" should figure out an appropriate profile pic, and add that to his account.

I'm gonna go out on a ledge here and say this will be how he responds:

I don't have that much free time. :rolleyes:

His banned twice banner does not bring the shame,. He wears it like a mocking badge of honor.
@Dylan W. To much salt...we need more trampolines and oranges instead.

i got the wire today...thank you for the gift

Back