Lawn and Landscape

I over seeded my lawn this year, following most of the advice on the first page outlined by @R Q and others and have had VERY good results thus far, the lawn has come in very green, and very quickly. We are watering 2-3 times a week now, and the grass is just over 4" tall.

With our first official frost coming in, should I mow the lawn at all, or just leave it be? It is just over 3 weeks old and just over 4" tall. Wondering if cutting it now that the growing season is done is worth while or worse yet, harmful.

Planning on putting down my winter fertilizer in a couple of weeks, should that include a pre-emergence weed killer too?

Attached is my before and after
Mow it but at about 3.5''-4'' ht. Don't do it when there's frost on it. Looking good!

I'm close to finishing up on my patio project in my back yard. I have had to destroy the turf in almost half the yard to complete it. Is there anything I can do to prevent a muddy mess and erosion all winter and early spring?

You can seed with some rye grass and hope for the best or sod it!
Will a fescue sod take in the winter or will it need to be a specific kind? Thank you.

Will a fescue sod take in the winter or will it need to be a specific kind? Thank you.
Fescue will do great! Till and/or prepare compacted soil, add starter fert lightly and apply sod. Water it in and then stay off of it. Mow it when needed whether that is one week or a month. If the ground is squishy then you'll want to let it dry out enough for foot traffic before mowing.

Followed the advice on here and have had great success, my fescue planted in the fall came in great, and it is still very green, but I am noticing lots of clover (and clover like?) weeds coming in during these winter months. Is there something I can put down that will hold the clover back without having a negative impact on the new grass? I put down my winter fertilizer in december (a month after my seeding) but was told to hold off on any pre-emergent until the grass had a minimum of 4 cuttings.

I have also noticed the lawn is different shades of green throughout, some is very light, and other patches are light green, any good way to normalize the colors?

Followed the advice on here and have had great success, my fescue planted in the fall came in great, and it is still very green, but I am noticing lots of clover (and clover like?) weeds coming in during these winter months. Is there something I can put down that will hold the clover back without having a negative impact on the new grass? I put down my winter fertilizer in december (a month after my seeding) but was told to hold off on any pre-emergent until the grass had a minimum of 4 cuttings.

I have also noticed the lawn is different shades of green throughout, some is very light, and other patches are light green, any good way to normalize the colors?
For the broadleaf weeds you need to spray a braodleaf weed killer with 24-D. It's best to spray rather than apply granular. Weed B Gone for broadleaf weeds at Home Depot or Lowes will do the trick. The off color in the lawn is pretty much there until spring green up. You can apply the pre emergent fert the first week in march regardless if you have mowed or not.

Looks like a couple of our cypress trees may have caught the dreaded disease. Cut one down last night and will probably get rid of all of them shortly.
Suggestions on other low maintenance (minimal trimming required) screening trees of similar shape?

Looks like a couple of our cypress trees may have caught the dreaded disease. Cut one down last night and will probably get rid of all of them shortly.
Suggestions on other low maintenance (minimal trimming required) screening trees of similar shape?

Cryptomeria Radican is a good option too.

I need several blue rug juniper plants. I know I can go to broadwell's in Angier and save a metric butt-ton but my time is limited these days. Is there a good nursery anyone can recommend in the triad that'll have those at a reasonable price?

I need several blue rug juniper plants. I know I can go to broadwell's in Angier and save a metric butt-ton but my time is limited these days. Is there a good nursery anyone can recommend in the triad that'll have those at a reasonable price?

Try the following:
Greensboro Shrub Nursery (East Greensboro)
Gossets Landscape Nursery (North High Point)
Joe's Landscaping and Nursery (Lewisville)
Spivey's Nursery (Kernersville)

Yeah I priced cherry trees and river birch at Joe's this past may, and drove the 4hrs to save $2000 on that one. Hoping the low growing shrub stuff isn't such a drastic difference

Anyone know if this is poa annua, and will the fusillade ii or crossbow I have on hand kill it without taking out too much grass?
Or what it is and what would work on it?
Thanks in advance.
0244d34e8eab51249da65187a9515e29.jpg

It is that time of year. I put this down a week ago.
IMG_20200301_182651.jpg

I put this down right around Christmas time, and I don't have any weeds in my lawn.
IMG_20191226_142140973.jpg

What kind of grass do you guys have? I'm getting my Virgin yard ready to seed and I haven't 100% settled on a variety yet. I'm leaning towards Bermuda though. Big yard, right at an acre. I wanted zoysia but it was very cost prohibitive considering the size of the yard. Also I don't want to wait 2 or 3 yrs for full coverage. I don't want fescue since it stays green too long. I am not a yard guy. I want it green in the summer, brown in the winter and to have to mow it no more than necessary. I will not fertilize it, the most I can see myself doing is spraying a little 24d to knock the dandelion's down. So what am I looking for? :lol:

What kind of grass do you guys have? I'm getting my Virgin yard ready to seed and I haven't 100% settled on a variety yet. I'm leaning towards Bermuda though. Big yard, right at an acre. I wanted zoysia but it was very cost prohibitive considering the size of the yard. Also I don't want to wait 2 or 3 yrs for full coverage. I don't want fescue since it stays green too long. I am not a yard guy. I want it green in the summer, brown in the winter and to have to mow it no more than necessary. I will not fertilize it, the most I can see myself doing is spraying a little 24d to knock the dandelion's down. So what am I looking for? :lol:

Also, 90% of the yard is full sun. Well drained sandy loam soil.

Anyone know if this is poa annua, and will the fusillade ii or crossbow I have on hand kill it without taking out too much grass?
Thanks in advance.
0244d34e8eab51249da65187a9515e29.jpg

that’s not POA, hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like Hairy Bittercress

it’s considered a broadleaf, crossbow will get it

Thanks in advance.
that’s not POA, hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like Hairy Bittercress

it’s considered a broadleaf, crossbow will get it
Thanks!!

Anybody know where I can get some clover seeds? It seems to be the only damn thing that will grow in my yard and I have some bare spots. Its all green, right?
southern states carries it

Lets talk screening trees- I'm tired of sitting on my porch and looking into one of my neighbors kitchen windows. The go to around here seems toe be the Green Giants, and While they claim to do "OK" in partial sun I have heard mixed reviews. Seems like another popular one is the Nelly Stevens Holly. What can you tell me about these? I have 3 mature Oaks (May consider removing 1) with a higher canopy and the fence line is partially shaded from afternoon sun due to the garage/shop.

-Tim

I've had good results with Cleyera Japonica, Aucuba Japonica, Cherry Laurel, and Loropetelum in part shade for screening but they do take time to get to size, which is 8-15'.

Back