Lots of interesting news today

:mad:
I wouldn’t be mad at the dude who hit them until the facts shake out. Seems like there’s a good chance he hydroplaned on the same water that caused the first car to wreck and it sent him to the same spot. And now 4 separate families have their lives all shook up.

I wouldn’t be mad at the dude who hit them until the facts shake out. Seems like there’s a good chance he hydroplaned on the same water that caused the first car to wreck and it sent him to the same spot. And now 4 separate families have their lives all shook up.
This^^ the no license thing is where they will hang him along with his last name and, unless there is “background” it’s a non starter.

This^^ the no license thing is where they will hang him along with his last name and, unless there is “background” it’s a non starter.
Note the wording. He wasn't even charged with driving without a license... He just didn't have it on his body.
He wasn't charged with "speeding" either. They used the catch-all "exceeding safe speed" which just means a subjective judgement for the situation and dosn't even carry points, and was probably necessary for the vehicular homicide charge.. I'm sure its bc they felt pressured to have some kind of charge to make the families feel better but seems very likely to be dropped.

Of course we don't know sh$t but it sounds like a case of random bad luck for a bunch of people.

Note the wording. He wasn't even charged with driving without a license... He just didn't have it on his body.
He wasn't charged with "speeding" either. They used the catch-all "exceeding safe speed" which just means a subjective judgement for the situation and dosn't even carry points, and was probably necessary for the vehicular homicide charge.. I'm sure its bc they felt pressured to have some kind of charge to make the families feel better but seems very likely to be dropped.

Of course we don't know sh$t but it sounds like a case of random bad luck for a bunch of people.

Or a case of the government charging a scapegoat so they can avoid scrutiny of poor and unsafe drainage systems on a stretch of road?

Or a case of the government charging a scapegoat so they can avoid scrutiny of poor and unsafe drainage systems on a stretch of road?
yes of course.

in 2010 we were on I-81 in WV a bit this side outside Morgonton. It had been raining buckets. Wife driving, right lane at a reasonable speed, we came around a corner at the bottom of a hill, hiit 2" of water and hydroplaned. Spun around, hit the jersey wall, landed facing the opposite way. Got really lucky nobody hit us.
While getting a ride into town from a local LEO to figure out WTF to do, he said, "Yeah, every time we get a hard rain somebody hydroplanes there. Keeps Jonroy (local tow) busy for years."
I asked him, why the fuck don't they fix the road?
"Its an interstate highway. Fixing it properly requires regrading. Not the local people's jurisdiction and the state / feds don't care. I just tell people to avoid that lane when it rains."

Gee..... thanks.

yes of course.

in 2010 we were on I-81 in WV a bit this side outside Morgonton. It had been raining buckets. Wife driving, right lane at a reasonable speed, we came around a corner at the bottom of a hill, hiit 2" of water and hydroplaned. Spun around, hit the jersey wall, landed facing the opposite way. Got really lucky nobody hit us.
While getting a ride into town from a local LEO to figure out WTF to do, he said, "Yeah, every time we get a hard rain somebody hydroplanes there. Keeps Jonroy (local tow) busy for years."
I asked him, why the fuck don't they fix the road?
"Its an interstate highway. Fixing it properly requires regrading. Not the local people's jurisdiction and the state / feds don't care. I just tell people to avoid that lane when it rains."

Gee..... thanks.
Que Ben Jeep guy to tell us it’s our fault cause we voted for that…..

Que Ben Jeep guy to tell us it’s our fault cause we voted for that…..
1702952301616.jpeg

Before the vote, the city reviewed how effective the trial had been. Between December 15, 2022, and December 15, 2023, more than 5,000 shots were detected in a three-mile radius of the city. Twenty-one guns were recovered, and 22 arrests were made.
The Durham County Fraternal Order of Police issued a statement in support of ShotSpotter, saying, "We want to express our support for the technology, which has proven effective in enhancing public safety."

This guy just doesn't understand math.
So in 1 year the system picked up an average of 14 "shots" every single day. Either this is one dangerous as hell city or the system has a really high false positive rate, which of course will drive up arrests and seizures, just by luck.

I'll design you a system that identifies 20,000 gunshots and get you even more recoveries and arrests. Lets just not talk about the fact it also makes you do 10x as much unnecessary work and pisses off a lot more people.

This guy just doesn't understand math.
So in 1 year the system picked up an average of 14 "shots" every single day. Either this is one dangerous as hell city or the system has a really high false positive rate, which of course will drive up arrests and seizures, just by luck.

I'll design you a system that identifies 20,000 gunshots and get you even more recoveries and arrests. Lets just not talk about the fact it also makes you do 10x as much unnecessary work and pisses off a lot more people.
Me thinks you do not understand how many gunshots go off daily in the city of Durham. I would not be surprised if someone told me there were more gunshots per day than 14

Back