Hurricane Helene

For anyone local that wants to help.

Hurricane Relief Donation Drive_20241002_171637_0000.png

Was looking to head to Ashe County way tomorrow-ish through the weekend. Have capable truck, chain saw, 100 gallons of gas carrying capacity. Was going to head up and just try to fall in somewhere but if anybody has anything halfway organized I'd join up. Self suffecient to stay in the field through the weekend as well.

EDIT: For what it's worth I've signed up with and called all of the 'gov' agencies saying to do so before coming. Haven't heard back from any of them. Was just gonna show up and see what shakes out...

Was looking to head to Ashe County way tomorrow-ish through the weekend. Have capable truck, chain saw, 100 gallons of gas carrying capacity. Was going to head up and just try to fall in somewhere but if anybody has anything halfway organized I'd join up. Self suffecient to stay in the field through the weekend as well.

EDIT: For what it's worth I've signed up with and called all of the 'gov' agencies saying to do so before coming. Haven't heard back from any of them. Was just gonna show up and see what shakes out...

I'm going to try directly with Ashe Co Sheriff's Office in the morning and plan on heading that way early Saturday morning with the SxS, fuel, saws and a small stockpile of 2 stroke oil, bar oil, dump cans, tarps, etc.

Friend's dad from the Scout Troop headed to Lansing today with a truck and trailer full of supplies the Troop collected. He was planning to stay through the weekend to help with cleanup.

I'm going to try directly with Ashe Co Sheriff's Office in the morning and plan on heading that way early Saturday morning with the SxS, fuel, saws and a small stockpile of 2 stroke oil, bar oil, dump cans, tarps, etc.

From what I’ve gathered from the Ashe county Facebook pages, no help will be turned away and you can come in the county no problem.

EDIT: Confirmed no curfew in Ashe county and no permission needed to travel in and around the county.

Also confirmed 421 to 221 to West Jefferson is open. 88 is open to Warrensville and to Creston but can’t go farther than that.

IMG_0020.png

Last edited:
Day 6, I think, supplies are heading in, thank everyone! The people I know have been checked in on, on the east side power is being restored, putting generators in place, my favorite part of the day was being able to pet my friends daughters dog James, he needed some attention, so did I!

I hate to bother asking, but did the Chemi-con plant on the road to Lansing get washed away? Or was it even open still? My first job post college was there in 2004 and I met a lot of fine individuals and families from my time there.
I didn’t see it for myself, but was told that it was in bad shape. It was still open prior to the hurricane.

Halfway packed up. Probably on the road noonish tomorrow. Will report if I’m any help at all. Every single post I’ve seen has chainsaw and related stuff on the list so that’s what my load will be. I keep wondering why they’re not requesting backpacking water filters (kind that screw on to any plastic bottle). You can’t walk more than a mile around there and not see water trickling down down something. It’s how we survive on recreational trips. Obviously the big creek at the bottom is off limits right now.

Halfway packed up. Probably on the road noonish tomorrow. Will report if I’m any help at all. Every single post I’ve seen has chainsaw and related stuff on the list so that’s what my load will be. I keep wondering why they’re not requesting backpacking water filters (kind that screw on to any plastic bottle). You can’t walk more than a mile around there and not see water trickling down down something. It’s how we survive on recreational trips. Obviously the big creek at the bottom is off limits right now.
Likely because of all of the water being trucked in. Its just overlooked. But it does no good for the SAR teams and volunteers in the field if they run out or deliver it all and something happens.

I'm also heading to Lansing Saturday morning for sure maybe sooner. Bringing some gas and oil with me along with meds, food and a couple of gennies. I also plan on bringing as much water and other supplies as I can haul. Will be driving the f350 with winch and ropes and tools. Might tow the car trailer if I get enough supplies by then.

I have enough issues to take care and deal with myself, but if someone has a solid plan or contact, I can get a skid of water( 2024 bottles) and bring side by side to help with deliveries or whatever needs done on Saturday morning. Just don’t want to waist my time driving up and not being able to help, if you know what I mean.

@ncsutj will definitely be given 100% To the people.
And they need to be.Folks here are learning the pitfalls of dealing with FEMA and TEMA.They are coming in and taking donations (food,water,goods and money).The only ones they arent bothering is churches.They arent even wanting volunteer help unless they have been trained first.

Last edited:
That is correct. The authorities have been relying on locals with atvs and side by sides to reach the most isolated.
Are they looking to move supplies or people? Considering taking the XJ up for transport of supplies. Really only a 2 seater back seat is ok for short ride and small people due to the cage. Would prefer to trailer it up then drive locally.

We went out to a friend of a friend of Jakes today to help her salvage what she could.Her house was across the road from the river and was completely submerged in water.For context her house is about a 100 or so yards from the river and on a slope.Water was up to the gutter.If youll notice they have shoveled mud out of one of the bedroom windows.
IMG_9575.JPG

For reference thats my truck sitting in front of her house,next to the river.
IMG_8116.JPG

For those that have been following the news,this is the earnest Bridge they have been talking about
IMG_8124.JPG

Some random pics.

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9584.JPG
IMG_9586.JPG
IMG_9587.JPG
IMG_9589.JPG

The folks that live next door to her paid 1.2 mill back in Jul for this place,it was completely under water too.
IMG_8105.JPG

Last edited:
My cousin in Sparta is posting that folks are also trying to make sure farmers have water for livestock and they are collecting and distributing feed.

There are a few trucks of square and round bales headed to WNC. Hardly enough I’m sure. A couple of co-ops and other ag groups have been securing donations for pallets of feed.

While some of this is a concern for now as pasture is in poor shape from flooding, securing hay and feed through the winter is going to be an absolute nightmare. The summer drought affected a lot of 2nd cuttings for people with poor yield.

I was planning to go to Creston on Friday. Was going to unload HMMWV at a parking lot in Todd and drive it from there. I don't really have any donations to take at the moment. I was planning on taking saws and fuel and doing whatever they tell me to do. If someone has donation stuff, feel free to contact me.

Back