Lots of interesting news today

Easy solution. DUI conviction with a death. Death penalty without possibility of appeal

Agreed. First DUI license suspended and a hefty fine. Second time, a bigger fine and license gone for good.

Agreed. First DUI license suspended and a hefty fine. Second time, a bigger fine and license gone for good.
I agree that for many this might deter them some. For others, it will not. I have inlaws that drive around without licenses all the time, as long as they can make a car payment.

I agree that for many this might deter them some. For others, it will not. I have inlaws that drive around without licenses all the time, as long as they can make a car payment.

Yup. A friend of mine I rode dirtbikes with back in my 20's lost his license for 5 years from DUI's. He never stopped driving.

Harsher punishments are rarely an effective deterrent because it only applies if you think you're going to get caught. People don't drive drunk bc they think "Eh it's no big deal if something happens" they think, "I'm not that drunk I can make it home w/o problem." "It's only a short drive" "I'm good at driving drunk" etc etc.

I can't second this one enough. I was coming home once driving my ex-boss's Cadillac STS (early 90's). He and one of the other owners of the company were in a car not far behind me to get his car from my house. As I was crossing an intersection at about 45 mph, a car in the oncoming lane decided to turn left directly in front of me at a rather high rate of speed. Our cars collided in the middle of the intersection causing both cars to completely spin around in the intersection with both cars facing the directions we came from. The STS started filling up with smoke from the airbag deployment. The force of the hit was so strong it ejected the battery clear out of the car. No battery meant no power locks, and I couldn't figure out how to get the door open in my dazed situation. The guy who had been following the car that hit me stopped and got me out of the car since he had the wherewithal to tell me how to open the door.

After he got me out of the car, he told me not to go after her since she had been swerving all over the road and crossed the centerline at least three times. Dude had a friend of his to keep her occupied until the police came. A cop pulled up not long after and did a field sobriety test (even though it was obvious to everyone that she was tanked. It was November in Michigan and she was literally hopping around barefoot. She was arrested on the spot and both cars were towed to the same impound yard. It was her third offense drunk driving and she was coming home from work LIT.

We went to the impound yard to get our personal effects out of the car and checked out her stuff. In her briefcase, she had tickets to Alladin on Ice for that night. Had we not been in the wreck, she most likely would have taken her kids in the car and wrecked with them in the car instead.

I can't second this one enough. I was coming home once driving my ex-boss's Cadillac STS (early 90's). He and one of the other owners of the company were in a car not far behind me to get his car from my house. As I was crossing an intersection at about 45 mph, a car in the oncoming lane decided to turn left directly in front of me at a rather high rate of speed. Our cars collided in the middle of the intersection causing both cars to completely spin around in the intersection with both cars facing the directions we came from. The STS started filling up with smoke from the airbag deployment. The force of the hit was so strong it ejected the battery clear out of the car. No battery meant no power locks, and I couldn't figure out how to get the door open in my dazed situation. The guy who had been following the car that hit me stopped and got me out of the car since he had the wherewithal to tell me how to open the door.

After he got me out of the car, he told me not to go after her since she had been swerving all over the road and crossed the centerline at least three times. Dude had a friend of his to keep her occupied until the police came. A cop pulled up not long after and did a field sobriety test (even though it was obvious to everyone that she was tanked. It was November in Michigan and she was literally hopping around barefoot. She was arrested on the spot and both cars were towed to the same impound yard. It was her third offense drunk driving and she was coming home from work LIT.

We went to the impound yard to get our personal effects out of the car and checked out her stuff. In her briefcase, she had tickets to Alladin on Ice for that night. Had we not been in the wreck, she most likely would have taken her kids in the car and wrecked with them in the car instead.

My inlaws were almost killed by a drunk driver. He was driving the wrong way up US421 (north in the southbound lanes) in excess of 100 MPH. He quite literally ran their crv over.... in a corolla. Thus was about 1130 at night. Fortunately the medic who ran the call knew them and knew me and called me so I could get my (at the time) fiance and take her to the hospital. So drunk drivers hold a very special level of hatred in my eyes.

Not sure how you can gray drunk driving.
My cousin was in a wreck at 20. He had admittedly drank a 22 ounce beer 4 hours before while fishing. His friend died in the wreck.
Since there was a death - and even with no signs of impairment - a toxicology screen was ran.
Since he was underage his .018 - not .18 .018 was by definition in SC driving under the influence. Since there was a death in the car he was convicted of vehicular homicide. The solicitor said it was a wrong compounding of charges (under age zero tolerance - dui conviction and wreck resulting in death) but by the letter of the law he had no choice. They gave him the minimum sentence which was 5 years without possibility of parole or reduction .

Shades of grey

Last edited:

You think a hefty fine and no license would stop that woman? She already had 2 DUI offenses...no fix for that except life in prison or death penalty. Fines and suspensions only affect those that have a conscious and care. Those types are getting fewer by the day.

My cousin was in a wreck at 20. He had admittedly drank a 22 ounce beer 4 hours before while fishing. His friend died in the wreck.
Since there was a death - and even with no signs of impairment - a toxicology screen was ran.
Since he was underage his .018 - not .18 .018 was by definition in SC driving under the influence. Since there was a death in the car he was convicted of vehicular homicide. The solicitor said it was a wrong compounding of charges (under age zero tolerance - dui conviction and wreck resulting in death) but by the letter of the law he had no choice. They gave him the minimum sentence which was 5 years without possibility of parole or reduction .

Shades of grey
I see no grey. Compounding issues rolled into tragedy yes. No grey. Several things went south. But the "letter" was written to keep influence from allowing interpretations to favor individuals. Obviously his folks didn't have the means or contact to lesson the repercussions. Now if we could fix that a lot of grey would disappear.

I see no grey. Compounding issues rolled into tragedy yes. No grey. Several things went south. But the "letter" was written to keep influence from allowing interpretations to favor individuals. Obviously his folks didn't have the means or contact to lesson the repercussions. Now if we could fix that a lot of grey would disappear.
Was the wreck a result of his impairment? Was he even at fault in the wreck?

Was the wreck a result of his impairment? Was he even at fault in the wreck?
Doesn't matter. And I don't agree with the law but the first law broken was under age drinking. Did it cause or have influence I don't know. Does it matter to the law? No it doesn't. Do I agree? Nope. (NOPE in the context I don't agree with the legal age. You good enough the serve and die then you good enough to drink...make it 18.)
My bigger point was grey exist and those affluent enough to expand it for benefit is the bigger problem. The fix: No grey and no influence to create it.

Doesn't matter. And I don't agree with the law but the first law broken was under age drinking. Did it cause or have influence I don't know. Does it matter to the law? No it doesn't. Do I agree? Nope. (NOPE in the context I don't agree with the legal age. You good enough the serve and die then you good enough to drink...make it 18.)
My bigger point was grey exist and those affluent enough to expand it for benefit is the bigger problem. The fix: No grey and no influence to create it.
I can’t go into detail here…but trust me when I tell you there is not amount of influence this family lacks.
In their specific case their influence likely even hurt them.

Why did he wreck? Was he at fault?
Underage drinking and driving? Wrecking so hard you kill someone?
We need more info to determine if it was 'grey' or not.
He rolled a Tahoe. 1 car accident .
He was not cited for any traffic or operational error and was not found at fault for the accident . Speed was deemed not a factor.

He rolled a Tahoe. 1 car accident .
He was not cited for any traffic or operational error and was not found at fault for the accident . Speed was deemed not a factor.

I hate it and individual stories suck. But vehicles don’t roll themselves. And does a slight impairment of a new teenage driver cause him to not be able to react quick enough to the unexpected. I saw alcohol did play a factor. Maybe it was just a .01 second day in reaction but still a factor.

Interesting. So was he swerving to avoid a deer or dog? Looking at the radio? Tire blow out at speed and overcorrected? SOMETHING caused a 6000lb SUV to roll hard enough to kill someone. I get there are grey areas, but there is cause/fault when you roll your car and kill a friend when driving home from fishing. Most would look at the driver. For sure a sucky situation.

I think we all would agree that driving provably drunk multiple times and killing someone would deserve the harshest penalty possible, just so they don't do it again...and maybe kill you or your loved one.

Interesting. So was he swerving to avoid a deer or dog? Looking at the radio? Tire blow out at speed and overcorrected? SOMETHING caused a 6000lb SUV to roll hard enough to kill someone. I get there are grey areas, but there is cause/fault when you roll your car and kill a friend when driving home from fishing. Most would look at the driver. For sure a sucky situation.

I think we all would agree that driving provably drunk multiple times and killing someone would deserve the harshest penalty possible, just so they don't do it again...and maybe kill you or your loved one.
To be clear - I am not saying he was without fault nor am I saying he shouldn’t have been punished.
I am saying it didn’t deserve the death penalty as @Futbalfantic suggeted

And the winner of today's prize for "Fucked Around and Found Out" goes to...
Daily Mail: Customer fatally shoots robber after he held up Houston restaurant with fake gun.

WITAF?
The year is 2033. Elon Musk is no longer one of the richest people in the world, having haemorrhaged away his fortune trying to make Twitter profitable. Which, alas, hasn’t worked out too well: only 420 people are left on the platform. Everyone else was banned for not laughing at Musk’s increasingly desperate jokes.
In other news, Pete Davidson is now dating Martha Stewart. Donald Trump is still threatening to run for president. And British tabloids are still churning out 100 articles a day about whether Meghan Markle eating lunch is an outrageous snub to the royal family.
Obviously I have no idea what the world is going to look like in a decade. But here’s one prediction I feel very confident making: without a free and fearless press the future will be bleak. Without independent journalism, democracy is doomed. Without journalists who hold power to account, the future will be entirely shaped by the whims and wants of the 1%.
A lot of the 1% are not big fans of the Guardian, by the way. Donald Trump once praised a Montana congressman who body-slammed a Guardian reporter. Musk, meanwhile, has described the Guardian, as “the most insufferable newspaper on planet Earth.” I’m not sure there is any greater compliment.
I am proud to write for the Guardian. But ethics can be expensive. Not having a paywall means that the Guardian has to regularly ask our readers to chip in. If you are able, please do consider supporting us. Only with your help can we continue to get on Elon Musk’s nerves.

Welp never reading their site again

Back