Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

Ready for work...

Class 4 hitch installed, brake controller, serviced, aligned, balanced, new pulleys, wipers, detailed, armed via glock, tagged, insured, window tint next week, e.t.c e.t.c...

8b012f9405d18cebfb2f9f52604642e6.jpg
fe63f0cc505838be0a14b72860e0c977.jpg
13943012d7d54e2f5f950fea6d476cb3.jpg
0d01a48a0200a33a1371820644b45009.jpg
ee49164d9215ebb7c0b8771a307eb3c8.jpg
5fb405a60ca26c938b83eda487bd651e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For the love of God, don't add dual exhaust or a performance muffler. I made that mistake with my Excursion and immediately took them off.
I did do the Y pipe mod and opened up the grille opening in front of the air intake.

Y pipe is laying in the back floorboard, just needs to be installed. I didn't add it but it already has a dynomax muffler with dual exits. It's a touch loud but sounds pretty good, the tow to the next wheeling trip will decide it's fate. I'll probably open up the grille when I swap headlights as I have to cut the header panel anyways.

V10 Mafia
View attachment 309748
Definitely gonna regear to get od back but all in all she tows pretty good.

you'll be happy with that setup.

For the love of God, don't add dual exhaust or a performance muffler. I made that mistake with my Excursion and immediately took them off.
I did do the Y pipe mod and opened up the grille opening in front of the air intake.

definite agreement!

but i did do smog legal headers during motor replacement (multiple manifold studs had evacuated anyhow...); no noticeable difference in the cab but there was a pickup in performance- given that mine is an F-450 5 speed with a 4.88 gear, a kick in the pants to drive unladen from stoplight to stoplight.

definite agreement!

but i did do smog legal headers during motor replacement (multiple manifold studs had evacuated anyhow...); no noticeable difference in the cab but there was a pickup in performance- given that mine is an F-450 5 speed with a 4.88 gear, a kick in the pants to drive unladen from stoplight to stoplight.

It'll get headers eventually just have to much other stuff going on to try and get them installed as I know quite a few studs will go mia on removal.

definite agreement!

Yup.
V10s love lower gears to get the RPMs up.

It'll get headers eventually just have to much other stuff going on to try and get them installed as I know quite a few studs will go mia on removal.

i broke no studs upon removal, they were already broken and missing from age/ expansion and contraction/ wear and tear...

there's no way i would try to install the headers and repair broken studs while the engine is in the chassis. The low mileage motor i installed had about 8 of 20 studs flush with the head, and maybe 3 that were above the surface. fortunately i did mine in the floor with a drained motor and a tig welder to back all the studs out. it appeared that they were all bottomed out against the shank/end of threads... which made them more difficult to remove. no stud extractors were harmed in the process, lol, only scrap nuts welded thru the threads...

first tow impression with the new to me work van... approx gcw 20k, van and contents approx 8500lbs; approx gcw empty 10500lbs.

- when empty, this is the first gas rig i've felt comfortable using cruise control. i typically don't use cruise with my ford gas vehicles because the kick down into passing gear to maintain speed was usually abrupt and made the rpm rise into the 4000's. i really don't like to spin that high. i would typically apply throttle, manually, very early to get a run on the next incline- that said, i am a huge fan of the 5r110 in fords, but first impression of the 6l90 behind the 6.0 is very good; yes my identical passenger van works just as well (towing manche at 17k gcw) but it's geared 3.42 vs. the cargo's 3.73, a major difference in seat of the pants feel from torque and horsepower...the passenger van will get regeared in the future...hint hint @Jody Treadway. the extra gear in the 6l90 is a definite plus...

- when loaded, i did not use cruise, but it's a non-issue. haven't used cruise for work in a few years when towing. in my million miles of towing experience, the transmission is what does the real work, no matter the engine, gas or diesel. again, maintaining speed in the van was a non-issue when loaded. it really likes to stay around 75 and 2200 rpms in top gear when heavy, while dropping to 5th and 4th a few times on some hills on I-77 N, maxing about 3400 rpm. what really impressed me was 10.5 mpg all day on a tank and a half, hand checked, identical to the computer along with gallons used being dead on. that's 1mpg better than the passenger van for recreation, 1.5 mpg better than the f250 with 5.4/5r110 and 2.5 better than the f450 with v10/5pd man!

- but my main reason for going with a van, aside from i just like vans; ( my first vehicle was a 77 econoline, and this van makes my 5th fullsize) was the overall ride and comfort level. the ride is plush yet controlled. being able to place carried load absolutely between the axles rather than on and behind, as in a pickup, makes for excellent braking and suspension characteristics, you'll find it difficult to load a long wheel base van, and end up with your nose up. f450/550's excluded, this is a huge improvement over any brand pickup i've used. and secondly, overall noise and comfort...every pickup i've ever used be it new or 250k miles is just noisy in the chassis and rattle department... but not a fullsize van. thirdly is seating position. pickups have gradually turned into cars as far as having your feet in front rather than under your ass. this is uncomfortable for long durations for me at 6'4". but the van seating remains unchanged. I sit up, above my knees with my feet under me, much like a chair, and it just works better for me.

- towed a load yesterday with the cargo, nothing on the van (6400 gross) but combined with trailer 17k. almost exact chassis characteristics and ride as the previous load with weight in the van. towing the same load with a pickup...backaches and involuntary filling removal...

first tow impression with the new to me work van... approx gcw 20k, van and contents approx 8500lbs; approx gcw empty 10500lbs.

- when empty, this is the first gas rig i've felt comfortable using cruise control. i typically don't use cruise with my ford gas vehicles because the kick down into passing gear to maintain speed was usually abrupt and made the rpm rise into the 4000's. i really don't like to spin that high. i would typically apply throttle, manually, very early to get a run on the next incline- that said, i am a huge fan of the 5r110 in fords, but first impression of the 6l90 behind the 6.0 is very good; yes my identical passenger van works just as well (towing manche at 17k gcw) but it's geared 3.42 vs. the cargo's 3.73, a major difference in seat of the pants feel from torque and horsepower...the passenger van will get regeared in the future...hint hint @Jody Treadway. the extra gear in the 6l90 is a definite plus...

- when loaded, i did not use cruise, but it's a non-issue. haven't used cruise for work in a few years when towing. in my million miles of towing experience, the transmission is what does the real work, no matter the engine, gas or diesel. again, maintaining speed in the van was a non-issue when loaded. it really likes to stay around 75 and 2200 rpms in top gear when heavy, while dropping to 5th and 4th a few times on some hills on I-77 N, maxing about 3400 rpm. what really impressed me was 10.5 mpg all day on a tank and a half, hand checked, identical to the computer along with gallons used being dead on. that's 1mpg better than the passenger van for recreation, 1.5 mpg better than the f250 with 5.4/5r110 and 2.5 better than the f450 with v10/5pd man!

- but my main reason for going with a van, aside from i just like vans; ( my first vehicle was a 77 econoline, and this van makes my 5th fullsize) was the overall ride and comfort level. the ride is plush yet controlled. being able to place carried load absolutely between the axles rather than on and behind, as in a pickup, makes for excellent braking and suspension characteristics, you'll find it difficult to load a long wheel base van, and end up with your nose up. f450/550's excluded, this is a huge improvement over any brand pickup i've used. and secondly, overall noise and comfort...every pickup i've ever used be it new or 250k miles is just noisy in the chassis and rattle department... but not a fullsize van. thirdly is seating position. pickups have gradually turned into cars as far as having your feet in front rather than under your ass. this is uncomfortable for long durations for me at 6'4". but the van seating remains unchanged. I sit up, above my knees with my feet under me, much like a chair, and it just works better for me.

- towed a load yesterday with the cargo, nothing on the van (6400 gross) but combined with trailer 17k. almost exact chassis characteristics and ride as the previous load with weight in the van. towing the same load with a pickup...backaches and involuntary filling removal...

I've had vans, and an RV with a van front end. My biggest "like" is the seat positioning, Not many vehicles that I have driven allow me enough leg room, with the vans, I can actually NOT, run the seat back as far as it will go.

Right now, I have a 2002 2500, with an 8.1 and an Allison. I have been temped to sell it, or trade it for a van, with a 6.0 and a 3/4 tone chassis.

Not a great pic.

Of the outside as it was dark after picking it up from a friend.

He did an epoxy floor coating on it for me

92cb89ff9c03512d97eaada8eebb0011.jpg
1132566b2db1fdeea2e4ce39ac98f84f.jpg

Specs on the trailer? Looks nice
Trailer made by Bravo. 20' enclosed with 2' v in front. Steel structure with all aluminum sides and roof. Seemless. No rivets. 5200lb axles with brakes on both and axle are separated for more stable towing. 7' tall inside roof height

jupW8RNC5GurBuaCYWcxM6wmY_sGhj73A_siiNtieXsR0iD0YXO1LNL5LlsfCE84rQUYDfdYl5oBG_Y1dOokF1QY2S_kBkr49mPhIbYnX48Amegog55NFgkqCpmKUKJJ0RORRWU0TqClqxdFk8dYIDoAFxOZhoUogXeS0MjrcdaqvAmktb-j-mf5tUJOCWksj9bojajq3xuuYeymIdqVzzLsvbiXGvNRKwIyluHfpgLfoNfwvGVcZL3S6GCf8e_3-iRoQRXzVc08OLwxkFq-7pgAeNqE4B2PghU9jr5GumcSH-Drn5TDKcFLZwMQOqBfUPr-b_RepEFq6WXSIRhXmoFiKDfghan4ireBVDxmVUii0DjZnoFhshErDh3sKsP56FyC8bDuh7BoQ2z1WADUdM6dFEGrsjMdewr8oFNj8l7Oyl10slB6KAGFkPEzHBjJ8tB9RRZ-ytTTSM_V-rnQLmSyi1fn-KKeDnzkHzifYIBmRhB-bIsOM1R3rsB67zVm-k5s-LbN1M7t1QSyG6M_5IVOjtpNXZ89VZBE1UbotMfLzxaCAQbbPwZCn4-qvWoaRgZpI3oJuZ2gPR6jqDgSE4hK-2pB9_F_g9rKCbABE-Z1XhwzJVEXXtGShGs4zmbD7B1XJmF_RoFp8oFDPmJGJUoKxawoZWNIYdVEPQ3ecTsr-cgbtEq-Wi4=w1680-h818-no

First tow with the V10 went well. Got a whopping 7.1 mpgs the whole way, but there was lots of 75 mph+ towing. Did blow the #10 plug out right before we got to 81 on the way there, I now know that what I thought was an exhaust leak wasn't. Big thanks to my buddies to who ran to the parts store, stayed with me and fixed it. @Joe J. @77GreenMachine @Nakoma @BigClay

Definitely need to quiet the exhaust down some, the Y pipe opened her up ALOT and she screams over 2500 rpms. Pretty much anyone that went can attest to how loud this thing is.

jupW8RNC5GurBuaCYWcxM6wmY_sGhj73A_siiNtieXsR0iD0YXO1LNL5LlsfCE84rQUYDfdYl5oBG_Y1dOokF1QY2S_kBkr49mPhIbYnX48Amegog55NFgkqCpmKUKJJ0RORRWU0TqClqxdFk8dYIDoAFxOZhoUogXeS0MjrcdaqvAmktb-j-mf5tUJOCWksj9bojajq3xuuYeymIdqVzzLsvbiXGvNRKwIyluHfpgLfoNfwvGVcZL3S6GCf8e_3-iRoQRXzVc08OLwxkFq-7pgAeNqE4B2PghU9jr5GumcSH-Drn5TDKcFLZwMQOqBfUPr-b_RepEFq6WXSIRhXmoFiKDfghan4ireBVDxmVUii0DjZnoFhshErDh3sKsP56FyC8bDuh7BoQ2z1WADUdM6dFEGrsjMdewr8oFNj8l7Oyl10slB6KAGFkPEzHBjJ8tB9RRZ-ytTTSM_V-rnQLmSyi1fn-KKeDnzkHzifYIBmRhB-bIsOM1R3rsB67zVm-k5s-LbN1M7t1QSyG6M_5IVOjtpNXZ89VZBE1UbotMfLzxaCAQbbPwZCn4-qvWoaRgZpI3oJuZ2gPR6jqDgSE4hK-2pB9_F_g9rKCbABE-Z1XhwzJVEXXtGShGs4zmbD7B1XJmF_RoFp8oFDPmJGJUoKxawoZWNIYdVEPQ3ecTsr-cgbtEq-Wi4=w1680-h818-no

First tow with the V10 went well. Got a whopping 7.1 mpgs the whole way, but there was lots of 75 mph+ towing. Did blow the #10 plug out right before we got to 81 on the way there, I now know that what I thought was an exhaust leak wasn't. Big thanks to my buddies to who ran to the parts store, stayed with me and fixed it. @Joe J. @77GreenMachine @Nakoma @BigClay

Definitely need to quiet the exhaust down some, the Y pipe opened her up ALOT and she screams over 2500 rpms. Pretty much anyone that went can attest to how loud this thing is.

Still cheaper than a tank of diesel fuel, and diesel repairs...not to mention the price of a used diesel truck!

Back