Labor Day 2020 Good Evening Ranch

Mac5005

So this was my first time to Good evening ranch and what an amazing and beautiful ranch and park.

Put some names with faces from here.

It was my wheeling group’s 2nd/3rd time there but my first trip. I’ll definitely be going back.

Just wanted to get a thread for pics, discussion, and info going while it’s fresh from those of us there this weekend.

Feel free to add/post/discuss.

What a great weekend.

https://youtu.be/MvF7RK9wBj8

b23887742e67902e54b0a5a216846f02.jpg

bd818e57e87896dd5ad3da04cef15a42.jpg

d2727afee4aa8a63fcb2ea05b792f8d1.jpg

fbc97a7540ee65ba791b84720c432593.jpg

58d4e160d2164981cd319157b8ee6406.jpg

b9f8ec521f68eb740ed448f6d30650f3.jpg

Easy tow to get there, 5hrs from Raleigh, 6 for me.

Beautiful property, everything is close to camp/cabins, easy to navigate. Something for everyone there, from leaf looking and easy-moderate to full difficulty technical sections and plenty of hill killing.

Campground is great and has hookups and plenty of room, bath house, and the cabins are full houses.

The cabins seem expensive to bear wallow/windrock, but once you see what you get, and divide the cost among the bedrooms, pricing is on par with other places.

Definitely my favorite WV spot over bear wallow and ivy branch.

Not as many trails and trails and aren’t as long as ivy, but more stuff to stay busy and a far easier stay and definitely easier getting to and from the trails.

The ranch is essentially on a flat top mountain. All the trails go around the mountain and come back “up”. Several wind around the property with many opportunities to turn and cut up to the top. They are opening more trails all the time.

Wonderful people working there that truly enjoy meeting the visitors and making sure we have everything needed and that everyone is having a good time.

Looks like a nice place.

It really is. It has everything. They have some huge rocks that make the ones at Lions Den look small, and they’re basically everywhere. It’s some of the best wheeling I’ve done and I can’t believe no one talks about the place.

Not only was the wheeling just superb, like Mac said the folks that run the place were awesome.

Really sounds like a cool place ! Thanks for sharing.

Seeing that Campbell one seater sure does make me miss mine...

I bet. But my days of single seating are over. These days I'm more looking into adding an extra seat to my current rig vs removing one.

I gave up on that and just got a school bus rzr and this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_O I thought you said it was longer pulls than the hiway between 77 and Kairos phillip?

I dunno abt kairos, as I haven’t been there.

I mean easier as in less 2 lane windy and no switchbacks other than the final road going in.

The 2 hrs shorter than windrock/Harlan/bearwallow/ivy, and 3 hrs shorter than AOP is a huge plus for me.

In my mind I just know it takes 8/9 hrs to really wheel anywhere. So when it’s only 6 I’m happy

I won’t hesitate at all to pull my tag trailer up there with my tired old truck. But I feel like I HAVE to add the bigger trans cooler before hauling my crawler hauler.

Mac is right about it being all main roads and nothing too curvy except the last 2 miles. But it is hill after hill once you get on 77. I just have to be prepared to be in 2nd gear a lot on the hills and slow it down so I’m not redlining it the whole time if I were pulling my Goose.

This!!!

If it's all Phillip has built it up to be, there is no reason to go BACK to AOP

I actually said this exact thing to my buddy Ed yesterday. I don’t see why in the world I would drive all the way back to AOP or Chocco with a place like this 4 hours away, with another place called Swiss right up the road that’s also awesome, and I still need to go ride Ivy and Bear Wallow. I’m bout done with those 6+ hour trips

I actually said this exact thing to my buddy Ed yesterday. I don’t see why in the world I would drive all the way back to AOP or Chocco with a place like this 4 hours away, with another place called Swiss right up the road that’s also awesome, and I still need to go ride Ivy and Bear Wallow. I’m bout done with those 6+ hour trips

Realistically you could do bearwallow and ivy in two days.

I haven’t been back to bearwallow since they logged a ton and ruined a bunch of trails leaving all the tops and branches across several of the good ones. I really liked their cabin setup and great people that were extremely accommodating.

Ivy’s trails are great, but I’ll never stay with Ben again, so that leaves either driving the road to get to the trails or crossing the river. Ben at ivy branch atv resort could fall of the face of the earth and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ll never give him another $.

That said, with a capable group on a dry day, you can do everything there in a day.

Never been to Swiss, but several in the group have and I’ve never heard anything bad.

Realistically you could do bearwallow and ivy in two days.

I haven’t been back to bearwallow since they logged a ton and ruined a bunch of trails leaving all the tops and branches across several of the good ones. I really liked their cabin setup and great people that were extremely accommodating.

Ivy’s trails are great, but I’ll never stay with Ben again, so that leaves either driving the road to get to the trails or crossing the river. Ben at ivy branch atv resort could fall of the face of the earth and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ll never give him another $.

That said, with a capable group on a dry day, you can do everything there in a day.

Never been to Swiss, but several in the group have and I’ve never heard anything bad.

I would like to take a week long trip and wheel all of the above.

Back