Killer Weldz Thread

I really think for someone not familiar with what many of the functions are and what they effect a beginner could get it way out of tune and get horrible results. .

haha funny you say that because, when I was around them I was going through school, and probably didn't know shit from apple butter.

Good read.... On the Syncro, do you think that when the pulse quality starts to fade, I'll be able to gradually compensate for it with my foot as it gets hotter. I've never even used a pulse setting before. I guess because I've never worked in production style shop. Looking forward to seeing what it is capable of.

haha funny you say that because, when I was around them I was going through school, and probably didn't know shit from apple butter.

Good read.... On the Syncro, do you think that when the pulse quality starts to fade, I'll be able to gradually compensate for it with my foot as it gets hotter. I've never even used a pulse setting before. I guess because I've never worked in production style shop. Looking forward to seeing what it is capable of.
Basic pulse is really on time vs. off time. Some newer syncro machines allow percentage adjustments of peak power and background current "off current", so a puddle remains somewhat fluid to prevent cold lap or poor consistent fusion.You'll be able to apply more or less amperage with the pulse running regardless, so yes you'll be able too feather the heat. With the dynasty a whole other can of worms can be opened with the fact you can now play with the hertz. This is actually the frequency of the output sine wave. Even DC has a little up and down sine wave, its really a cleaned up "dirty ac wave form". Better the machine better the characteristics. All standard American power is in 60 hertz, with the dynasty you can crank it or retard it. So instead of 60 cycles of a sine wave you can get an ear buzzing 120 if you want. Literally freezing the puddle shape, growth or penetration by further manipulating the percent of cleaning, background, slope, or peak currents. It's so variable I remember reading about a company replacing everything they own because they needed to weld the thin stainless found on appliances. Applications where they still needed an operator rather than a automated unit. They are so tunable I personally have only scratched the surface, but having one in my shop is going to allow me to play at will.;) In that spare time I'm going to find.........

I'm a fan a Dynasty, no way around that. Everything it offers is efficient and mobile. With it being digital and only having buttons to work with, I disagree on the tuning aspect. You can hit a button on a Dynasty to get a tune, but this thing seems to be further tunable because it has tunable settings.

I think I said this focused towards what I use a welder for mostly, which is tube work and finicky sheet metal that's not always perfect. Those don't come with a setting, when you have to hit buttons and turn knobs here and there for hours. Off and on between all sorts of chassis material. I learned a lot from this dude named Dan. He pretty much pushed me to think that a machine shouldn't think for me and I guess I took it to heart.

Basic pulse is really on time vs. off time. Some newer syncro machines allow percentage adjustments of peak power and background current "off current", so a puddle remains somewhat fluid to prevent cold lap or poor consistent fusion.You'll be able to apply more or less amperage with the pulse running regardless, so yes you'll be able too feather the heat. With the dynasty a whole other can of worms can be opened with the fact you can now play with the hertz. This is actually the frequency of the output sine wave. Even DC has a little up and down sine wave, its really a cleaned up "dirty ac wave form". Better the machine better the characteristics. All standard American power is in 60 hertz, with the dynasty you can crank it or retard it. So instead of 60 cycles of a sine wave you can get an ear buzzing 120 if you want. Literally freezing the puddle shape, growth or penetration by further manipulating the percent of cleaning, background, slope, or peak currents. It's so variable I remember reading about a company replacing everything they own because they needed to weld the thin stainless found on appliances. Applications where they still needed an operator rather than a automated unit. They are so tunable I personally have only scratched the surface, but having one in my shop is going to allow me to play at will.;) In that spare time I'm going to find.........

I don't doubt a Miller Dynasty whatsoever. That's what I first learned to weld with, and I'm jealous I don't have one to mess around with, years later. It's definitely going to get interesting here soon. Pretty cool how you can take simulations and put them into words. :beer:

Its not welding related but I think I'd like to write articles or such for mags. or newspapers, but that's something else I have no idea how to get going.....

IMG_20141022_124641.jpg

That only changes the start/background frequency. The AC wave is still 60hz. My 90,000 year old Hobart TIG had the same adjustment. Doesn't seem to have much effect except for starting on oxidized metal or if your tungsten is prone to oxidation.

Has anyone tried the new E3 tungsten yet? So far, I'm pleased, but haven't done a major comparison yet.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Oh, I didn't see the pulse module there. Sorry. Still not a variable frequency output, though. Background current is different from the high frequency I was talking about.

Looks like you got all the neat doohickeys on yours, though. Those should be fun to play with. I don't have any of the add-on modules. I'd like to fiddle with pulse some time.

If I have a background variable, a pulse variable and an on time variable, wouldn't that mean that the Hertz variable on the bottom of the machine finishes it off?

If I have a background variable, a pulse variable and an on time variable, wouldn't that mean that the Hertz variable on the bottom of the machine finishes it off?

No. The high frequency on the bottom is basically out of the loop once the arc is established. I think it remains in the background on ac so the arc doesn't snuff out when you pass through zero. The pulse varies the overall current, changing the amplitude of the wave at a set pattern within a range. You can do the same with your foot, just not as quickly or accurately. The balance just changes the time it spends positive vs negative. These are all just ways to manipulate the 60hz that's coming out of the machine. The frequency that does the work is always based off the incoming line frequency. Inverters are able to do more with frequency because they first rectify it to a high voltage dc. After that, the circuitry can do pretty much whatever it wants with it as far as frequency and shaping is concerned.

No. The high frequency on the bottom is basically out of the loop once the arc is established. I think it remains in the background on ac so the arc doesn't snuff out when you pass through zero. The pulse varies the overall current, changing the amplitude of the wave at a set pattern within a range. You can do the same with your foot, just not as quickly or accurately. The balance just changes the time it spends positive vs negative. These are all just ways to manipulate the 60hz that's coming out of the machine. The frequency that does the work is always based off the incoming line frequency. Inverters are able to do more with frequency because they first rectify it to a high voltage dc. After that, the circuitry can do pretty much whatever it wants with it as far as frequency and shaping is concerned.

what about if I switch the high frequency to continuous mode

what about if I switch the high frequency to continuous mode

It has to be on in ac, otherwise the arc goes out when it goes through zero as it does 120 times a second. Try welding aluminum without it. It doesn't work. I made that mistake before. The newer syncros switch it automatically. But still, it carries very little current and shouldn't be active when it's in the positive or negative portion of the wave. It has nothing to do with the welding frequency. It just keeps you from having to scratch start.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about that. ;-) are you getting the manual with it? It goes over all this with pretty pikshurs and such. Might even do a better job explaining it than I did!

Got it wired up today. Been messing with the pulse on a tube, and this axle housing. Haven't been below 215 amps yet, lol mowing it down. :burnout:

IMG_20141026_133623.jpg

IMG_20141026_134940.jpg

Gotcha. Thanks. I never know what to use for that. I'll have to pick some up as I've been using some 308 for general cast welding.....the very little that I do

Back