Lots of interesting news today

also wtf is a charge of "failure to reduce speed'? What crime is that, besides just anotehr random thing to tack on to ensure something-or-other sticks
@Tom@Hilltop_Machine help me out here.... (I've been charged with it enough to "know" :shaking:) if you have 2 (might be 3) or more moving violations at the same time they can hit you with "reckless driving" and it allows them to nail you with more points on your license/insurance. So any fuckery type charge they can tag onto a legit charge gets them to that level.

This of course only works for that demographic that are stupid enough to even have insurance in the first place. If you're a deadbeat with no insurance, driving someone else's car that's not registered you have nothing to worry about. You'll never be held accountable for your actions and won't pay a dime

@Tom@Hilltop_Machine help me out here.... (I've been charged with it enough to "know" :shaking:) if you have 2 (might be 3) or more moving violations at the same time they can hit you with "reckless driving" and it allows them to nail you with more points on your license/insurance. So any fuckery type charge they can tag onto a legit charge gets them to that level.

This of course only works for that demographic that are stupid enough to even have insurance in the first place. If you're a deadbeat with no insurance, driving someone else's car that's not registered you have nothing to worry about. You'll never be held accountable for your actions and won't pay a dime
I think you are referring to aggravating factors within the careless and wreckless charge clause. Which depends if the other infractions are listed. Many time it’s the same factors to make up one charge and they still charge them separately…. Been there a time or two as well lol 😆

Been there a time or two as well lol 😆
Thankfully officer Clarence Moody of the NCSHP retired several years ago. That MF use to stalk me

for good reason too...a 16yr old driving a CJ with a 304 and 3 speed was a turrible idea :smokin:

Observe a pending problem and not react to it. ?? every dash cam video has a driver cruising along while to road in front of them catches fire then they wonder why the got involved.
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment and drive accordingly. But if people slowed down to a "safe speed" everytime there was someone on the sidewalk by the road, traffic would come to a walking pace in every city and town in the US. This is why there is a huge distinction between hitting a child on the sidewalk, and hitting a child who jumps/runs out in front of you. And in this case (at least based on the news articles), the facts are unclear.

Usually Reckless driving incorporates all of the stuff. So say you are speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, following too closely, etc. Then easier just to charge the Reckless charge than charge all the ones.
Now in the above case the ADA could have authorized all the extra charges.

Usually Reckless driving incorporates all of the stuff. So say you are speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, following too closely, etc. Then easier just to charge the Reckless charge than charge all the ones.
Now in the above case the ADA could have authorized all the extra charges.
How then do you justify the overlap in charge? Seems like double jeopardy. Being charged twice for the same activity.
I guess this is more of a general question than just this case, and something that has always bothered me.
My impression is that with criminal offenses that incur jail time this is how people end up with concurrent penalties and not consecutive.

How then do you justify the overlap in charge? Seems like double jeopardy. Being charged twice for the same activity.
It would depend on all the circumstances involved. Let's say you ran 2 red lights, made 3 improper lane changes, and were doing 80mph in a 65mph zone for 5 miles. Maybe one of those red lights you ran caused a wreck, and one of the lane changes caused a vehicle to run off the road and crash. So you get a ticket for the serious of the two violations (red light and lane change) and the other violations are wrapped up under reckless driving. So technically you are not getting charged for the same thing.

It would depend on all the circumstances involved. Let's say you ran 2 red lights, made 3 improper lane changes, and were doing 80mph in a 65mph zone for 5 miles. Maybe one of those red lights you ran caused a wreck, and one of the lane changes caused a vehicle to run off the road and crash. So you get a ticket for the serious of the two violations (red light and lane change) and the other violations are wrapped up under reckless driving. So technically you are not getting charged for the same thing.
That's sensible.
But in this case (based on what little we know) it sounds like it was the single act of possibly driving too fast and not slowing down when a little girl ran out in the road. The act of not stopping and speeding may be separate, but reckless driving seem like the same thing as one or both of them. Article lists all of them
Its splitting hairs over something we don't know shit about, so certainly a a complete waste of time.

That's sensible.
But in this case (based on what little we know) it sounds like it was the single act of possibly driving too fast and not slowing down when a little girl ran out in the road. The act of not stopping and speeding may be separate, but reckless driving seem like the same thing as one or both of them. Article lists all of them
Its splitting hairs over something we don't know shit about, so certainly a a complete waste of time.
The guy being an asshat aside... As far as we know, he was looking left to change lanes when the girl ran from the right. He heard a noise, and slowed to a stop. Essentially, The only thing he did wrong was speed.

I think they give as many charges as possible because they know a lawyer can knock 1, 2, or 3 out of the way, so they have charge #4 sticking with hopes of a crap lawyer not getting the first few dismissed.

TIL: If you’re gonna get in a fight on school property, make sure to leave the STOLEN gun at home.

Am I the only one who keeps reading Houthis as ‘Hootus’? :laughing:
I hear it in my head like "who Dez?" Like a female rapper asking about me and my homies when we arrive at "da club" 🤣

Hou-this
Who this?

Why am I not shocked on so many levels?
It’s a dump on charge for people who are already engaged in crime anyway. So that alone is going to reduce the number of gun related crimes because you’ve removed one of the most prevalent gun crime charges. And hell, I’ll say it, illegal concealed carry is a victimless crime. :D

Stupid headlines like this one are why no one trusts the news any more. "Partially submerged" should at least mean over the floorboard.

Our ISO evaluation is coming up. 5 years ago, our department went from a 9 (worst rating/not rated) to a 6. Dropped insurance rates substantially. Now the insurance companies are raising them higher than before!!!

Back