If you want or need a CDL...

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Get it by February 7, 2022. After that, you can no longer self-study, and have to take a course.

(far cry from when I got my CDL in the early 90's....grandfathered in, so I didn't have to take any tests. The only questions were "do you want CDL-A or CDL-B" and "what endorsements do you want on it")

https://tpr.fmcsa.dot.gov/Resource/Open/eldt-overview
Note: Beginning February 7, 2022, entry-level drivers will be subject to the requirements in the Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations. This includes drivers applying to:
  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

How times have changed.
20211019_204644.jpg

I could drive anything with this license. Just had a minimum test score and pay the fee. Not even a road test.

How is class C impacted? Occasionally get asked to drive a 15 passenger van and have been wanting to get legal...
15 total occupants is under the limit unless it's over 26k gvw

Who in Raleigh has a truck & trailer that gross over 26k? We can line people up for their road tests.

So what does that mean in terms of getting the class C? I’m sure it’s just a matter of reading but nice to get a knowledgeable POV. :)
I'm not sure why you need a CDL, or why you think you might.

I'm not sure why you need a CDL, or why you think you might.
My reading on the DOT site leads me to the conclusion that a class C is required for 15+1 driver vehicles. It was not many years ago but that changed. If it’s changed back or is dependent on gvw then what I’m reading is confusing. Not an unusual condition for me…

My reading on the DOT site leads me to the conclusion that a class C is required for 15+1 driver vehicles. It was not many years ago but that changed. If it’s changed back or is dependent on gvw then what I’m reading is confusing. Not an unusual condition for me…
15 total is okay. 15+1 requires a P endorsement and at least a class c cdl

And….

Supply chain issues will further continue with this planned restriction. :rolleyes:
Yea the driver shortage started with ELD's IMHO. It's getting worse and this will definatly not help. However, most all large trucking companies have driver training programs.

So since were on the topic, and this isn't really off topic...If I were to get my CDL, when I do I have to use log books? My truck is tagged for 26k, not 26001, and I'm not hauling for profit, and not hauling for hire. I like being legal, but absolutely despise paperwork and innefficient BS. I've been throwing around the idea so I could go over 26k if needed and still be legal, but I don't want to have to suddenly keep log books every time I drive my truck.

Last edited:
So since were on the topic, and this isn't really off topic...If I were to get my CDL, when I do I have to use log books? My truck is tagged for 26k, not 26001, and I'm not hauling for profit, and not hauling for hire. I like being legal, but absolutely despise paperwork and innefficient BS.

This is where I get confused and the DMV does too when I have checked. I am tagged for 26000 but GVWR combined on door and tongue tags of my truck and gooseneck is +26k.

We had a thread on this a while back and by the book, the Troopers don’t care about our plate number. It goes by the combined GVWR of the truck and trailer. 14k truck + 14k trailer = 28k and over the limit for a normal Class C card and we are going to kill buses of nuns without getting a Class A.

This is where I get confused and the DMV does too when I have checked. I am tagged for 26000 but GVWR combined on door and tongue tags of my truck and gooseneck is +26k.

We had a thread on this a while back and by the book, the Troopers don’t care about our plate number. It goes by the combined GVWR of the truck and trailer. 14k truck + 14k trailer = 28k and over the limit for a normal Class C card and we are going to kill buses of nuns without getting a Class A.
In that regard I'll play ignorant if I'm grossing under 26k.

So since were on the topic, and this isn't really off topic...If I were to get my CDL, when I do I have to use log books? My truck is tagged for 26k, not 26001, and I'm not hauling for profit, and not hauling for hire. I like being legal, but absolutely despise paperwork and innefficient BS. I've been throwing around the idea so I could go over 26k if needed and still be legal, but I don't want to have to suddenly keep log books every time I drive my truck.
Mind you my commercial motor vehicle training was back in 2008 so things may have changed. We were taught that you are not commercial if you are not hauling persons or property for profit. Therefore no log book, no DOT number required, and other federal requirements.

Makes me happy that I have keep renewing my Class A CDL with a Passenger endorsement even though I haven't driven professionally since I moved to NC.

Mind you my commercial motor vehicle training was back in 2008 so things may have changed. We were taught that you are not commercial if you are not hauling persons or property for profit. Therefore no log book, no DOT number required, and other federal requirements.
So what if I'm hauling stuff to go make money, but not hauling for money?

Back