Gas Super Duty's to avoid

I can say this. I regeared a brand new 2018 F350 with a 6.2 a couple years back. Installed 4.30s and a trans tune.
That thing ripped! Dude towed a 9500# 5th wheel like a champ.
I've driven v10 excursions with 3.73s & 4.30s and there is a night and day difference

I have been looking around at different Ford 250's and stumbled across this one.

Used 2016 Ford Super Duty F-250 XLT Crew Cab 4WD for Sale in Greensboro NC 27406 Rick's Used Cars

6.2 $29K 109K miles. Is that priced about right or high? I haven't seen anything bad on the 6.2's but I have not looked close. Thoughts?

I like it, but more than I need...I'd love to step up to the later Alumina Duty's - that would necessitate dumping my driver '17 F150 & buying a beater daily (the 4x4 Super Duty's will not fit in the parking deck @ work, too tall - the F-350 Dually we have is too wide to fit in the entrance to said deck)

Seems like that's close to diesel truck money, but im out of touch with the gas market.
I've just started looking really. I saw a new 7.3 F250 at a local dealership for $47K. With the wife's newish car, '18 Passat GT, I'm not needing the '14 Tdi Jetta. F150 just tripped 202K and I'm looking at getting a newer lower millage vehicle. Prefer a F250 for future tow duties and I really like that Green they did around 14 - 15. I thought it was a little high but wasn't sure. I have no clue on F250 prices.

I have been looking around at different Ford 250's and stumbled across this one.

Used 2016 Ford Super Duty F-250 XLT Crew Cab 4WD for Sale in Greensboro NC 27406 Rick's Used Cars

6.2 $29K 109K miles. Is that priced about right or high? I haven't seen anything bad on the 6.2's but I have not looked close. Thoughts?

I feel like it is fair-ish. I guess these trucks are holding very good value. This was a sheet one sales guy printed out for me when I was considering buying a new 19 F250 in 2020.

Obviously I wasn’t there to buy anything so I hadn’t stepped up to the negotiation table yet. But if you cause them enough pain I feel like you can drive a brand new truck off of the lot for only a little bit more than you would a used truck with 100k on the clock. So is it even worth buying a used truck from a dealer? Does that make sense?

A6CFEE0E-F4FC-4903-A1BF-B9255A2CE8CE.png

I've just started looking really. I saw a new 7.3 F250 at a local dealership for $47K. With the wife's newish car, '18 Passat GT, I'm not needing the '14 Tdi Jetta. F150 just tripped 202K and I'm looking at getting a newer lower millage vehicle. Prefer a F250 for future tow duties and I really like that Green they did around 14 - 15. I thought it was a little high but wasn't sure. I have no clue on F250 prices.

Brand hammer new well optioned Ram 3500 diesels can be had for $51k. Just a heads up comparing the two

FTFY

31dodge.tv
Website says $51k and thats a regular cab, fairly low option (i know you said liveable) truck setup for a 12-14ft bed. Looks more like $60k plus for a well optioned 4x4 crew diesel.

Website says $51k and thats a regular cab, fairly low option (i know you said liveable) truck setup for a 12-14ft bed. Looks more like $60k plus for a well optioned 4x4 crew diesel.
Last week there were more than 7 under$50k

That's a good reason!

This is the 2012 that I test drove yesterday. It was pretty dirty since it hadn't been through detailing yet. Body was in good shape, interior was decent overall. Had a pretty crappy muffler shop dual exhaust on it, a K&N intake and mud tires with about 25% tread left. Typical Ford rust on the bed rails underneath but no other rust and always been an NC truck.

Autotrader - page unavailable

If looking for a mid-2000s model truck, gas, it looks like the 3v 5.4 came in with the coil spring suspensions, correct? My old 03 had leafs, but was 7.3, so didnt pay as much attention to the gas ones and when they changed over.

Will be a 3rd vehicle situation, so I don't want to jump into a brand new truck (or payment) for a truck that will sit mostly.

If looking for a mid-2000s model truck, gas, it looks like the 3v 5.4 came in with the coil spring suspensions, correct? My old 03 had leafs, but was 7.3, so didnt pay as much attention to the gas ones and when they changed over.

Will be a 3rd vehicle situation, so I don't want to jump into a brand new truck (or payment) for a truck that will sit mostly.
2005 and newer went to coil springs with better ride and tighter turning radius, bigger brakes, and beefier drivetrain components. The diesels went from a 4 speed auto to a much beefier 5 speed. I think the v10s did too, but not sure about the 5.4s.

People talk shit about the 5.4 but I have one in my driveway that has 202K on it and never seen anything but 5K mile oil changes. It also was rumored to potentially kill a bus load of nuns on the way to Harlan.... ;)

People talk shit about the 5.4 but I have one in my driveway that has 202K on it and never seen anything but 5K mile oil changes. It also was rumored to potentially kill a bus load of nuns on the way to Harlan.... ;)
Can't say that the "horror stories" don't worry me as much, but it's not all as scary as they really are, working in automotive repair personally. I just don't want any of that stuff to be my truck! :)

Here’s the othe thing. If a 5.4 shits the bed ....worst case scenario it’s what - $3k ? and you have a crate engine with a 50k mile warranty?

Here’s the othe thing. If a 5.4 shits the bed ....worst case scenario it’s what - $3k ? and you have a crate engine with a 50k mile warranty?
If i remember correctly it was around 5500 for a reman engine in our 04 f150. The factory engine made it 200k and I think the reman made it 180k.

The 5.4 ain't bad. Our shop truck had 250k or more and was still going. Only "issue" with them is you gotta rev them to the moon when towing

Back