Lots of interesting news today

Huh. TIL that until last year, Cap'n Crunch wasn't really a Captain.

Im wondering what it has to do with his profession…
I’m sure he’s not the first teacher to get a series of traffic offenses. He’s a math teacher, not drivers ed.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
“McDougald admits he was speeding but says he just didn’t notice the trooper behind him, and insists he never drove 150 miles an hour.”

I’d believe it. Some people just drive like this all the time. Pretty sure it’s a Mopar and Nissan thing.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
“McDougald admits he was speeding but says he just didn’t notice the trooper behind him, and insists he never drove 150 miles an hour.”

I’d believe it. Some people just drive like this all the time. Pretty sure it’s a Mopar and Nissan thing.
I mean my first guess would be a Altima but the 150 makes it a charger for sure.

I mean my first guess would be a Altima but the 150 makes it a charger for sure.
I dont know some of those V6 maximas are pretty quick

It does beg the question - what kind of car was he driving?
Bc a whole lot can't even hit 150

Although, maybe I'm wrong, but once you're over 90 does it even
1707307994081.png

I'd say I was talking about the minimum life of a fossil fuel power plant and I think you are extremely optimistic to think you'll get 50 years from solar panels. I think about half that is more like it.

How long would it take for solar to breakeven, assuming there were no issues and no maintenance?

Here's a snapshot of my power bill for the past year. 100% electric, no gas, 4 people in a 2500sqft+1500sqft basement house.
View attachment 411685

Average of about $115/month. $20k breakeven is 14.5 years. Will I even be in this house in 15 years? Whats the life expectancy of the batteries in the solar energy system? How much maintenance is required? Etc.

I'm not anti-solar either, I just don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. I seriously considered it 5 years ago when we built our house, and the math didn't make sense.
Maybe 5 years ago my house needed a roof. I had guy come out and try to sell me on solar panels. His math didn’t math good enough for me. Seemed like unless your power bill was 400+ per month then the panels were not going to save you any money. This was a no battery bank system so basically you were just generating power for the grid and getting paid next to nothing for it.
They were trying to sell them on a 10 year payment plan (I think) and it 10 years they’ll just be obsolete junk on your roof.

Maybe 5 years ago my house needed a roof. I had guy come out and try to sell me on solar panels. His math didn’t math good enough for me. Seemed like unless your power bill was 400+ per month then the panels were not going to save you any money. This was a no battery bank system so basically you were just generating power for the grid and getting paid next to nothing for it.
They were trying to sell them on a 10 year payment plan (I think) and it 10 years they’ll just be obsolete junk on your roof.
Yeah I tried it too. My light bill is up to $150 maybe 2 months a year. Like most folks, I don't really consume much power during peak generating times. Because I'm on a co-op, state law says they only have to pay wholesale rate for power they buy from you. The math didn't math.

I priced a rather large system for work and it came a lot closer to working because I pull lots of power during the day. It was still too much headache to be worth the effort though. If everything worked out like the company said, I might save $20,000 over 20yrs. Not really worth it. Rather than wasting good farmland on solar, the concentration should be on getting panels on the roofs of big consumers affordably. Id be fine if the power company put their panels on my buildings and gave me a nominal discount on my power bill. Id sign up today if they'd knock off my demand charges 😂

Around here all the extended payment plans come with a monthly fee / interest that basically elinimate any savings.

I have several neighbors that have gotten the "rented space on your roof" deals where the energy company installs them, they feed back into the grid, they get the $$ and pay you a %. The big hickup is if you need any roof repair and the parenls have to be removed to replaced that cost is on you.
Honestly though it isn't a terrible deal though. If you have a new roof and no treese likely to cause problems (which makes you a better candidate anyway) then it IS relatively free money. Its just not very much.

uuuhhhh what?
For those who don't want to give Fox their info just to get their particular spin;

I love the way Eddins, (One of Hawaii's High court members), Says the constitution is out dated and shouldn't apply, then goes on to defend the court's ruling by saying the "Kingdom of Hawaii " had long standing weapons restrictions dating back to the early 1800's

Back