Lots of interesting news today

Got this in email this morning from the Libertas Institute. I have some of these books and my kids really like them.
Here's the list of banks that should be bailed out
🏦

First SVB, then Signature Bank… the past few days have seen a lot of turmoil in the banking industry.
So, I present to you… the comprehensive list of all banks deserving a bailout:
  1. None of them
  2. When in doubt, see #1
“There’s been a loss of financial discipline with the government bailing out depositors in full,” investor Ken Griffin said on Monday. He noted that these bailouts are an attack on the capitalist economy, which he said was “breaking down before our eyes.”
He's not wrong. Bankers and politicians are once again crying out for more intervention, more easy money, more kicking the can down the road.
And all of the problems stem from the Creature from Jekyll Island — the Federal Reserve that manipulates the interest rate and prints up funny money like there's no tomorrow.
I believe the solutions are simple: people who made bad decisions should have to suffer the consequences, rather than making the rest of us pay for their mistakes.
It's not rocket science. That's a principle so simple that most kids can understand it.
And there are a ton of kids who do understand it, because it's a theme throughout our Tuttle Twins books.
It's times like these that our mission becomes more focused — because we know that these principles need to be taught better in homes and schools throughout the country.
So we're doing our part by launching a massive discount today on a big bundle of educational content so your family — and your friends and neighbors — can focus on learning sound principles in a world filled with confusion.
More bailouts, more spending, more inflation. What can we do about it?
We can educate our kids and teach them true principles. We can help them understand why free markets are so important.
We can have family discussions about what’s going on and how we can protect our hard-earned savings from all the inflation and banking shenanigans happening.
We want to help… so grab our Bank Bailout Book Bonanza — a huge discount on our popular books through Saturday night!
This bundle includes (at nearly 80% off the total price!):
  • All 13 of our paperback children's books — teaching things like entrepreneurship, money, personal responsibility, true education, and much more…
  • All 13 of our PDF printable activity workbooks so your kids can keep learning the lessons after reading the book
  • All 13 of our MP3 audiobooks so your kids can listen along to a professionally recorded version as they read
  • All 13 of our PDF parent guides so that you can ask your child important discussion questions and have suggested answers to review
  • Our popular Tuttle Tales family card game to generate more discussions and creativity around the ideas from the books
  • 3 of our popular e-books
No coupon needed. Grab the bundle before Saturday and tell your friends — especially if they're a politician or a banker.
😎
Deal ends Saturday night!
countdownmail.com

We fight ignorance by teaching more people the truth.
Let's do our part by making sure our kids know the importance of free markets and personal responsibility.
And share the sale with a friend you think would want to pick up the deal!
—Connor

The thing really stuck with me was "We fight ignorance by teaching more people the truth." I'll be the first to admit that I spend more time complaining than educating and trying to improve. The left has figured out that the best way is to indoctrinate kids early in life, and unless we counter that, the direction will not change.
Just had some of those books delivered for the kids...

Do you have an account with them? 4.5% APY is interesting.
Note form the site:
  1. Earn 4.50% APY when you have up to $15,000 in your account. Amounts over $15,000 will earn 0.50% APY. The APY for this tier will range from 4.50% to 0.50%. If requirements are not met you will earn 0.25% APY. We will pay interest earned by your account at the end of each monthly billing cycle. *APY is Annual Percentage Yield
You can get 4.25% on a MM account for up to $75k. Frankly there are a lot of places like that though, I have that now w/ UFB Direct on multiple savings accounts

Note form the site:
  1. Earn 4.50% APY when you have up to $15,000 in your account. Amounts over $15,000 will earn 0.50% APY. The APY for this tier will range from 4.50% to 0.50%. If requirements are not met you will earn 0.25% APY. We will pay interest earned by your account at the end of each monthly billing cycle. *APY is Annual Percentage Yield
You can get 4.25% on a MM account for up to $75k. Frankly there are a lot of places like that though, I have that now w/ UFB Direct on multiple savings accounts
Also 2 accounts per person, so you could do $30k, and your spouse could do $30k. Also requires 10 transactions per month on their Mastercard.

Also 2 accounts per person, so you could do $30k, and your spouse could do $30k. Also requires 10 transactions per month on their Mastercard.
or just get 5% here w/ no restrictions

Just be prepared for no customer service

Do you have an account with them? 4.5% APY is interesting.

or just get 5% here w/ no restrictions

Just be prepared for no customer service

I just opened an account with Synchrony. 4% on savings (variable, its gone up over the past few weeks while I was watching and deciding) and they have a 5% 14 month CD right now.

No the people who the bankers were serving don’t have any skin in the game. The FDIC went above and beyond and reimbursed them. They will not and cannot go after the bankers with vigor
Exactly and I don't understand or know the whole run down. But just like bailouts for auto groups bad management and bad investments are not the governments responsibility.

He misses more than that. I didn't see anywhere that he allowed for corner weight ( and weight in general) and it's effect on the roll axis and roll moment.
He also discusses height in mm and is actually talking about 2.5" ride height. How many of us have that?
But the big tell is when he starts talking about anti-roll bars ...... which negate much of the difference between solid and independent suspensions.
I don't know that he realizes how much difference the shock travel and ride height make in suspension designs ...... especially when his total shock travel is3.4" or less.
I have right around 8" on my Samurai front end.

I think he's only considering the "Because I said so" explanation.

Many questions..... who would go fishing with 30mph winds?? it was cold, the boat flipped over, overloaded? lost power? no plug? no lifejackets? I'd like to hear more news about this and who was on the boat.

Last edited:

Um....

"While other parts of Senate Bill 41 have laudable objectives – such as a campaign to distribute gun safety locks and stress the importance of safe and secure storage of firearms – the case can’t be made for the main objectives of the bill."....don't we distribute condoms to 'prevent' teen pregnancy and STDs? More gun locks sure won't hurt.

"Current state statutes don’t prevent law-abiding citizens from owning handguns. They do, however, rightly help make sure guns aren’t in the hands of those who are (among other reasons): convicted felons; under indictment for felonies, fugitives from justice, adjudicated as mentally incompetent; illegal aliens; dishonorably discharged from the armed services; renounced their American citizenship."........um, WRAL might want to look back at all the stories they have reported on about convicted felons committing more crimes with a gun. And ask the tough questions.

I can dream.

Um....

"While other parts of Senate Bill 41 have laudable objectives – such as a campaign to distribute gun safety locks and stress the importance of safe and secure storage of firearms – the case can’t be made for the main objectives of the bill."....don't we distribute condoms to 'prevent' teen pregnancy and STDs? More gun locks sure won't hurt.

"Current state statutes don’t prevent law-abiding citizens from owning handguns. They do, however, rightly help make sure guns aren’t in the hands of those who are (among other reasons): convicted felons; under indictment for felonies, fugitives from justice, adjudicated as mentally incompetent; illegal aliens; dishonorably discharged from the armed services; renounced their American citizenship."........um, WRAL might want to look back at all the stories they have reported on about convicted felons committing more crimes with a gun. And ask the tough questions.

I can dream.
In case anyone else is wondering, heres the actual text of the bill (https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2023/Bills/Senate/PDF/S41v3.pdf):
GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA SESSION 2023 SENATE BILL 41 RATIFIED BILL *S41-v-3* AN ACT TO AUTHORIZE CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HOLDERS TO CARRY FIREARMS ON CERTAIN SCHOOL PROPERTY AT CERTAIN TIMES AND TO AUTHORIZE CONCEALED CARRY FOR CERTAIN LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITY EMPLOYEES, TO REPEAL PISTOL PURCHASE PERMITS, AND TO LAUNCH A STATEWIDE FIREARM SAFE STORAGE AWARENESS INITIATIVE TO EDUCATE THE PUBLIC ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SAFE STORAGE OF FIREARMS AND TO FACILITATE THE DISTRIBUTION OF GUN LOCKS. The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts: PART I. PROTECT RELIGIOUS MEETING PLACES SECTION 1.(a) G.S. 14-269.2(a) is amended by adding a new subdivision to read: "(1c) School operating hours. – Any time when any of the following occur: a. The premises are being used for curricular or extracurricular activities. b. The premises are being used for educational, instructional, or school-sponsored activities. c. The premises are being used for programs for minors by entities not affiliated with the religious institution." SECTION 1.(b) G.S. 14-269.2 is amended by adding a new subsection to read: "(k1) For the purposes of this subsection, property owned by a local board of education or county commission shall not be construed as a building that is a place of religious worship as defined in G.S. 14-54.1. The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who has a concealed handgun permit that is valid under Article 54B of this Chapter, or who is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to that Article, if all of the following conditions apply: (1) The person possesses and carries a handgun on educational property other than an institution of higher education as defined by G.S. 116-143.1 or a nonpublic, postsecondary educational institution. (2) The educational property is the location of both a school and a building that is a place of religious worship as defined in G.S. 14-54.1. (3) The weapon is a handgun. (4) The handgun is only possessed and carried on educational property outside of the school operating hours. (5) The person or persons in legal possession or control of the premises have not posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)." SECTION 1.(c) G.S. 14-415.11(c) reads as rewritten: "(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following: (1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.2, 14-269.3, and 14-277.2.except as allowed under G.S. 14-269.2(k1). (1a) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.3 and G.S. 14-277.2. …." Page 2 Senate Bill 41-Ratified SECTION 1.(d) G.S. 14-415.27 reads as rewritten: "§ 14-415.27. Expanded permit scope for certain persons. Notwithstanding G.S. 14-415.11(c), any of the following persons who has a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Article or that is considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24 is not subject to the area prohibitions set out in G.S. 14-415.11(c) and may carry a concealed handgun in the areas listed in G.S. 14-415.11(c) unless otherwise prohibited by federal law: … (10) For only a law enforcement facility covered under G.S. 14-415.11(c)(5), a person employed by a law enforcement agency who (i) is not a law enforcement officer sworn and certified pursuant to Article 1 of Chapter 17C or 17E of the General Statutes, (ii) has been designated in writing by the head of the law enforcement agency in charge of the facility, (iii) has in the person's possession written proof of the designation, and (iv) has not had the designation rescinded by the head of the law enforcement agency in charge of the facility. Nothing in this subdivision shall be construed as prohibiting the head of the law enforcement agency in charge of a facility from rescinding any written designation described in this subdivision." SECTION 1.(e) Subsection (d) of this section becomes effective July 1, 2023, and applies to offenses committed on or after that date. The remainder of this section becomes effective December 1, 2023. PART II. REPEAL PISTOL PURCHASE PERMITS SECTION 2.(a) G.S. 14-402 through G.S. 14-405 and G.S. 14-407.1 are repealed. SECTION 2.(b) G.S. 14-315(b1)(1) is repealed. SECTION 2.(c) G.S. 122C-54(d2) is repealed. SECTION 2.(d) Prosecutions for offenses committed before the effective date of this section are not abated or affected by this section, and the statutes that would be applicable but for this section remain applicable to those prosecutions. SECTION 2.(e) This section is effective when it becomes law and applies to pistols sold, given away, transferred, purchased, or received on or after that date. PART III. FIREARM SAFE STORAGE AWARENESS INITIATIVE SECTION 3.(a) Firearm Safe Storage Awareness Initiative. – The Department of Public Safety (Department), in collaboration with the Department of Health and Human Services and the Wildlife Resources Commission (Commission), shall launch a two-year statewide firearm safe storage awareness initiative to educate the public about the importance of the safe storage of firearms and to facilitate the distribution of gun locks. The initiative required under this section shall include the development of (i) the website and toolkit required under subsection (b) of this section and (ii) the outreach process required under subsection (c) of this section. SECTION 3.(b) Development of Website and Toolkit. – The Department shall develop a website to provide information to the public about (i) the importance of the safe storage of a firearm, especially with respect to access by children and youth, (ii) methods for safely storing a firearm, (iii) contact information for obtaining free gun locks, if available, (iv) information on State laws related to the safe storage of firearms, (v) links to webpages for various resources related to firearm safety such as resources addressing domestic violence, hunter education, and suicide prevention, and (vi) access to a toolkit of information that local communities may use to launch firearm safe storage initiatives at the local level. The toolkit shall provide materials and resources that may be tailored to a community's needs and used for launching local education and awareness campaigns, events, and local groups focused on firearm safe storage and the distribution of free or discounted gun locks. The website and toolkit required under this section shall be developed by July 1, 2024. Senate Bill 41-Ratified Page 3 SECTION 3.(c) Development of State-Coordinated Outreach. – Upon development of the website and toolkit required under subsection (b) of this section, the Department shall develop and implement an outreach process for disseminating the information and toolkit described in subsection (b) of this section to the public and to local communities, as well as the provision of technical assistance to local communities to assist them in utilizing the toolkit to launch local initiatives. SECTION 3.(d) Use of Third-Party Entity. – The Department may contract with a third-party entity with relevant expertise related to public health and injury prevention to launch the firearm safe storage awareness initiative required under subsection (a) of this section. SECTION 3.(e) Prohibition on Advocacy. – The firearm safe storage awareness initiative required under subsection (a) of this section and any State funds used to launch and maintain the initiative shall not be used to advocate, promote, or lobby for the creation of new or the revision of existing laws regulating firearms. The firearm safe storage awareness initiative and any State funds used to launch or maintain the initiative shall only be used for the purposes set forth in subsections (b) through (d) of this section and only to explain and promote existing laws regulating firearms and best practices for firearm storage and safety. SECTION 3.(f) Report. – The Department of Public Safety, in collaboration with the Department of Health and Human Services and the Wildlife Resources Commission, shall submit a report to the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Health and Human Services detailing the progress in meeting the requirements set forth in subsection (a) of this section. The report required under this subsection shall be submitted by September 1, 2024. SECTION 3.(g) This section becomes effective July 1, 2023. PART IV. EFFECTIVE DATE SECTION 4. Except as otherwise provided, this act is effective when it becomes law. In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 16th day of March, 2023. s/ Phil Berger President Pro Tempore of the Senate s/ Tim Moore Speaker of the House of Representatives _____________________________________ Roy Cooper Governor Approved __________.m. this ______________ day of ___________________, 2023

Typically I'd say it's just an opinion piece, but since they went so far as to put this on there:
1679418902403.png

Then I'd say it makes it the official opinion of all of the following:
1679418969879.png

I don't really understand the point of @benXJ nor the WRAL article, but based on the article, I'll be trying to find these:
1679419140825.png

Dodge: We're killing the hellcat V-8s.

SRT: Well fine then, we'll make the last one have 1025 hp and break your neck when it launches from 0-60 in 1.66 seconds on its way to a 8.91 second quarter mile......

Duane

Back