Hurricane Helene

But for the cost vs the output do you think the reward is there. Yes they are a heavy item to move but the simplicity to bring some heat seems like a no brained to me. Tell me I’m wrong and I’ll accept it. Grew up with them in every barn or shop I used to hang out in in northern Michigan. Only real issue is stove pipe. Let me know and I’ll put it across as many airwaves as I can….
Simple cheap and still weight less then any branded legal wood stove I've been around.

They make it as a kit because it's meets zero standards for modern wood heat emissions. Govco set standards on wood fuel "furnaces" a while back.

The two biggest downsides are these:
Open draft with zero lining unless added.
Burns hot and relatively fast pending air delivery. Zero heat sink, fires out and she's dead cold in no time.

Biggest drawback is heat conductivity to immediate space. Sounds good , it is what you want. Compared to many modern offerings these stoves are an open match vs a warm blanket. Many a shop has burnt slap up from a hot barrel stove. The surface is dang near open campfire when making heat for a decent space. No blowers or heat passages built in
Just raw flame and tin. I like them, but the average village idiot may burn the rest of the neighborhood. Folks who have enough sense to construct their own doesn't scare me half as bad as a Florida transplant you donated one too. A decade ago I would say most knew how to use such an appliance .....now days some will be warming tide pod soup, and burning down what's left. It's Appalachia, a real odd mix of self sufficient and ready or those who crept in.

Kc135s can't slow down enough to fuel a helicopter.

The Marine Corp uses the C130-J to refuel their CH-53E whirlycopters. They really like fuel.

The Marine Corp uses the C130-J to refuel their CH-53E whirlycopters. They really like fuel.
Last time I rode in a 53, I was covered in hydraulic fluid. It was on my helmet, all over the floor, and I couldn’t see out of my eye pro when I hit the ground. It was like ice skating trying to walk on the floor. That old saying about those things is true. If it ain’t leaking, it’s empty and you’re in trouble.

Last time I rode in a 53, I was covered in hydraulic fluid. It was on my helmet, all over the floor, and I couldn’t see out of my eye pro when I hit the ground. It was like ice skating trying to walk on the floor. That old saying about those things is true. If it ain’t leaking, it’s empty and you’re in trouble.
First jump I did in Hawaii was the same situation. Damn that was a long time ago.

Local store to my folks (Michigan) is doing a deal on chainsaws. Every one purchased one is going towards one in a trailer. A 53’ trailer leaving in the morning and at rate of sale another leaving the end of the week to WNC.

Something I was thinking about would be this:

Loads of wood available and I’m sure 55 gallon drums could be sourced relatively easy. Cheap way to make heat and boil water? Thoughts?

Do it like the amish. Coil copper pipe in a fire or barrel fire. Have one end plumbed to the bottom of your water tank and other to the top. It will cycle the water all on its own. If you have gravity as a friend, then you can gravity feed the hot water. In other situations they dont do a "hot water tank" style, and instead route their cold through such coils to a shower head etc

You can find similar setups with "wood burning hot tubs" on google for a more modern approach

That old saying about those things is true. If it ain’t leaking, it’s empty and you’re in trouble.

Pretty much, exactly, and yep. I work on them and it's no different. Once they're done with overhaul and have a fresh coat of paint, it's right back out to the flight line for turn up, FCF, and a fresh coating of hyd fluid all over the new paint.

Florida is about to ask for all of its portable shower and toilets back with the new storm!
Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley

Florida is about to ask for all of its portable shower and toilets back with the new storm!
That will at least give Roy something to SAY he's doing (even though he did absolutely nothing for the first 7 days)

Was helping unload some stuff at the Glenwood shelter yesterday and ran into an interesting problem. Semi truck showed up with a trailer full of stuff. Seemed like nobody knew it was coming and it was loaded to the gills. Driver was from Houston and said he stopped in Asheville on the way and they took a few things (couldn't tell that anything had been taken). Me and another guy ended up stacking about 15 pallets worth of boxes of tshirts and bags of other textiles and finally ended up with 11 pallets of water filling the rest of the truck. Got to the waters and the driver said either pay $750 for the plastic pallets they're on or unload the water onto other pallets. Who donates pallets of water but doesn't think to pay for the pallets they come on? Ended up having enough folks that they were repalletized pretty quickly, but it was still a weird situation.

Was helping unload some stuff at the Glenwood shelter yesterday and ran into an interesting problem. Semi truck showed up with a trailer full of stuff. Seemed like nobody knew it was coming and it was loaded to the gills. Driver was from Houston and said he stopped in Asheville on the way and they took a few things (couldn't tell that anything had been taken). Me and another guy ended up stacking about 15 pallets worth of boxes of tshirts and bags of other textiles and finally ended up with 11 pallets of water filling the rest of the truck. Got to the waters and the driver said either pay $750 for the plastic pallets they're on or unload the water onto other pallets. Who donates pallets of water but doesn't think to pay for the pallets they come on? Ended up having enough folks that they were repalletized pretty quickly, but it was still a weird situation.
Didn't even think of that, I work in retail distribution and those vendors can be dicks about not getting their pallets back, especially the black plastic ones!

Didn't even think of that, I work in retail distribution and those vendors can be dicks about not getting their pallets back, especially the black plastic ones!
IGps and chep pallets are a scam. We aren't a part of their program, but he receive a lot of goods in on their pallets. We had a chep "scout" stop by a few years ago and told us that he was sending a truck to take back all the chep pallets we had stacked up in the yard. Oddly enough when the truck got here a week or so later there were only about 20 busted ones for him to get. Weird.

IGps and chep pallets are a scam. We aren't a part of their program, but he receive a lot of goods in on their pallets. We had a chep "scout" stop by a few years ago and told us that he was sending a truck to take back all the chep pallets we had stacked up in the yard. Oddly enough when the truck got here a week or so later there were only about 20 busted ones for him to get. Weird.
Hahaha, I guess we had a similar audit last year as well and they walked around and manually counted all them in a 1.7mil sqft facility. I don't know whatever came of that.

I was always curious how they manage them and actually make money.

Company I work for has made a significant donation to both ARC and Samaritans Purse and we have a ton of employees wanting to do more.
People want to give "stuff" so we are setting up an Amazon web store with essentially a gift registry and are going to gather the product in our Raleigh distribution center and deliver it. We have trucks and (enclosed) trailers.

Would like to find pockets of need. And specifics needed in them.

Anyone who wants to message me a contact for what and where please do so.

So what is happening with all the debris? There's years and years worth of construction debris and trash and land waste created in a matter of days that has to go somewhere. All the pics of the lakes and rivers littered and clogged with building remnants has really got me wondering about this. Municipal landfills are obviously not the answer.

So what is happening with all the debris? There's years and years worth of construction debris and trash and land waste created in a matter of days that has to go somewhere. All the pics of the lakes and rivers littered and clogged with building remnants has really got me wondering about this. Municipal landfills are obviously not the answer.
Short of a match,a lay person such as myself would think this would be the easiest way to get rid of wood debri.
1200XL.jpg

burn it

Company I work for has made a significant donation to both ARC and Samaritans Purse and we have a ton of employees wanting to do more.
People want to give "stuff" so we are setting up an Amazon web store with essentially a gift registry and are going to gather the product in our Raleigh distribution center and deliver it. We have trucks and (enclosed) trailers.

Would like to find pockets of need. And specifics needed in them.

Anyone who wants to message me a contact for what and where please do so.
PM sent, not sure if it's helpful

Back