Hurricane Helene

So what is happening with all the debris? There's years and years worth of construction debris and trash and land waste created in a matter of days that has to go somewhere. All the pics of the lakes and rivers littered and clogged with building remnants has really got me wondering about this. Municipal landfills are obviously not the answer.

Saw a video a couple of days ago, they had several brush piles burning. Piled up with a big excavator.

Towns, county whatever might bring in trench burners. They used one when they cleared near our old house. Didn't put out near the visible smoke that brush piles do.

You can only stockpile so much mulch.

I have a Jerry Can camping shower with a foot pump (not electric...though it wouldn't be hard to modify it to run on OBA). I won it in an auction years ago and have NEVER used it. It seems like this could be helpful to folks in Western NC. How can I get it to people that need it (I'm in Durham)?

Gonna be hard to help them with no address and no church name. Can’t find anything on google maps other than big creek and there’s no churches near by.
Ya, I tried looking it. Was just hoping one of you might be familiar with it. I see the general area and I searched Cane creek in that area and found a bridge. I assume that’s it.

Gonna be hard to help them with no address and no church name. Can’t find anything on google maps other than big creek and there’s no churches near by.

Found this on their FB photos

Edit... That's a Christmas drive thru. May not be at church, but at least have church name

IMG_5385.jpeg

My church is looking for a place to take blankets, propane tanks and other stuff like that. The church that we are taking supplies to Monday doesn’t want blankets, clothes, and propane tanks so we’re looking for another church that we can take that kind of stuff to on the next run.

My church is looking for a place to take blankets, propane tanks and other stuff like that. The church that we are taking supplies to Monday doesn’t want blankets, clothes, and propane tanks so we’re looking for another church that we can take that kind of stuff to on the next run.
I'm going to send you a pm with a number. Its not a church but it is a church ran organization that did low income outreach maybe she can take some of it

Im not sure how I feel about this and I for sure dont have an alternative but it kinda seems like a kick in the balls to me.

Im not sure how I feel about this and I for sure dont have an alternative but it kinda seems like a kick in the balls to me.
Might as well put it to use sicne we're already paying for it.

The kick in the balls is that we paid for the lease on it unnecessarily in the first place.

It sucks for people to have to be relocated to GBoro out of the mountains but its better than nothing

Tonya got ahold of some chic at Deyton Elem school in Spruce Pine on Monday so were headed there in the AM with a load of stuff.She's busted ass this week trying to pull this together.She got hooked up w one of the local churches and a Vol fire dept and we've filled a 16 foot enclosed,my truck and could have gotten more.BIL stopped by his local VFD to get some stuff and dude there says they have three t/t loads of camping stuff coming this week that needs to go somewhere.Gonna see how it goes tomorrow.If it works out Ill try to make another trip next week.

I cant see the greenies in Asheville goin for that.

Fire is all-natural, organic, free of pesticides, hypoallergenic, and (usually) vegan! Hell, it's even gluten free! They *should* LOVE it :D

Made the trip to Spruce Pine today and for those interested we took 107 from Unicoi to 226 all the way in,DOT sign saying no trucks at the start of the route in Unicoi which Im sure meant semi's.A few low hanging power lines and just one lane in spots and with the exceptions of some downed trees that could have been trimmed a little closer to the bank it was smooth sailing in a pick up w trailer.We went to the Deyton primary school and unloaded,spent some time helping them put stuff up and headed out about 4:30.The school sends stuff to most of the area and is basically a staging spot for supplies.TONS and TONS of stuff there.There were army recruits there from Bragg that were helping to fill orders and unload what came in.They are assembling a large tent/shelter for those that were displaced.Gonna try and make another trip early/mid week next week.If anybody has stuff they want to take they are needing the following items.
Denture cleaner/Poly grip
They will always take food.(no bread)
camping stuff,tents,sleeping bags,camp fuel,
bar oil,2 stroke oil
small propane cylinders
CO2 detectors(battery operated)
batteries
burners to go on the small propane cylinders.
Condiments.(mustard,mayo,ketchup)
laundry detergent(powder or liquid)
toys for kids,puzzles,games ect.
dish soap
cleaners.
vinegar (mold is becoming a problem)
charcoal grills
charcoal
shaving stuff
Ensure
Pillows

What they dont need at this time.
Clothes
Baby stuff (of any kind)
Water
tooth paste/brushes
There's more but this is all I can remember right now.

A few pictures from today in no particular order

IMG_9637.jpeg
IMG_9640.jpeg
IMG_8176.jpeg
IMG_8177.jpeg

IMG_8167.jpeg

IMG_8170.jpeg

IMG_8171.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

IMG_8183.jpeg

IMG_8181.jpeg

IMG_8187.jpeg

Last edited:
Made the trip to Spruce Pine today and for those interested we took 107 from Unicoi to 226 all the way in,DOT sign saying no trucks at the start of the route in Unicoi which Im sure meant semi's.A few low hanging power lines and just one lane in spots and with the exceptions of some downed trees that could have been trimmed a little closer to the bank it was smooth sailing in a pick up w trailer.We went to the Deyton primary school and unloaded,spent some time helping them put stuff up and headed out about 4:30.The school sends stuff to most of the area and is basically a staging spot for supplies.TONS and TONS of stuff there.There were army recruits there from Bragg that were helping to fill orders and unload what came in.They are assembling a large tent/shelter for those that were displaced.Gonna try and make another trip early/mid week next week and if anybody has stuff they want to take they are needing the following items.
Denture cleaner/Poly grip
They will always take food.(no bread)
camping stuff,tents,sleeping bags,camp fuel,
bar oil,2 stroke oil
small propane cylinders
CO2 detectors(battery operated)
batteries
burners to go on the small propane cylinders.
Condiments.(mustard,mayo,ketchup)
laundry detergent(powder or liquid)
toys for kids,puzzles,games ect.
dish soap
cleaners.
vinegar (mold is becoming a problem)
charcoal grills
charcoal
shaving stuff
Ensure
Pillows

What they dont need at this time.
Clothes
Baby stuff (of any kind)
Water
tooth paste/brushes

A few pictures from today in no particular order

View attachment 425991View attachment 425992View attachment 425993View attachment 425994

View attachment 425995
View attachment 425996

View attachment 425997

View attachment 425998
View attachment 425999

View attachment 426000
View attachment 426001
Thanks for what you're doing!

Thanks for what you're doing!
I just drive where and do what Im told:D.This is Tonya's baby.But thanks.

Question for the military guys or anyone who knows.

I saw 3 national guard vehicles that I have know clue as to what they are. IFS, six lug axles. The body is just a hood and short windscreen with the rest being tubing and holds maybe six troops with the rear seats facing to the left and right respectively.

Question for the military guys or anyone who knows.

I saw 3 national guard vehicles that I have know clue as to what they are. IFS, six lug axles. The body is just a hood and short windscreen with the rest being tubing and holds maybe six troops with the rear seats facing to the left and right respectively.
Was it this?

Capture.JPG

Back