Lots of interesting news today

I'm not plugging in my electric car to discharge it.
And this is why it will never work :D

Realistically you could plug in to discharge when you get home from work, and then it would recharge overnight once demand dropped.

Indeed, not fake news, but certainly overdramatic interpretation.

The bidirectional charging idea could provide tremendous relief with enough cooperation. The power grid produces more than enough overall capacity in 24 hours, but it gets overwhelmed during peak hours. A reprieve of probably 10-15% during peak hours would likely solve the issue almost everywhere it is occurring. Energy storage is an up and coming "big thing" and electric cars actually can help with that.
There is a major flaw with the bidirectional charging thing. It's a great idea if you need to recharge something that is DC - and has its own storage capacity - but that's not how home AC and the power grid works. Everything is AC, and used on demand. I can't power my home directly off of the car. The only way this will work if is that charger is also an inverter, and is putting power back into the main grid, and my house is then a net positive draw instead of negative.

It would essentially be like using your car like how people do with Solar to dedcrease grid load.
Ah but see then, if its a system liek above, then you take you car to work, power it up for free, drive home, then sell that power back to the power company :D .

In allseriousness the benefit isn't really to the individual consumer, its that the cars end up becoming a sort of leveling-out agent for power storage and balancing. Basically cars as batteries for homes.

I was unaware this was such a contributor to the driver shortage.
More evidence that we really ned Federal legalization, or at the least removal of Fed regulation, of Mary Jane.

(And before the finger pointing and grumbling about government begins, note this is largely an effect from the prior administration.)

A note on AC to DC and back again power conversion. It takes energy to convert energy to different forms and there are losses in any conversion, even in storage sometimes. A good inverter's efficiency is probably around 70% or lower. So a car's stored energy transfered back to an ac grid would end up costing net 30%.

Same can be said about stepping high voltage ac power (largely generated by dino burning power plants) to high line voltage that experiences losses all through the grid through various other energy conversions finally to be stepped down to 220v into your home or office. Further to convert this ac voltage down to 48 volts DC takes a substantial hit in efficiency. So while all these big boy power wheels cruising the streets are a cool use of modern technology, they are in no stretch of the imagination the answer to the current perceived energy shortage. In fact I think my dino burning diesel truck is actually more energy efficient end to end than a EV. Haven't run the actual numbers and there's my own dino burning bias in all this, but EV's don't run on rainbows and happy thoughts like the granola crunching media seems to believe.

I feel better now...

A note on AC to DC and back again power conversion. It takes energy to convert energy to different forms and there are losses in any conversion, even in storage sometimes. A good inverter's efficiency is probably around 70% or lower. So a car's stored energy transfered back to an ac grid would end up costing net 30%.

Same can be said about stepping high voltage ac power (largely generated by dino burning power plants) to high line voltage that experiences losses all through the grid through various other energy conversions finally to be stepped down to 220v into your home or office. Further to convert this ac voltage down to 48 volts DC takes a substantial hit in efficiency. So while all these big boy power wheels cruising the streets are a cool use of modern technology, they are in no stretch of the imagination the answer to the current perceived energy shortage. In fact I think my dino burning diesel truck is actually more energy efficient end to end than a EV. Haven't run the actual numbers and there's my own dino burning bias in all this, but EV's don't run on rainbows and happy thoughts like the granola crunching media seems to believe.

I feel better now...
Add to that that the energy loss is usually in the form of heat. During the winter that might be a convenient side effect but in summer the last thing you want is increasing the heat envelope of your home, that's just more energy needed to move it away

Indeed, not fake news, but certainly overdramatic interpretation.

The bidirectional charging idea could provide tremendous relief with enough cooperation. The power grid produces more than enough overall capacity in 24 hours, but it gets overwhelmed during peak hours. A reprieve of probably 10-15% during peak hours would likely solve the issue almost everywhere it is occurring. Energy storage is an up and coming "big thing" and electric cars actually can help with that.

Biggest issue here is power cycling the battery and degradation.

Biggest issue here is power cycling the battery and degradation.
But that's good for the economy, because people will have to keep buying batteries, which keeeps people employed!

But that's good for the economy, because people will have to keep buying batteries, which keeeps people employed!
Being in the material handling industry and dealing with battery powered vehicles on the regular, making them main stream will be a cluster fuck. Hardly anybody maintains their IC powered vehicles, you think anyone will do any different on a total electric ?
Even as maintenance free as they may be “better design makes better idiots”
The charging stations required for home use will be an issue for a lot of homes, either not having the power to fully charge in a timely manner or just not having the infrastructure locally to support multiple charge stations.
Let alone, how many folk are just in and out all day everyday ? Holy crap I swear half my neighborhood never lets their junk cool off. This is also not conducive to proper charging.
Opportunity charging is fine… for awhile, again it’s a process that most wouldn’t understand.
Lead acid, Lithium Ion, each have their own issues that a “normal person” just won’t get.

Electric is happening, whether any of us think it’s a good idea or not. ”May you live in interesting times” has become an understatement for most of us…

This is terrible.

This is terrible.

It's like these peeps are being coached/pushed do these terrible things :(

Seeing reports the shooter was trans? If so he’ll be played as a victim of life.

This is terrible.

This type of news makes me physically sick. It's not enough that parents have to worry about there kids from "normal" everyday stuff, but then you have to add stuff like this to the list. A mass shooting is terrible regardless of age, sex, religion, etc, but when its little kids...

This type of news makes me physically sick. It's not enough that parents have to worry about there kids from "normal" everyday stuff, but then you have to add stuff like this to the list. A mass shooting is terrible regardless of age, sex, religion, etc, but when its little kids...
All of the kids killed were in 4th grade, so 9 and 10 yrs olds. My son is 11 and in 5th grade. It is very upsetting. I would be full of rage if he was killed by some psychotic 18 yr old kid.

All of the kids killed were in 4th grade, so 9 and 10 yrs olds. My son is 11 and in 5th grade. It is very upsetting. I would be full of rage if he was killed by some psychotic 18 yr old kid.
I can't imagine. It just floors me when everyone scream gun control but its never a family problem and all the signs that were there. Him cutting his face with a knife "just for fun" and basically dropping out of school and then mad that he wasn't going to graduate.

Psycho murderer: Salvador Ramos:

1653487820498.png

I can't imagine. It just floors me when everyone scream gun control but its never a family problem and all the signs that were there. Him cutting his face with a knife "just for fun" and basically dropping out of school and then mad that he wasn't going to graduate.
But, when/how are we gonna reduce access to people like this? That's my question.

This shit hits hard for me too. Thinking of losing my 11yr old or 14 yr old is a tough thing to think about.

But, when/how are we gonna reduce access to people like this? That's my question.

This shit hits hard for me too. Thinking of losing my 11yr old or 14 yr old is a tough thing to think about.
I totally understand this hitting parents of young kids when we think about the victims. But I wonder how many parents of 18 y.o. kids are taking a solid look at their own house.

Every teenager goes through some kind of drama as they mature. I'll be the first to admit that my son went through some serious adjustments. He's come through shining. But there were touch and go moments where I worried (not just a little).

How do you reach parents to say "yes, it could be your little baby that does something like this"?

I've asked myself that since 1998 when my old Spanish teacher was gunned down by his own son (Kip Kinkel) before the kid went on a shooting spree in Thurston HS.

Last edited:

That's the age old question. Personally, I don't think outlawing anything or making it "harder" to get access to weapons is ever going to be the answer. Somehow, someway, if someone wants to commit a heinous crime like this... a little law ain't gonna stop them from doing it. I don't think there is one size fits all solution to this problem.
Do the schools need to feel like prison in order to keep unwanted people out? Do they need to have police there at all times? Do the teachers need to be trained and armed? Is this a product of the killer not being cared for/loved/attended to while in school? Is it a home problem?
The problem is that it is a problem, a problem none of us seem to have the answer to and I think that is what is really infuriating.

I totally understand this hitting parents of young kids when we think about the victims. But I wonder how many parents of 18 y.o. kids are taking a solid look at their own house.

Every teenager goes through some kind of drama as they mature. I'll be the first to admit that my son went through some serious adjustments. He's come through shining. But there were touch and go moments where I worried (not just a little).

How do you reach parents to say "yes, it could be your little baby that does something like this"?

I've asked myself that since 1998 when my old Spanish teacher was gunned down by his own son (Kip Kinkle) before the kid went on a shooting spree in Thurston HS.
Facts.

I think some kids are what my father in law calls "Being raised by wolves" as he says he was. His dad was killed at a young age and his mom was never home and he says that he absolutely agrees that's the reason he got into drugs and into trouble so much because he had no one to tell him any differently or anyone to sit down with him and give him the attention he needed. Now I know there are people who lived a similar childhood and turned out fine, but I think it just effects kids in different ways. No parent wants to admit that there child may be capable of doing something like this, but unless you are really involved in your child's life and raise them to be a decent human being, how can you ever really know?

Being raised in a good home, for sure, does not guarantee a child will not grow up a bad person. I can't imagine that it hurts though. My brother was a prime example till the day he died. Parents definitely need to understand warning signs and realize their child is capable of anything, even bad things.

I'm that guy that would be happy to jump through more hoops to buy guns if it would mean saving just 1 life. Will it fix the problem, nope. But, I do believe it could help certain situations.

In the end, people are assholes. That's why we are where we are. People treat people like shit constantly and it's always in your face with social media. No wonder shit like this happens. I'm sure there are 100's of people thinking about doing this very thing daily, but it never comes to fruition.

I've asked myself that since 1998 when my old Spanish teacher was gunned down by his own son (Kip Kinkel) before the kid went on a shooting spree in Thurston HS.
this.
Like 95% of all social issues, we should be focusing on the source of the problem, not the facilitators.

Being raised in a good home, for sure, does not guarantee a child will not grow up a bad person. I can't imagine that it hurts though. My brother was a prime example till the day he died. Parents definitely need to understand warning signs and realize their child is capable of anything, even bad things.

I'm that guy that would be happy to jump through more hoops to buy guns if it would mean saving just 1 life. Will it fix the problem, nope. But, I do believe it could help certain situations.

In the end, people are assholes. That's why we are where we are. People treat people like shit constantly and it's always in your face with social media. No wonder shit like this happens. I'm sure there are 100's of people thinking about doing this very thing daily, but it never comes to fruition.
I have no issue with harsher or more thorough background checks...bring em. I don't know why the left thinks all gun owners just want to be able to walk into a store, point, swipe, and leave. and you are right, growing up in a good home doesn't always mean you won't grow up bad, I just think its a fundamental problem that has almost vanished. One of the reasons this whole subject is weighing heavy on me is there is a little boy in my daughters class who constantly gets in trouble. No manners, throws tantrums, acts out, hits the teachers, and my wife and I have talked to her teachers about him and they said that they have mentioned the issues to the parents and they said the parents just shrug it off and can tell that he little boy doesn't have a great home life and its sad. Not saying that he is going to end up being another Ramos, but what if?

Back