Hurricane Helene

Road to my parents place down 9. My sister and own it and my buddy rents there. His rent is so cheap I end up paying a little to cover insurance and taxes.

Beautiful 6 acre property. The house is perfectly preserved. Only some leaves that need removed from deck.

This is part of the 1 mile road to get there off the pavement.

Resized_20241003_113134(1).jpeg

The creek changed directions and cut it to bedrock. Part of the road is visible to the left and above my buddy

The photos don’t do it justice. Difficult to capture the full scope of a landslide for instance.

This landslide came from across the creek and landed in our property. It’s about 100 yards long. ☹️
Resized_20240927_164450.jpeg

View attachment 425604

Is this legit or more FB false narrative BS?
I’m just coming back around to the world a week later, but I’d heard Biden snubbed us. Thoughts and prayers with continue to contribute to local charity’s BS. Zero saber rattling the calvery is on the way. Biden didn’t bother stopping and just flew over eating ice cream and watching a movie with his favorite blanket.

This landed on the upper Ridgecrest bridge yesterday and was nipping tree limbs with rotors when a gust pushed over the mountain.

Unloaded a crap ton of insulin on dry ice to an ambulance and left.

IMG_1496.jpeg

Heading up Saturday morning to meet with @frankenyoter to dig up into the woods to carry supplies to people who are cut off. If anyone else wants to send anything just let me know. Got tons of meds and stuff already loaded up along with shelf stable foods and protein shakes and such. Gonna go in a big shopping spree tomorrow after I get another updated needs list.

I gotta admit...Ive never been a first responder, EMT, fireman, or armed service member. I cant compare to what those folks have seen.
What I saw his weekend...well it wont ever leave my mind.

It just re-enforces the power of mother nature.

Thankfully I've never been deployed to things like this, but knowing what bad shit I HAVE seen, and to hear what they are seeing now, I KNOW people will need mental help long after the physical wounds heal. My wife had an incident at work and CISD/peer support really helped her, and now we advocate for it as much as we can. I may not always know what to say, but I can listen to people talk all day or get them in touch with someone who does know what to say.

If you or ANYONE needs to talk, hit me up.

Duane

News told today that the road from Hot spring thru paint creek in TN will be closed for a undetermined amount of time due a tile being washed out and major road damage.Also they are warning people about what is in the water and they are warning against contact.I know the house we were at yesterday had sewage in the basement of it. Jake was out today delivering supplies/food from a collection center to a distribution point and about got cut off by a bridge closure.He wasnt familiar w that part of the county and was using his phone for navigation but it kept sending him down closed roads.By the time he got it figured out and headed the right way they had closed a bridge he needed to go over.I guess it was a good thing it took him so long to get there or he would have been stranded.The auction company Jake auctions for has been collecting stuff and they sent a truck load of stuff and volunteers to Burnsville today.We were told one of the things they were requesting were body bags.She(the auctioneers wife) had a big stack of em when we talked to her yesterday.We got water back about 2;30 today.

Thankfully I've never been deployed to things like this, but knowing what bad shit I HAVE seen, and to hear what they are seeing now, I KNOW people will need mental help long after the physical wounds heal. My wife had an incident at work and CISD/peer support really helped her, and now we advocate for it as much as we can. I may not always know what to say, but I can listen to people talk all day or get them in touch with someone who does know what to say.

If you or ANYONE needs to talk, hit me up.

Duane
Gonna be alot of survivor's guilt (among other things) when this is over.

Made it to Creston today and delivered the goods. They were completely out of diesel when we arrived so they filled up their machines and got right back to work. Everyone was friendly and staying positive. Said it took 3 days of cutting and clearing to get to the fire station then another day of shoveling out 3’ of mud by hand.

Getting up with @Noel in the morning then making a run to @frankenyoter. Bringing 250 body bags from my wife’s work as well. Not looking forward to this.

IMG_1279.jpeg

Back