Hurricane Helene

I am heading down with a group from PA & OH. Please let me know where we can go to help. We are bringing supplies
Start with these places in Ashe county

UPDATED 10/1/24; Continuing to update as info comes in!
ASHE COUNTY DONATION DROPOFF LOCATIONS/CONTACTS LIST.
Ashe County Locals please help me get the most up to date info, post will be updated as information comes in! Thank you in advance!! Please share!
24 LOCAL DONATION LOCATIONS AND COUNTING!

1. THIRD DAY MARKET (Local business)
599 NC Highway 16 S, Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 846-1089
Emily Anderson
Dropoff donations are being sent to Lansing, NC. WATER IS A HIGH NEED FOR THIS DROPOFF LOCATION.

2. REGENCY PROPERTIES (Local business)
204 E Main St. West Jefferson, NC 28694
OPEN 8am-5pm
MAIN NEED: Water bottles/jugs/water containers, linens/bed sheets, towels (new), diapers size 2 or 3, chainsaw supplies-bar oil, 2-cycle engine oil, pre-mixed 2-cycle engine fuel and replacement chains.

3. JIMMY AND JEANS (Local business)
OPEN 11am-7pm
230 Hice Ave, West Jefferson, NC 28694
336-977-7307 or 336-977-6849
Accepting dropoff donations.
MAIN NEED: VOLUNTEERS for accepting donations, processing donations and taking deliveries to people; Water water water, canned goods, cleanup supplies, trashbags, brooms, mops, buckets with lids, toiletries, hygiene, cat/dog food, toothbrushes/ toothpaste. NO LONGER ACCEPTING CLOTHING DONATIONS.
Taylor Lonon Jimmy & Jean’s Family Entertainment and Arcade

4. RANDY MARION FORD (Local business)
409 E 2nd St, West Jefferson, NC 28694
(336) 939-5060
DONATION DROPOFF LOCATION

5. RANDY MARION CHEVROLET OF WEST JEFFERSON (Local business)
1773 Mount Jefferson Rd, West Jefferson, NC 28694
(336) 846-4683
DONATION DROPOFF LOCATION

6. NEW RIVER REALTY AND RENTALS (local business)
234 E Main St. Jefferson NC 28640
Contact Amy 336-9092
Donation dropoff for pet supplies and food
🐶
🐱
, text or call Amy to coordinate.

7. WEST JEFFERSON METHODIST CHURCH
⛪️

107 W 2nd St. West Jefferson, NC 28694
Donation dropoff with some delivery capacity heading up to Creston (made four deliveries today - thanks to Ashe Pantry): If you can get food (protein/produce, non-perishables) but also things like toilet paper and adult diapers to the church, working to get them out where needed. Also, has both meals to take and hot meals/drinks served on premise.
8. CRESTON FIRE DEPARTMENT
🚨

(This area was hit catastrophically, may be hard to navigate if bringing trailer of goods)
336-385-6500
163 3 Top Rd. Creston, NC 28615
Donation dropoff location, WOULD ALSO APPRECIATE HOT MEAL BEING BROUGHT TO THIS LOCATION FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERS.
MAIN NEED: Matches, lighters, batteries, flashlights, any hygiene products, feminine hygiene products. And sugar free beverages/foods for community members.
9. WARRENSVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
🚨

****DONATIONS CURRENTLY BEING DEFERRED TO WARRENSVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH FOR THIS LOCATION.****
***WBC address: 130 Church St, Warrensville, NC 28693
(336) 384-3044
MAIN NEED: WATER, non-perishable food, feminine products, toiletries, dry shampoo, paper products, batteries/flashlights, protein shakes, clorox wipes, propane stoves, tarps, shovels/brooms, radio's am/fm and Hamm, gloves.
10. FLEETWOOD FIRE DEPARTMENT
🚨

9026 US Highway 221 S, Fleetwood, NC 28626
(336) 877-5100
DONATION DROPOFF LOCATION AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER.
Added to list 10/1/24
NEW RIVER FIRE DEPARTMENT
🚨

6067 NC Highway 16 N, Crumpler, NC 28617
(336) 982-4700
DONATION DROPOFF LOCATION.
11. FAMILY CENTRAL
🏫

Open 8am-5pm
626 Ashe Central School Rd, Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 982-8121
Donation dropoff location.
MAIN NEEDS: batteries size C & D, flashlights, and adult pull ups. In addition to water, paper towels, toilet paper, non perishable goods, gluten free/sugar free goods, toiletries, deodorant and cleanup supplies including utility trashbags and Clorox wipes.

12. ASHE FOOD PANTRY
336-846-7019
115 Colvard Street, Jefferson NC 28640
Donation dropoff and distribution location.
Also ACCEPTING MONETARY DONATIONS ONLINE
https://my-site-105273-102975.square.site and MAILED to PO Box 705 Jefferson, NC 28640 with a matching gift opportunity. Any funds donated will be matched up to $100,000.

13. ASHE COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
336-846-5521
136 Fallen Hero Lane, Jefferson, NC 28640
OPEN 8-5 Monday-Friday
Call them for an updated list of supplies they are needing/taking at the moment.

14. ASHE REALLY CARES
336-846-5234
OPEN 9am-3pm
204 Beaver Creek School Rd. West Jefferson, NC 28694
Donation dropoff and distribution location.
15. ASHE COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
🐾

184 Campus Dr, West Jefferson, NC 28694
336-846-2400
Shelter and Dropoff location.
Contact: Rachel Shepherd, Facebook seems to be the best way to reach most people, cell phone service is minimal.
16. MOUNTAIN VIEW ELEMENTARY
💜

OPEN 8am-5pm
2789 Hwy 221 North, Jefferson, NC 28640
Donation dropoff and distribution center.
17. WESTWOOD ELEMENTARY
💙

OPEN 8am-5pm
4083 US Highway 221 South, West Jefferson, NC 28640
18. BLUE RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
❤️

Open 8am-5pm
5778 NC-88W, Warrensville, NC 28693
19. APPALACHIAN CHURCH
⛪️

Deferring donations to our local elementary schools listed above.
Steve Ashley 336-977-2911
Cori Mash 828-406-3948
20. ASHE COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT
140 Government Cir, Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 846-5600
NEEDING VOLUNTEERS TO OFFLOAD TRUCK 10/02/24, check Ashe County Sheriff Department Facebook page for time! Possibly 11-1pm!
Ashe County Sheriffs Office
21. WJ UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
⛪️

107 W 2nd St, West Jefferson, NC 28694
Check their Facebook page for more updates!
West Jefferson United Methodist Church
22. JEFFERSON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
⛪️

115 E Main St, Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 846-9512
DROPOFF LOCATION AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER, ALSO OFFERING WATER-WIFI-SHOWERS-CHARGING SERVICES.
23. STYLE DEPOT (Local business)
288 E Main St. Jefferson NC 28640
Donation drop off location.
24. WARRENSVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH
⛪️

(Taking overflow donations from Lansing FD)
130 Church St, Warrensville, NC 28693
(336) 384-3044
DONATION DROP OFF LOCATION.
25. LANSING FIRE DEPARTMENT
🚨

(Asked to hold on taking donations for right now. As of 9/30/24 3:18pm)
9281 Nc Highway 194 N, Lansing, NC 28643 ·
(336) 384-4545

Last edited:
I had an early meeting at Iredell/ Statesville school admin today. It was foggy as hell, but left the meeting about 9 and headed back east on 40 to Winston. I passed @Hoodw!nk with his sundowner FULL of supplies for Mars Hill, and about 300 linemen in trucks headed west. Then several civilian trucks and trailers loaded down with pallets of bottled water and supplies. As well as about 30 trucks pulling bunk house trailers similar to this but with yellow lower half and v-nose

bunk-bed-trailer-exterior-980x653.jpg

It was very heart warming seeing so many head that way to help. I hope to be doing the same tomorrow

Munchkins trail life troop us collecting supplies to take up to Boone on 10/12. If anyone wants to donate, we will have a collection sit in elkin or you can reach out to me.

I had an early meeting at Iredell/ Statesville school admin today. It was foggy as hell, but left the meeting about 9 and headed back east on 40 to Winston. I passed @Hoodw!nk with his sundowner FULL of supplies for Mars Hill, and about 300 linemen in trucks headed west. Then several civilian trucks and trailers loaded down with pallets of bottled water and supplies. As well as about 30 trucks pulling bunk house trailers similar to this but with yellow lower half and v-nose

bunk-bed-trailer-exterior-980x653.jpg

It was very heart warming seeing so many head that way to help. I hope to be doing the same tomorrow
The highways was a straight convoy of people yesterday heading that way. Food trucks and all, was great to see

Me and my family, including @thebrotherinlaw and my sister are ok and not in need any of outside assistance. There's a multitude of people in dire need of basic life sustaining items.
That said, all of y'all stepping up makes this pretty hard dude really emotional. We appreciate all of the voluntary support. Truly.

Ive got tractor trailer loads of mobile gens headed to the area from Wisconsin - should be arriving today. All total 24 100kW towable multivolt units that will be deployed for a variety of uses.

Additionally the manufacturer sent a storm response team to try and help those with residential gens damaged to get them working to provide "points of light" through some of the impacted areas.

Its a tad overwhelming. When you work 72 straight hours and get 30-40 people up and going and then you realize you have merely made a drop in the bucket. But no buckets fill without any drops.

I've slept a grand total of about 10 hours since thursday morning. running on fumes but wouldn't change anything Ive done.

i can see us 74 for from my house. i sat on the back porch last night and the amount of equipment, people and supplies starting to funnel into the area is crazy. i saw probably 30-40 fuel tankers going in last night as well as lots of box trucks and refer trucks going in. i saw over 100 boarder patrol trucks this morning. helicopters and following the highways and i can watch them from work below us.

it is still bad and going to be bad for a while but i think assistance is finally pouring in from every roadway that is passable so things should start looking better.

Anybody in the spruce pine area know a guy named Chance Boone? He had a family owned business called explosives supply and he did hauling and boom truck work. Been trying to reach him the last few days with no luck. I found a video this morning that just coincidentally showed his shop and my heart sank.

About the 2:30 mark. I just want to make sure he's okay, it looks like he lost everything.

I've been in touch with my sister for the past few days. She is able to communicate through starlink that has been set up in the town for people to use. She lives in Waynesville, and says that they have they have enough supplies for now there, but communities like Cruso, Bethel, Clyde, and Canton are all in rough shape. She said Cruso/Bethel areas are having trouble coordinating efforts. The Pigeon community Center in Waynesville is a good hub for donations to those communities.

My sister's shop, Cultivate in Waynesville, had about 4 feet of water and the store is a complete loss. She also had a wood working studio with tools and product in the Ashville arts district which is another 100% loss. Luckily her house, family, and friends are all in good shape. She wanted me to let people know who are helping that the community, that they are truly grateful for everything that is being done to help.

1727884326574.png

1727884103261.jpeg

1727884362473.png

1727884142733.png

1727884255453.png

Just got off the phone with my friend in West Jeff. She said they still have a shortage of water and are now really needing things to keep the chainsaws running. Files, blades, bar oil, mixed fuel (or 2-stroke oil), gas, etc.

The power has been partially restored (mostly on the east side) but there are still some areas where it might be a couple more weeks (e.g. Lansing).

Winter is going to be very challenging this year for a lot of people.

I am heading west Saturday with 2 trailers full of items

Ken C

Different approach, but while we were just outside of old fort Sunday. We stopped to help a family. It was a 93 year old man in one house. The other his son, his wife and couple kids lived. They didn’t get horribly damaged but we’re just some great and appreciative people for the gas and water. They were worried about taking care of the grand father. Amongst conversation she mentioned she had to go to Winston for chemo Wednesday, and asked how the roads were. I made damn sure I went back by there in my way back Tuesday to check in them and top her car off with gas that I had leftover. No power and with all going on and she still has to make the trip for chemo. I got their address and thought it would be cool if maybe people could send some gas cards and such to help them out. They will be out of work for a while up that way since they work in swannanoa.
IMG_7779.png

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my friend in West Jeff. She said they still have a shortage of water and are now really needing things to keep the chainsaws running. Files, blades, bar oil, mixed fuel (or 2-stroke oil), gas, etc.

The power has been partially restored (mostly on the east side) but there are still some areas where it might be a couple more weeks (e.g. Lansing).

I am also hearing that Ashe Co is asking for ATV's and capable 4wd's to get to some of the more damaged and remote places toward Lansing.

Last edited:

I’ll be coming through WJ on my way to Creston in the morning and can drop off 2 stroke oil and gas and water. Thanks to @ncsutj and @RQ for their help.

IMG_0018.jpeg

I hate to bother asking, but did the Chemi-con plant on the road to Lansing get washed away? Or was it even open still? My first job post college was there in 2004 and I met a lot of fine individuals and families from my time there.

I am also hearing that Ashe Co is asking for ATV's and capable 4wd's to get to some of the more damaged and remote places toward Lansing.
Correct. We have been sending crews up on rotations since Sunday.

Back