Killer Weldz Thread

Hell yeah, that's definitely one way to adjust it..

i see what your saying Chris, and i can say i have had similar problems welding tube my self with miller. as far as the auto set i guess it was useful in a few occasions but i found it to be more a pain than anything cause i could never get it right as i move faster than some and it was always to hot or too cold. at first i thought i was doing something wrong so i talked to my old welding instructor who was a master with the autoset and he couldnt figure it out either. we tried 3 different machines with the autoset and never could get it right. maybe its me :confused:. either way thats a nice addition ya got chris, if i can ever stay home long enough to do any welding maybe i can blow the dust off mine and do something productive with it rather than sit in the corner.

The big millers and millermatics older than 20 years or so don't seem to have the issues i complain about.
I don't necessarily hate the auto set feature. It's great for when I'm welding up a cage or something and someone walks in with a loader bucket to weld a crack on. Just turn the dial and go.

My complaint with the Miller is a very specific problem. When I weld tube I try to do a 360* joint in two 180* passes. If you have a 45 deg. angle on two intersecting tubes you end up with a really tight spot on one side. To make the weld look nice you need to start one of your 180* passes in that tight spot. I call it long arcingng, but you basically have to start the weld with a bit more stick out that usual. The Miller machines won't do it. They just spit and sputter trying to adjust themselves to fix the problem. It makes for a hideous weld start and a cold joint.
One of the guys that works for me also works for a big race team and he informed me that the "run in" was adjustable. I couldn't believe I never knew about it. I thought all my problems were finally solved. I've since spent the last 2 months screwing around with the run in adjustment and I can change how it does it. I just can't make it go away.

Miller tells me that all of their below 300 amp machines "tune" them selves in the first seconds of a weld based on the arc length and other variables. This "tuning" is what ruins my welds. They tell me there is no way to disable the feature. So I disabled it myself. I got rid of the damn thing.
Learned something new. So that's the Damn problem and why my machine never seems to true my tune in. Its great when the ideal position and joint is available. But your right slightly out or variables really screw with its output.

Is that a 211i to the far left?
We got one in school recently, awesome little welder. I'm considering buying one myself.

IMG_20160119_221912830.jpg

No pretty dimes of the stacked status but, I did take time tonight to do an experimental bend test on my open root GTAW 3G. Progress. Sometimes you have to see for yourself.

@hurt4x4 You're slacking. Step it up. :flipoff2:

View attachment 207412
No pretty dimes of the stacked status but, I did take time tonight to do an experimental bend test on my open root GTAW 3G. Progress. Sometimes you have to see for yourself.

@hurt4x4 You're slacking. Step it up. :flipoff2:

Nice! But if you gonna bend it might as well make it count :fuck-you:

Just out of curiosity, how many passes did it take you?

Nice! But if you gonna bend it might as well make it count :fuck-you:

Just out of curiosity, how many passes did it take you?
1/8" gap, no landing. One root pass with heat on 86, 1/8" tungsten, 1/8" filler rod. One hot pass at 105, two filler passes and three caps at 110.

The school I'm going to allows me only a SMAW, GMAW and FCAW cert for the curriculum and time I paid for. I flew through that in no time. I'm prepping for any GTAW test I'd be asked to take to get on with a company, minus the pipe stuff. The shear enjoyment of tig itself is why I haven't just graduated early.

1/8" gap, no landing. One root pass with heat on 86, 1/8" tungsten, 1/8" filler rod. One hot pass at 105, two filler passes and three caps at 110.

The school I'm going to allows me only a SMAW, GMAW and FCAW cert for the curriculum and time I paid for. I flew through that in no time. I'm prepping for any GTAW test I'd be asked to take to get on with a company, minus the pipe stuff. The shear enjoyment of tig itself is why I haven't just graduated early.
open root no backing? Either way good job. I am teaching a new batch of student right now. It is amazing how some people catch on compared to others. After about four classes of 3 hour lab time I can usually pick out the ones who are going to make good welders in the Gtaw process. I have seen plenty who can't make the transition from other forms when they are taking Gtaw last. I wish it were mandatory to take it before all other processes.

open root no backing? Either way good job. I am teaching a new batch of student right now. It is amazing how some people catch on compared to others. After about four classes of 3 hour lab time I can usually pick out the ones who are going to make good welders in the Gtaw process. I have seen plenty who can't make the transition from other forms when they are taking Gtaw last. I wish it were mandatory to take it before all other processes.
Yes sir, no backing. That was vertical position and at the same time I was running the 4g overhead same procedure. The way a pipe welder explained it to me is when tig welding, either walking the cup or dapping, you look for the "click" made when the filler puddle fuses to the base metal. If you can grasp that, youre good. That is what I've passed onto other classmates and it always seems to help it all makes sense. One thing I'll say, after doing tig, going back to stick or mig seems way easier than before. Puts a whole new meaning to watching the puddle. :)

Yes sir, no backing. That was vertical position and at the same time I was running the 4g overhead same procedure. The way a pipe welder explained it to me is when tig welding, either walking the cup or dapping, you look for the "click" made when the filler puddle fuses to the base metal. If you can grasp that, youre good. That is what I've passed onto other classmates and it always seems to help it all makes sense. One thing I'll say, after doing tig, going back to stick or mig seems way easier than before. Puts a whole new meaning to watching the puddle. :)
Yea like the student who told me: I have never saw the metal melt before!. Referring to the puddle. I didnt know what to say.

IMG_20160125_164630.jpg
Nope just the color variation from removing layers of galvanize coating. The fitting is only 1 inch. The last pass was a walking cup pass with filler and pretty low amps. You can see when the pass met for a tie in and the outer edge of the old Mig weld from the original coupling. The shape wouldn't let my big head in the right place to go 360. I did it in thirds. The first shot was of the initial root with filler. Either way she's pressure tested and painted. Will be spraying water out of the right places Tuesday evening.

It's all good @hurt4x4 I'll be back for pipe welding class very soon. Stick on pipe, mig/flux on pipe and tig on pipe. Steel, stainless and aluminum. Stay tuned honky :flipoff2:

0316161436.jpg

Playing with Outer Shield Flux Core between classes. Root pass.
0316161459.jpg

Cap ended up just flush, and dang near plum flat. Cool product and process to run. Verticle goofing next.

I love dual shield wire! I just started messing with it last year and really enjoy it. My only problem with it is all I've run has been .045 at work and it requires such a large machine to run it. I wonder how some .035 E71t-1 would run in a 250 amp welder at home. I'm much more confident with these welds than mig. It seems to me like 7018 rods on a roll!

I love dual shield wire! I just started messing with it last year and really enjoy it. My only problem with it is all I've run has been .045 at work and it requires such a large machine to run it. I wonder how some .035 E71t-1 would run in a 250 amp welder at home. I'm much more confident with these welds than mig. It seems to me like 7018 rods on a roll!

it will run fine on a 250 amp unit. If you run straight co2, you will like the short arc even more..

I'm running 0.045 Radnor e71t in a Miller 210. I keep the volts up and the wire surprisingly low, but once I got it dialed in, I'm getting pretty good results! Like you said, I feel better about the penetration on thick stuff than I did with 0.035 solid. I need to try straight co2, we're using uni, but that's acceptable for the wire. It's fun stuff. I'd love to have a 300A machine, but I don't right now. Watch that spatter. It sticks like a bitch! I rarely use anti-spatter, but always use it with Flux.

Back