Help me figure this one out

I would bet its more likely to be a rusted spot on a bearing due to sitting than anything else in the transmission.

When is the pool going to start?! Before the results come in?! Lmao

Just got word back from the trans shop. 2nd gear syncos were gone and and the rear output bearing was pitted. Guess that explains the metal in the pan.

They put it all back together and went for a test drive, still does the same thing, no difference at all. 3rd gear vib in high range and 5th gear in low range. WTH?

Any other idea's?

Winner!!!!

Edit: damn. Too quick

Burn the Jeep and get another one I reckon. And nothing wrong with the front output bearing either?

Are the speeds about the same between 3hi and 5lo? If so, that would make me think it would be tcase output or behind.

Let me recap just so I can quit scrolling back and forth to see whats been done/mentioned:

Jeep had vibe on arrival
Changed gears, rear DS, and SYE
Vibe became more pronounced
Vibe is present on ground, on jacks, with both shafts, and with only either shaft
Vibe is present with 3 different SYE and different Tcase
Vibe is present with repaired transmission
Leaf springs checked
Motor mounts and trans mounts checked
Wheel bearings checked (front and rear?)

Did I miss anything? I saw question of the clutch being the culprit, was it replaced when the trans was out?

I think it was Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick :flipoff2:

Duane

Winner!!!!

Edit: damn. Too quick

Burn the Jeep and get another one I reckon. And nothing wrong with the front output bearing either?

He said everything looked good other than what I mentioned.

Let me recap just so I can quit scrolling back and forth to see whats been done/mentioned:

Jeep had vibe on arrival - Yes
Changed gears, rear DS, and SYE - Yes and added a True Trac to the rear.
Vibe became more pronounced - Correct
Vibe is present on ground, on jacks, with both shafts, and with only either shaft - Yes, but gone with no shafts attached.
Vibe is present with 3 different SYE and different Tcase - Correct
Vibe is present with repaired transmission - Yup
Leaf springs checked - Yes
Motor mounts and trans mounts checked - Yes
Wheel bearings checked (front and rear?) Wheel Bearing in the front are new (isn) Rears looked good when I was doing the gears.

Did I miss anything? I saw question of the clutch being the culprit, was it replaced when the trans was out? Not replaced, but inspected and looked good.

I think it was Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick :flipoff2:

Duane

Let's work backwards.
The only time its gone is with no shafts. Since it follows both or either shafts that leads me to only 2 possible solutions
1) Both drive shafts are out of balance. Since it's you I am doubting this is the culprit just acknowledging it is feasible
2) The issue is related to loading on the drivetrain. With no load no vibe.
So now let's dive into #2
A) Its present regardless of T-Case selection so lets eliminate that as the culprit.
B) Rebuilt Trans which eliminates internal trans issue, still leaves potential for some external alignment, mount hole wallow, bind issue however unlikely it may be still a possibility..
C) Engine issue

If it were me and it couldnt be lived with (BTW have we established in this thread what kind of vibe we are talking about? Are we talking .."There is a slight vibration there can you feel it?" or are we talking "Holy Shit any worse and this qualifies as death wobble") but my first action would be to swap every mount in the vehicle. Both motor mounts, trans mount and t-case mount. The mounts primary purpose other than locating and maintaining location is to isolate rotational harmonics from the cabin. A failure in any of these could transmit those vibes even if they dont show any visible signs of wear.

If those are replaced and the vibe remains the only remaining culprit is the engine.
Id check the harmonic balancer and the crank shaft end play. And not visually, Id get caliper level run out measurements

EDIT - Wait just saw your response on the Clutch....before I did any of the above Id have the clutch and bearing replaced and the plate checked for run out/warpage on machine and re balanced. Visual isnt going to identify this level of vibe that I am assuming we are talking about.

Double Edit - Have alternate tires, wheels been used on any tests?

Does it on the lift, but stops when the d-shafts are removed? I say it's time to move to the axles.

Let's work backwards.
The only time its gone is with no shafts. Since it follows both or either shafts that leads me to only 2 possible solutions
1) Both drive shafts are out of balance. Since it's you I am doubting this is the culprit just acknowledging it is feasible
2) The issue is related to loading on the drivetrain. With no load no vibe.
So now let's dive into #2
A) Its present regardless of T-Case selection so lets eliminate that as the culprit.
B) Rebuilt Trans which eliminates internal trans issue, still leaves potential for some external alignment, mount hole wallow, bind issue however unlikely it may be still a possibility..
C) Engine issue

If it were me and it couldnt be lived with (BTW have we established in this thread what kind of vibe we are talking about? Are we talking .."There is a slight vibration there can you feel it?" or are we talking "Holy Shit any worse and this qualifies as death wobble") but my first action would be to swap every mount in the vehicle. Both motor mounts, trans mount and t-case mount. The mounts primary purpose other than locating and maintaining location is to isolate rotational harmonics from the cabin. A failure in any of these could transmit those vibes even if they dont show any visible signs of wear.

If those are replaced and the vibe remains the only remaining culprit is the engine.
Id check the harmonic balancer and the crank shaft end play. And not visually, Id get caliper level run out measurements

EDIT - Wait just saw your response on the Clutch....before I did any of the above Id have the clutch and bearing replaced and the plate checked for run out/warpage on machine and re balanced. Visual isnt going to identify this level of vibe that I am assuming we are talking about.

Double Edit - Have alternate tires, wheels been used on any tests?

While I agree with most of what was said, what gets me is the vibe seams to be speed related, not RPM. I have seen my fair share of clutches vibrate but always at certain RPMs not speeds, same with the balancer. Since the vibe is normally in 3rd gear and moves to 5th when the T-case is in low range, then whatever is causing the vibes has got to be after the reduction in the case and directly related to driveshaft or axle speed.

Try pushing it down a hill at speed with the driveshafts out and see if it vibrates.

Repeat with and without driver and/or brakes until problem is solved.
I wonder about this too. I would pull the shafts and get towed down the road while idling. This would give data on rolling without load.

While I agree with most of what was said, what gets me is the vibe seams to be speed related, not RPM. I have seen my fair share of clutches vibrate but always at certain RPMs not speeds, same with the balancer. Since the vibe is normally in 3rd gear and moves to 5th when the T-case is in low range, then whatever is causing the vibes has got to be after the reduction in the case and directly related to driveshaft or axle speed.

It's a long shot, but in my head I'm chasing the vibe being related to resonance/harmonicsov which are occurring at a certain frequency.

I mean if it's dead nuts constant we could do probably some math and get a clue on the source based on multiplication of gearing

Have you mounted a gopro inner the rig during a road test?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Make sure the motor mounts aren't worn out too while you're at it

I really hate this crap for you.
Buy the Jeep. At this point I think it would cost you less.

Back