Lots of interesting news today

Our ISO evaluation is coming up. 5 years ago, our department went from a 9 (worst rating/not rated) to a 6. Dropped insurance rates substantially. Now the insurance companies are raising them higher than before!!!
Kinda like the power company wanting you to conserve power…. Then charge you more for what you use.

Kinda like the power company wanting you to conserve power…. Then charge you more for what you use.
yeah I love how this works. What a lot of people don't talk about is that a large part of the cost of distributed power is a fixed cost. Labor, distrobution, infrastructure, etc. It doesn't all scale with the consumption rate. So if everyone were to consume less, they would have to raise the per kwh rate to stay afloat. Even if the source were magically free there is a floor to what teh consumer will need to pay.

Our ISO evaluation is coming up. 5 years ago, our department went from a 9 (worst rating/not rated) to a 6. Dropped insurance rates substantially. Now the insurance companies are raising them higher than before!!!

This is funny because in the manufacturing and machining industry there are also (yearly) "ISO" audits that are even more involved equally as pain in the ass but completely different.

This is funny because in the manufacturing and machining industry there are also (yearly) "ISO" audits that are even more involved equally as pain in the ass but completely different.
Interesting indeed. Ours involves a complete scene setup and flowing x amount of water in y time with z manpower based on your district and response numbers. As well as a thorough review of your calls, training records, truck records, water sources, and a crap loaf of other headaches.

Last time was our first time actually going through the process to improve our rating and it was definitely a learning curve as to what they look for and ways to improve.

We are also getting ready for the ISO audit. The number one thing we got dinged on last time was water sources. We spent a lot of time securing more sources this year with the improvements to make them acceptable to the ISO.

Just curious, what is ISO in firemanworld?

Well, in engineering/manufacturing world it is International Standardization Organization (actually International Organization for Standardization, but thats retarded because it doesn't acronym out to "ISO" in 'Merican)

Just curious, what is ISO in firemanworld?

I think it's Insurance Service Office or something similar. An ISO inspection is through the Office of State Fire Marshal, which is a division of the Department of Insurance. It determines a rating 1-10 of how well a fire agency can respond to and mitigate a fire in its insurance district. 1 is the best, 10 is technically the worst, which is no fire coverage. The lower the department's score, the better the property insurance rates are in the district.

Duane

Just curious, what do you consider a poor score?

Duane
Any score that can be improved…. It has a direct correlation with home owners insurance. If the departments are not actively maintaining or improving their score they have a fiduciary responsibility to change leadership.

Any score that can be improved…. It has a direct correlation with home owners insurance. If the departments are not actively maintaining or improving their score they have a fiduciary responsibility to change leadership.
Read Higher Insurance premium's if local department cant score......also read higher local taxes for department funding or lots of fund raisers. Many fire service industry folks have people on hand to "aid" by training or more important to them equip departments and get grants, budgets and the general spending of dollars in line.

The bottom line is another institution feeding insurance and private sector funds via tax grabs and supplements that citizens fund in some form or fashion. You know in the name of safety and service to community.

Departments get shinny toys, training, housing, and a lot of over the top spending that in "select" communities would make an honest politician blush. :D:mad::(

I say if you know the site "They" fired from, Return Fire. I bet that stops it! Same with the boats coming after the shipping vessels. Blow them out of the water! It sends a message!
They surely know the launch locations for all of these rockets, drones, and boats, but are choosing to just play defense right now. If they can keep the shipping lanes safe by just shooting everything down, then it probably makes sense to not go on the offense. We don't need another war. I've read that some shipping companies have rerouted ships though, which is a major delay and cost penalty.

I say if you know the site "They" fired from, Return Fire. I bet that stops it! Same with the boats coming after the shipping vessels. Blow them out of the water! It sends a message!
thats how you end up in a war.

Looks like neuroscience is a losing industry compared to other opportunities. I guess you screwed up @RatLabGuy.

In other news, water makes things wet.

Paywall so can't read it but it's easy to guess the story.
The difference is of course that PhD (or any R&D degree) will provide more of a guarantee of a lifelong career income. Hope she invests that $$$ well bc there's no way it will last and finding a "real job" afterwards won't be trivial.

IOW, don't be a dummy. Get your educashun first, THEN take your closes off for money.

Back