Hurricane Helene

I have a house in Elk Mills / Poga TN on Watauga Lake which is 5.9 miles from NC / TN line. Went up Wednesday and got back last night. Exhausted. I spent all of my time helping my neighbor set up the TN side base camp at his house because my house amazingly was untouched. The road is down to just enough for a 4 wheeler or sxs just before my house on 321 between me and the old fire station / community store. It added 40 minutes to go all the way around the lake but it's still drivable to get to my house from NC. But it only made sense for me to park at Ground 0 and take my kabota up with me. I will be the last to get electricity. As of yesterday, Poga/Elk Mills has everything under control now. I have no reason to go back until I get electricity.

In an unfortunate situation, I'm a known face now in the neighborhood and got to meet my next door neighbor a mile down the road and all the rest of the FD outstanding crew. My neighbor is one of the FD guys and has a 100 acre camp at his house. Camp Faith. His job during the storm was to get everything at the fire station at least 2' off the ground. Water was already to his knees when it started coming in hard and he realized this one was very different. It was all he could do to get his truck and most of the equipment across the bridge and up the hill before the water rose. It took 10 minutes from when the water was to his knees to rise another 6'. Poga FD got swept away along with their fire tanker truck. My neighbor has footage of it while he was standing on the bridge. He said the bridge was shaking. By Wednesday evening a nice tanker truck was donated from West Virginia and on-site Thursday afternoon. Being 1/4 mile away from the old station, it would take 40+ minutes to respond to my house now only counting the drive. The 321 washout divided the Elk Mills / Poga FD district exactly in half. They have been so overwhelmed with donations that they now have decided to put another station at my neighbor's camp in case this ever happens again. So I will be in the middle of twin FD's.

I can write a book. I have many many pics including the now famous Bob's Island bridge going into Poga. I may not be exact but the story is something like this...

Bob is a truck driver. Bob realized his bridge was totally gone from the storm and he along with all of his neighbors were isolated from the world. So Bob had an idea and executed it in 2 days. There was a retired semi flat bed that had been parked at a shop on the main side for many years waiting on a down time day scrap run. It didn't even have a bottom. And Bob had a nice aluminum semi flat bed that he hauled on. He got with the owner of the old flat bed on the main side, they got the tires fixed on the old bed, forged the creek with rock at the best spot they could figure out and then met in the middle placing the trailers connected. Put a wood deck on the old one and wedged them together best they could and walla... Now 90% of Poga is called "Bob's Island". Sturdy enough for anything from a skid steer to a mini ex and most importantly much needed supplies. And yes the valve stems are all on top and accessible. They left no part of the idea incomplete...

image000000.jpg
image000001.jpg
image000002.jpg
image000003.jpg
image000004.jpg

Power back on at home last night around 730. Power and phone restored at work early this morning.
We're already getting order and making deliveries for storm related needs. Both commercial as well as municipal. There's going to be a lot of rebuilding here in Asheville and the high country.

Power back on at home last night around 730. Power and phone restored at work early this morning.
We're already getting order and making deliveries for storm related needs. Both commercial as well as municipal. There's going to be a lot of rebuilding here in Asheville and the high country.

theres alot of money to be made in rebuilds

Looking to head up to Bakersville NC Tues/Wed.Anybody have a contact up there? I know phones/internet is down but would like to have a general ideal of where Im goin and who to speak with.

I have 2 IBC totes in Hickory if anyone wants them making runs up there. They are the left over of a solar powered rainwater collection system. Hell I'm not using it, someone can have the whole system (solar panel, battery, pump system, an exterior hinged plastic enclosure and pipeing all built by the PO of my house, it worked when I moved in and piped water to all 3 toilets and 2 outside hoses, I retired it in place when one of the exterior pipes froze and burst (PO was from Florida, didn't know water freezes apparently). Sounds similar to what you were talking about @ckruzer

PM and I can get some pics.

Last edited:
Just saw this on my news feed.Like anybody is gonna be shocked by this.

ive already seen locals trying to unite local trans to pool hormone resources to share each others drugs or receive donated drugs to maintain their altered state

I have 2 IBC totes in Hickory if anyone wants them making runs up there. They are the left over of a solar powered rainwater collection system. Hell I'm not using it, someone can have the whole system (solar panel, battery, pump system, an exterior hinged plastic enclosure and pipeing all built by the PO of my house, it worked when I moved in and piped water to all 3 toilets and 2 outside hoses, I retired it in place when one of the exterior pipes froze and burst (PO was from Florida, didn't know water freezes apparently). Sounds similar to what you were talking about @ckruzer

If you cant find a buyer or someone to claim use, let me know. Ill set it down down somewhere and keep dropping water off to it

Thanks Geoff! See you tomorrow.

FWIW, they are collecting stuff at the Lee County airport. One of the organizers posted this a few minutes ago (Monday evening)

"Looking for volunteer delivery drivers to get supplies to western, NC.
Anyone with a trailer (not transfer truck) willing to take a load to Burnsville, NC? They said their roads cannot handle really big trucks. I have a specific address. We can fill you up and get you on your way in the morning. It is about 4.5 hours to get there from Sanford per GPS."

FWIW, they are collecting stuff at the Lee County airport. One of the organizers posted this a few minutes ago (Monday evening)

"Looking for volunteer delivery drivers to get supplies to western, NC.
Anyone with a trailer (not transfer truck) willing to take a load to Burnsville, NC? They said their roads cannot handle really big trucks. I have a specific address. We can fill you up and get you on your way in the morning. It is about 4.5 hours to get there from Sanford per GPS."

Definitely not knocking the efforts, but is what they are sending needed? Most places have tons of supplies and food. At this point. Hopefully the 2 points are communicating

Definitely not knocking the efforts, but is what they are sending needed? Most places have tons of supplies and food. At this point. Hopefully the 2 points are communicating

Yep, same person addressed that in another post....

(quoted)
I’ve been working with the airport in Sanford to distribute supplies.
We are overwhelmed with the following donations and ask that we refocus to items that are being requested on the ground. This is true regardless of who you are donating too. Facilities are packed to the gills with certain items and in desperate need of other things.
If you are unsure of what to get or a needed item is outside of what you are able to purchase, please find a reputable source and consider cash donations.
When we hear of a need that we do not have, we are able to run out and purchase what is being asked for and get it on a plane.

We have MORE THAN ENOUGH:
Toothpaste, brushes
deodorant
Adult and baby diapers
Wipes - adult and baby
Hand sanitizer
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Pet food
Paper products- plates, napkins, utensils
Clorox wipes
Body wash
Feminine pads

What we REALLY NEED:
Baby bottles - new please
Tampons - not pads
Hazmat suits
Respirators
Mask - high quality
Tarps
Gas cans
Fuel for grills- mini propane bottles for camping
Grills
Cots, Air mattresses
Gas cans
Chain saws
Chain, sharpening blades, oil
Brooms
Mops
Shovels
Anything to help clear brush, etc
Pet collars, leashes, crates (no beds, please)
Jackets - good condition please
Liquid bleach
Bottle cleaning liquid- (not spray - think bottles of Mr. Clean, Pinesol, Fabuloso)
Work gloves
Bug spray
Sting out / anti itch products
Mediciation- mostly Benadryl, stomach, tums, etc. we are getting a lot of Tylenol)
Weed type sprayers with the pump handles
Flash lights
Batteries
Charcoal
Insulin - we can keep cold and get in the hands of those needing it same day. Please give us a heads up if you will be sending some so we can plan ahead
Needles, lancets, blood sugar monitors
Buckets
Pop up showers
Work boots
Hot hands/ feet instant warming packets

Think about items you would need if you were off the grid camping with no electricty.
Thank you to everyone who has helped in both time, donations of supplies, hauling, etc. It is both heartbreaking that there is such a need yet heartwarming to watch planes line up, fill up and take off. We have also sent out several truck loads of pallets and will likely be looking for more people willing to haul pallets.
I will also add, please don’t just take off with supplies without a plan. Try to organize your donations. Receiving 1,000s of grocery bags with random items is making it harder to organize and get stuff out, especially when you are driving it straight to the mountains.
Worst case bring us your load and we will refill you with sorted items and an address that is specifically asking for help.
Many places are at capacity for what can be stored.
Have a plan and Travel safe.

Local store to my folks (Michigan) is doing a deal on chainsaws. Every one purchased one is going towards one in a trailer. A 53’ trailer leaving in the morning and at rate of sale another leaving the end of the week to WNC.

Something I was thinking about would be this:

Loads of wood available and I’m sure 55 gallon drums could be sourced relatively easy. Cheap way to make heat and boil water? Thoughts?

Local store to my folks (Michigan) is doing a deal on chainsaws. Every one purchased one is going towards one in a trailer. A 53’ trailer leaving in the morning and at rate of sale another leaving the end of the week to WNC.

Something I was thinking about would be this:

Loads of wood available and I’m sure 55 gallon drums could be sourced relatively easy. Cheap way to make heat and boil water? Thoughts?
Been around a few. They get dang hot! Last longer then you'd think as long as you don't burn them out over fueling or let wet ashes sit in them

Been around a few. They get dang hot! Last longer then you'd think as long as you don't burn them out over fueling or let wet ashes sit in them
But for the cost vs the output do you think the reward is there. Yes they are a heavy item to move but the simplicity to bring some heat seems like a no brained to me. Tell me I’m wrong and I’ll accept it. Grew up with them in every barn or shop I used to hang out in in northern Michigan. Only real issue is stove pipe. Let me know and I’ll put it across as many airwaves as I can….

Back