Lots of interesting news today

All the really juicy stuff always comes back to Russia or Chi-Na. Either they made it up, or they didn't and are involved.

one bus rider says 'we don't need no armed sercurity' and WRAL takes the time to write and post an entire news article.

no one has complained to the security management.

WRAL bending over backwards to paint police/security/guns in a negative light

one bus rider says 'we don't need no armed sercurity' and WRAL takes the time to write and post an entire news article.

no one has complained to the security management.

WRAL bending over backwards to paint police/security/guns in a negative light
And this surprises you how?

att.jpg

I'm curious to se ehow this shakes out in the long run,
While free medical school tuition sound great a notion and a nod towards widening acesss to everyone, it also means that applications are about to go through the roof and the triage rate will increase dramatically - only making it more difficult to get in in the first place, as now not only is the barrier to entry removed but so is the personal risk.

IMO it would be interesting to make it a free loan to all students that is repaid upon graduation or after X years of local service.

I'm curious to se ehow this shakes out in the long run,
While free medical school tuition sound great a notion and a nod towards widening acesss to everyone, it also means that applications are about to go through the roof and the triage rate will increase dramatically - only making it more difficult to get in in the first place, as now not only is the barrier to entry removed but so is the personal risk.

IMO it would be interesting to make it a free loan to all students that is repaid upon graduation or after X years of local service.

As long as they vet the applicants I really don't see a problem. It's little different than a Scholarship program anywhere. They'll get a greater number of applicants, sure, they might have to hire more folks to vet the apps (Like any scholarship program), But the end result of a larger pool of candidates is generally going to be some higher quality ones among the larger pool.

As long as they vet the applicants I really don't see a problem. It's little different than a Scholarship program anywhere. They'll get a greater number of applicants, sure, they might have to hire more folks to vet the apps (Like any scholarship program), But the end result of a larger pool of candidates is generally going to be some higher quality ones among the larger pool.
yes, as long as the vetting works correctly.
Butt hat also means that getting in will become more competitive for anyone other than the really top applicants. So if the goal is only to raise the quality of the admitted students - then yes, but if the goal is to reach a braoder range of students, especially the local community, then no.
Well, unless they just flat out change the admission priorities and give higher weight to where you are from etc... but these days thats also opening yourself to very sticky legal situations.

yes, as long as the vetting works correctly.
Butt hat also means that getting in will become more competitive for anyone other than the really top applicants. So if the goal is only to raise the quality of the admitted students - then yes, but if the goal is to reach a braoder range of students, especially the local community, then no.
Well, unless they just flat out change the admission priorities and give higher weight to where you are from etc... but these days thats also opening yourself to very sticky legal situations.

That's an advantage they've been afforded by the donation, They can shape the admissions how they want, It' might be there were stipulations attached to the donation saying who may or may not benefit, But it seems like the donor liked the current student body, which has a fair number of local New Yorkers, I personally would hope the school would try to continue that, But that's the School's choice...

I believe it's a private school, they do have to watch some rules for admissions, but I think they're largely free to do what they want as long as it's not blatantly egregious, especially since they needn't kowtow to anyone being finiancially sound

1. Tipping culture is horseshit to begin with
2 . That said, the owner is an asshole

1. Tipping culture is horseshit to begin with
2 . That said, the owner is an asshole
I feel like there is more to the story here.
The server who was terminated several days after the group dined with us was not let go because she chose to keep the tip money. The other two servers who received generous tips that evening from the Witly organization – including one who also received $2,200 – are still members of our team. ”

I feel like there is more to the story here.
The server who was terminated several days after the group dined with us was not let go because she chose to keep the tip money. The other two servers who received generous tips that evening from the Witly organization – including one who also received $2,200 – are still members of our team. ”
Its pretty straightfroward AFAIK (plus I probably gleemed more from the Reddit thread)
They were told they are now sharing tips... despite that never having previously been the actual policy (note this server mentioned 3.5 years work history there). The other server gave in and shared, this person did not.
Note they very careful worded it not to say "including one who 'kept' $2200"

They are claiming she was let go bc she told the Witly org what happened - that they mysteriously changed the policy and it didn't match what they had originally been told. So... yeah she was fired for blowing the whistle on them.

Can any explain the irony of this?

It’s Southwest Airlines. You pay for cheap humor. This is akin to bitching about the quality of your McDonalds burger.
The goal with EC seats has always been to remove as much foam as possible, with the long-term outlook of removing it entirely. Foam is heavy, makes flam certification harder, and makes the seat thicker (so you need more space for the same amount of leg room). If you can eliminate 1/2” of seat back ‘thickness’, you can effectively add another row of seats to the airplane for more ticket revenue.

Also notice that they’ve necked down the arm rests, which actually has a huge impact on felt comfort because it allows them to narrow the seat pan/back by the same amount and claim the same seat width. In reality, you’re that much closer to your neighbors, who were already too close to begin with. They want to narrow ‘PAX’ width, because it cuts down on weight and makes up for the added weight of the extra row(s) at the rear of the plane. It also widens the aisle which speeds up the boarding and de-boarding process, lowering aircraft turn time.

The upper literature pocket PED holders are expensive and heavy (as are the power ports), but this is a direct response to consumer demand and helps take the focus off of how much less comfortable the new seats will be. I haven’t flown SW in a long time, but I would be surprised if they put adjustable head rests on every seat. The first few rows is more typical for lower cost airlines. Two ‘cup holders’ is hardly an upsell, but in their defense, it probably did cost them an extra $20k in tooling. They might as well have just put one in the middle because that tray will be so narrow you ain’t fitting a meal or laptop on it. 🤷‍♂️

The goal with EC seats has always been to remove as much foam as possible, with the long-term outlook of removing it entirely. Foam is heavy, makes flam certification harder, and makes the seat thicker (so you need more space for the same amount of leg room). If you can eliminate 1/2” of seat back ‘thickness’, you can effectively add another row of seats to the airplane for more ticket revenue.

Also notice that they’ve necked down the arm rests, which actually has a huge impact on felt comfort because it allows them to narrow the seat pan/back by the same amount and claim the same seat width. In reality, you’re that much closer to your neighbors, who were already too close to begin with. They want to narrow ‘PAX’ width, because it cuts down on weight and makes up for the added weight of the extra row(s) at the rear of the plane. It also widens the aisle which speeds up the boarding and de-boarding process, lowering aircraft turn time.

The upper literature pocket PED holders are expensive and heavy (as are the power ports), but this is a direct response to consumer demand and helps take the focus off of how much less comfortable the new seats will be. I haven’t flown SW in a long time, but I would be surprised if they put adjustable head rests on every seat. The first few rows is more typical for lower cost airlines. Two ‘cup holders’ is hardly an upsell, but in their defense, it probably did cost them an extra $20k in tooling. They might as well have just put one in the middle because that tray will be so narrow you ain’t fitting a meal or laptop on it. 🤷‍♂️
Wth do you know about airplane seats anyway? :laughing:

I guess this thread is as good as any. At least it’s interesting news to me.

I’m stepping away from running a LEGO model facility, and starting a new position within Merlin Entertainments. Going forward, I’m moving into a Global Commercial/Customer Care position. I’ll b looking at 5 year plans for LEGO model content in all 35+ attractions globally and making sure they are all up to date.

Kinda kewl.

Back