Lawn and Landscape

looks like this weekend I am going to try out my new sunjoe detatcher. Going to aerate and try and lay down some seed middle of September. I am going to try and take over my lawn. This summer the clover won.

I don’t like seeding and fertilizing at the same time regardless of what your using

Think about it this way, you have existing grass, you seed and fertilizer with a All quick release fertilizer, it feeds for two weeks, it takes 10-14 for germination of your seed, so all you have done is feed your existing grass and it’s gone by the time your seed germinates and starts growing

That reason is why you see so many fescue yards that don’t mature until spring

Here are my recommendations

Aerify, seed, first couple weeks of September, after the grass germinates and starts growing several weeks later apply your slow release starter fertilizer, it will release all the phosphorus first and your seedlings will take up what they need immediately and roots will start forming great, the slow release nitrogen will benefit the new grass and the old grass at this time, releasing over a period of about 4-6 weeks

I like to feed the grass again middle of October to help in the maturing of the seedlings, if you need phosphorus apply another round of slow release starter

I then feed again with a high nitrogen semi slow release 25% or so around December 1

Your grass will be mature after this application, no more nitrogen until spring, too much nitrogen in January/ February will cause spring disease

March 1-15, apply pre-emerge with a low amount of Nitrogen, then no more nitrogen until fall

Thanks again for the detailed suggestions. Now to call Site One and then time everything out around hurricanes!

Found my next lawnmower...I already have a husqvarna with the same grill but it doesn't look or sound like this one...

on Instagram: “@kuvaldaru #parboiling”
cb9fef8218634a9a7c5d0408059f7ac4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Looking for someone to aerate, overseed and fertilize the front lawn in the Aberdeen area. Anybody have recommendations? Please and thank you.

So i had a thread on here about taking out my privacy trees. That was done, so i rented a skid steer to smooth everything out within reason.

Seeded the hell out of it and strawed it. Been pretty much every day for the last two weeks. I don't have shit coming up. I have a couple places where i seeded out front, at the same time that have grass coming up. What gives. The only thing i can think of is that i didn't cover the ground enough with straw. I've never had trouble with seed starting.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

So i had a thread on here about taking out my privacy trees. That was done, so i rented a skid steer to smooth everything out within reason.

Seeded the hell out of it and strawed it. Been pretty much every day for the last two weeks. I don't have shit coming up. I have a couple places where i seeded out front, at the same time that have grass coming up. What gives. The only thing i can think of is that i didn't cover the ground enough with straw. I've never had trouble with seed starting.

Taint no rain. At least not around here. You probably won't see anything until it rains or cools off enough that humidity starts collecting in the soil.

Little project I did a few weeks ago at the house to correct some drainage issues. Graded across the front and down the side of the house by hand. Moved about 5-6 yards of dirt and 4 tons of river rock along with 5 yards of hardwood mulch. Got about another 5 yards of mulch to finish everything off around here.
90E6C140-84DC-47DA-84AA-EF51DA10C7CA.jpeg
D8945772-8778-40B8-850F-BC8FC550509C.jpeg
52846631-7ACA-4D55-9EBB-ADBD90672164.jpeg
4EC0E65B-5F84-45EA-AEE4-8C4BF89B6741.jpeg
565B448C-3D6F-4F42-888E-598F07EFE6C7.jpeg
D0CDD401-734A-4B50-9263-0B2A97C7A5D5.jpeg

Attachments

• B27D2907-BA93-4F32-B105-095A96A87BE3.jpeg
    B27D2907-BA93-4F32-B105-095A96A87BE3.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 151

The heat held it back. If you have been watering the entire time some of the seed either tried to germinate and didnt make it or the heat was too much for it. Give it some time with this cooler weather and if in another week, you don't see anything coming up then you'll need to scratch and reseed.

The heat held it back. If you have been watering the entire time some of the seed either tried to germinate and didnt make it or the heat was too much for it. Give it some time with this cooler weather and if in another week, you don't see anything coming up then you'll need to scratch and reseed.
I sure hope it does! That was $160 worth of seed.

I have what I'm pretty sure is Oxailas based on this link: Weedless Wednesday: Oxalis
Its a red-ish clover looking weed I spent an afternoon pulling it all by hand (Which the link points out wont help) prior to my annual aerate and re-seeding this past weekend. Its already coming back in. Should 2-4D control this? I spray it about quarterly but have been fighting this weed all summer. Any tips?

I have what I'm pretty sure is Oxailas based on this link: Weedless Wednesday: Oxalis
Its a red-ish clover looking weed I spent an afternoon pulling it all by hand (Which the link points out wont help) prior to my annual aerate and re-seeding this past weekend. Its already coming back in. Should 2-4D control this? I spray it about quarterly but have been fighting this weed all summer. Any tips?
Don't spray it now before seeding. Oxallis is hard to kill because it's leaf surface repels the chemical. Be sure to use a surfactant with your spray and make sure the leaves of the plant look wet once you have sprayed them. Make sure that you arent talking about Black Medic, it's very prevalent in the hot part of summer and early fall. It reseeds VERY fast so you have to keep on top of it.

Make sure that you arent talking about Black Medic, it's very prevalent in the hot part of summer and early fall. It reseeds VERY fast so you have to keep on top of it.

Based on a quick search it looks more like the Oxalis, if it were Black Medic how does that affect treatment?

Improvise... A pitch fork stabbed into the ground a few hundred times works wonders.
Lol
That would suck also.

Afraid I may have caused the. 24" rock hill main water break.[emoji16] Been watering the shit out of my lawn the last week. (Arrated and seeded) today I saw signs of Growth!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think I know the answer but want to confirm,
Can I do anything about these weeds competing with my new 3-4 week old grass?
ef8bb58a5f518bc0a378c2a18c868893.jpg
9b97714c1035227d388d0718f78baa2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I over seeded my lawn this year, following most of the advice on the first page outlined by @R Q and others and have had VERY good results thus far, the lawn has come in very green, and very quickly. We are watering 2-3 times a week now, and the grass is just over 4" tall.

With our first official frost coming in, should I mow the lawn at all, or just leave it be? It is just over 3 weeks old and just over 4" tall. Wondering if cutting it now that the growing season is done is worth while or worse yet, harmful.

Planning on putting down my winter fertilizer in a couple of weeks, should that include a pre-emergence weed killer too?

Attached is my before and after

Attachments

• IMG_20191015_151116105_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191015_151116105_HDR.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20191103_165147257.jpg
    IMG_20191103_165147257.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Back