Fuel Prices report

I paid 3.99/gal for diesel this morning at an Exxon in Concord. This evening I drove by the QT in Concord that I normally fill up at and diesel was 4.19/gal.

Diesel was 4.09 at the Harris Teeter up the road, and when I got into town everywhere was between 4.29 and 4.39. I filled up at the HT on the way back, 167 bucks.......

Duane

This was 1.5 weeks ago... I guess when people start dumping these things because of gas prices maybe I can pick another one up cheap.
20220221_184303.jpg

20220221_184601.jpg

I decided to pay attention to prices while driving my son to school this morning. I past 5 gas stations.

Regular 87 = $3.70-$3.90
Diesel = $4.40-$4.70
Ethanol free = $5.00

Didn’t need gas yesterday…was sitting at a quarter tank…but made the eternal mistake of not getting gas when you think about it and I’d get it after work. At 9am yesterday my usual gas spot was $3.49/gal…when I filled up at 730pm on the way back home, it was $3.89/gal. That spike always amazes me, especially considering they didn’t get a truck in. I know that’s not how commodities work…but that gas in their tank didn’t magically get 40cents/gal better over those 10hrs.

Didn’t need gas yesterday…was sitting at a quarter tank…but made the eternal mistake of not getting gas when you think about it and I’d get it after work. At 9am yesterday my usual gas spot was $3.49/gal…when I filled up at 730pm on the way back home, it was $3.89/gal. That spike always amazes me, especially considering they didn’t get a truck in. I know that’s not how commodities work…but that gas in their tank didn’t magically get 40cents/gal better over those 10hrs.
That's how capitalism works though.
If you're listing your car for 20gs and get amazing repsonse, nothing prevents you from changing the price and bringing it up. The "right" price is the highest one people will pay for.

If you're listing your car for 20gs and get amazing repsonse, nothing prevents you from changing the price and bringing it up. The "right" price is the highest one people will pay for.
Gouging!

I'm well aware...and the commodities market is a bit more complex than brick and mortar capitalism. It really is unique, since most business models can't/aren't fluctuating prices of their products 10%+ in either direction on a daily (hourly) basis. If car or lumber prices are going up, they're going up, and they'll start sloping downward as supply starts meeting demand (or inflation starts dropping) or people get sick of paying the prices...you're probably not going to see that same car or lumber peak today and then be 5% cheaper than two mornings ago, when you wake up the next morning, then peak again 10 hours later. The volatility just isn't there, unless something really, really bad happens. Pricing an item where the market can handle it is a tale as old as time, but usually you're not going to price it multiple times a day.

Last edited:
Now is when having an excursion with a 44 gallon tank and a f450 with a 40 gallon sucks. I just go in and have them turn the pump on, sucks having it shut off more than once...

That spike always amazes me, especially considering they didn’t get a truck in.…but that gas in their tank didn’t magically get 40cents/gal better over those 10hrs.
QFT.

I'm well aware...and the commodities market is a bit more complex than brick and mortar capitalism. It really is unique, since most business models can't/aren't fluctuating prices of their products 10%+ in either direction on a daily (hourly) basis. If car or lumber prices are going up, they're going up, and they'll start sloping downward as supply starts meeting demand (or inflation starts dropping) or people get sick of paying the prices...you're probably not going to see that same car or lumber peak today and then be 5% cheaper than two mornings ago, when you wake up in the next morning, then peak again 10 hours later. The volatility just isn't there, unless something really, really bad happens. Pricing an item where the market can handle it is a tale as old as time, but usually you're not going to price it multiple times a day.
I buy quite a few commodities and you are 100% correct. We turn 8ish commodities into different finished products and when those input prices change daily, and my customers will only honor price increases after X number of days notice, it becomes a real headache, especially right now.

I'm well aware...and the commodities market is a bit more complex than brick and mortar capitalism. It really is unique, since most business models can't/aren't fluctuating prices of their products 10%+ in either direction on a daily (hourly) basis. If car or lumber prices are going up, they're going up, and they'll start sloping downward as supply starts meeting demand (or inflation starts dropping) or people get sick of paying the prices...you're probably not going to see that same car or lumber peak today and then be 5% cheaper than two mornings ago, when you wake up in the next morning, then peak again 10 hours later. The volatility just isn't there, unless something really, really bad happens. Pricing an item where the market can handle it is a tale as old as time, but usually you're not going to price it multiple times a day.
We base ours off of replacement cost typically. We do this as we turnover our inventory so rapidly we rarely have "old stock" sitting around. This also keeps us from getting in a bind when/if the market drops rapidly. We are generally within a week of market fluctuation.

The little mom n pop by me (Clover/Lake Wylie, SC area) is usually a tad higher than the big names, but they usually don't update their prices until they get a refill, so when there's a spike, it takes them a week or 2 to catch up. They have had non-ethanol 89 for $3.29 for the past week or so, where the 711 across the street has regular stuff at 3.59 & diesel for 4.09 I believe. I've pretty much filled up every vehicle and gas can I have at this point.

I paid 3.99/gal for diesel this morning at an Exxon in Concord. This evening I drove by the QT in Concord that I normally fill up at and diesel was 4.19/gal.
In Mt Pleasant diesel was at $4.49 or .45 this morning can’t remember, then through Harrisburg it was 4.09/4.19 and then the HT still had it at 3.99 I didn’t pay attention on the way home from work but I’m hoping it’s still reasonable tomorrow as I’ll need some diesel

My wife just texted that gasoline is 3.73 in Mount Airy 😮

3.319 reg and 3.899 diesel in southwest Charlotte
20220303_174339.jpg

Back