Hurricane Helene

One thing that would help that I’m not hearing much about is mobile showers, and laundry facilities in the areas without running water. Another is non potable water for toilet flushing. I have used a swim spa loaded on my trailer filled with about 1000 gallons of water to drop water in downtown Asheville for toilet flushing.

My family and myself are very fortunate to have made it through the storm and are safe with minimal damage to properties. I have dealt with major storms directly after the storms have departed and all I can say about the situation in WNC and East Tennessee is that it is the worse thing I’ve ever witnessed. This is going to be a very difficult road ahead for most people impacted by the storm mentally , emotionally, and financially. Businesses will never rebuild or open back up leading to many losing everything they own and their jobs as well. The effects of this storm will outlast the help that is coming in by a long shot.

Thank everyone that has been on the front lines helping and everyone that has contributed to the relief efforts! This is my home and my people that are forever changed by this disaster. I am broken and don’t know how this will ever return to the place I love.

Does anyone know how bad Hickory Nc. I have been contacted to maybe bring our Search & Rescue Crew and Equipment to help out there with Mountain Search & Rescue for several days? They are checking to see what equipment and the role they want us to fill and get back in touch with me.

Does anyone know how bad Hickory Nc. I have been contacted to maybe bring our Search & Rescue Crew and Equipment to help out there with Mountain Search & Rescue for several days? They are checking to see what equipment and the role they want us to fill and get back in touch with me.
Damage seems minimal past the hickory river bridge.

This is from a close trusted friend:

I've been talking g with A friend of mine with NC wildlife who is working around the Boone area. Asking him what needs to be sent and where. He sent me this. You know of any off road groups looking a spot to help?

There is a remote community in Avery County called Elk Park. If you have anyone in your circle who would like to focus efforts, that would be an exceptional place to send recovery items. It isn't accessible yet by road, only ATV, UTV, boat or helicopter. All the roads and bridges were washed away. From there to the Tennessee line is in really dire need of anything

Fwd:

Trying to send you a specific road marked up on OnX but don't have enough service. I'll send later when I get service. They are pretty good on bare necessities, water can goods, etc. but they really need clothes, out door cooking equipment, grilling equipment, grills, griddles, propane, flashlights, headlamps. Things of that nature but I'm certain they would accept anything

Area in red

IMG_7478.jpeg

I asked for specific contact info and this was response:

I will talk to Brandon tomorrow and see what the best options are

There isn't a specific contact for Elk Park. The main poc is the county EOC. There is two ways I believe items could be disseminated. Someone could coordinate directly with the county EOC (emergency operations center) and drop off the items there if they have room. Or if people had UTVs they could drive straight there and drop items off door to door. Would take longer but you would KNOW the items were delivered directly to those with the greatest need as opposed to possibly being sent elsewhere in the area.

I've been talking g with A friend of mine with NC wildlife who is working around the Boone area. Asking him what needs to be sent and where. He sent me this. You know of any off road groups looking a spot to help?

There is a remote community in Avery County called Elk Park. If you have anyone in your circle who would like to focus efforts, that would be an exceptional place to send recovery items. It isn't accessible yet by road, only ATV, UTV, boat or helicopter. All the roads and bridges were washed away. From there to the Tennessee line is in really dire need of anything

Fwd:

Trying to send you a specific road marked up on OnX but don't have enough service. I'll send later when I get service. They are pretty good on bare necessities, water can goods, etc. but they really need clothes, out door cooking equipment, grilling equipment, grills, griddles, propane, flashlights, headlamps. Things of that nature but I'm certain they would accept anything

Area in red

View attachment 425758

There isn't a specific contact for Elk Park. The main poc is the county EOC. There is two ways I believe items could be disseminated. Someone could coordinate directly with the county EOC (emergency operations center) and drop off the items there if they have room. Or if people had UTVs they could drive straight there and drop items off door to door. Would take longer but you would KNOW the items were delivered directly to those with the greatest need as opposed to possibly being sent elsewhere in the area.
I keep seeing things like this but not a single one ever shares a POC.

I've called several fire stations and left messages but not heard back

I keep seeing things like this but not a single one ever shares a POC.

I've called several fire stations and left messages but not heard back
I’m expecting a response for contact info tomorrow once the phone conversation happens but 🤷‍♂️. Just trying to share.

I’ll be happy to delete my post if you think that’s best.

I’m expecting a response for contact info tomorrow once the phone conversation happens but 🤷‍♂️. Just trying to share.

I’ll be happy to delete my post if you think that’s best.
Nah, that's not what I was trying to do. If you get contact info there's several on here that would be willing to help. It's just I keep getting tagged on FB on these type posts and no one can ever seem to make any real contact with anyone to make actual plans 🤷🏿‍♂️

Fwd:

Area in red

View attachment 425758

We go to Elk Park to stay at a campground there (Mountain View Motorcycle Campground) and ride dual sport and off road in the area. I have seen the people we know post about the conditions there a few times, but it doesn't seem they are that bad off. I'll see if they know anything about it.

Pretty minimal (now) comparatively. It's probably the last intact "big" city before getting to the mountains, so I could see it being used as a staging area/jump off point. They have been flying stuff in and out of here to the mountains, so maybe you will be riding a chopper into and out of there every day?

I get my tree from Elk Park every year. There are some small cluster communities but what I remember is a lot of rich uppity folks with "camps" for fly fishing. Also, don't they have their own airfield?

If this is still a need come next week I will reach out. I already have to be out of town headed the wrong way this week.

The No GPS thing is strange to read, I am certain they mean no cell service. I just download the local maps on to the phone prior to going into an area. I did this when I went to Italy years ago; pulled down all the cities we were traveling to and turned on the GPS when we arrived. I did the entire trip without cell service.

This. I have topo maps for NC, VA, CO, etc, all saved to my phone. Can do the same with Google and Apple maps.
I just bought an atlas for NC and probably will get one for VA and WV because of all this. Trying to navigate around here without GPS and all the road closures kind of sucked right after the storm, lesson learned and $60 is pennies in the grand scheme of things.

I would like to head up this coming weekend to help where I can be useful. I can run a tractor with fel or a skid steer. I can use an excavator but am not good, but can get things done slower than a proficient operator. I have an ATV I can bring if it could be useful. I plan to bring a chainsaw or two and other tools. I'm a good electrician and plumber. I have tools for both. I would like to link up with someone who knows what is going on and with whom I could make a difference. I'm not above salvage and overhaul if thats what the immediate need is. Roughing it a few nights is expected. Anyone else planning to go up that could use a hand?

I would like to head up this coming weekend to help where I can be useful. I can run a tractor with fel or a skid steer. I can use an excavator but am not good, but can get things done slower than a proficient operator. I have an ATV I can bring if it could be useful. I plan to bring a chainsaw or two and other tools. I'm a good electrician and plumber. I have tools for both. I would like to link up with someone who knows what is going on and with whom I could make a difference. I'm not above salvage and overhaul if thats what the immediate need is. Roughing it a few nights is expected. Anyone else planning to go up that could use a hand?
possibly, but playing it by ear. A lot will change within the week. So gonna keep an eye on the situation as it changes and what is needed.

Hickory NC in Catawba County is pretty well good to go. Hurricane Hugo did more damage then this storm. Lake Hickory suffered from high water but really not much different the when Duke gets behind to ball with dam control. Biggest difference has been debris from up river and the more sudden nature of the water level rising.....read careless about shoring up boats and docks this go round. Most effected area would be the end closest to I-40 West and Hildebrand areas.

Back