Lumber prices and alternatives

2400 sqft with enough room to turn around. Plus room for the pups to run around.
Guess I'll need an auger attachment for the skid steer.
See, it all works out
It'd a slippery slope. Skidsteer is the cheap part.

Update.
Dimensional is leveling off, with 2x4 through 2x8 dropping maybe 2-3%. 2x12 is still high as a giraffe's ass.
Panels went up another $2 sheet this week. OSB is now over $40 sheet, WHOLESALE!
OSB is higher, my cost, than what we used to sell AC grade 3/4 FRT for a year ago.
Some 2x4 high grade studs are over 1600/m right now.

Update.
Dimensional is leveling off, with 2x4 through 2x8 dropping maybe 2-3%. 2x12 is still high as a giraffe's ass.
Panels went up another $2 sheet this week. OSB is now over $40 sheet, WHOLESALE!
OSB is higher, my cost, than what we used to sell AC grade 3/4 FRT for a year ago.
Some 2x4 high grade studs are over 1600/m right now.

So the real question is, do you see it falling in the future or is it like everything else and leveled off is the new base going forward?

So the real question is, do you see it falling in the future or is it like everything else and leveled off is the new base going forward?
i see it dropping in 1.5-2 years. there is still alot of materials that are still being made on limited quantities. example glue/resin used in TJIs and some sheet goods, plants slowed or shut down during covid... then got flooded. once everyone starts getting some back stock i think prices will drop some but not all the way back down.

I don't see panels dropping this year. Maybe they'll stabilize, but that's it.
Dimensional lumber will drop maybe 10-15 percent as it can be manufactured much quicker than plywood.
As long as supply can't keep up with demand, this will continue to be normal.

So what's going on with steel? I know the tariffs pushed the price up on imports, and I understand there's a national supply shortage - not sure if thats due to decreased imports or some reason why domestic production has dropped...?

lumber.jpg

1/2" copper is damn near $2 a foot.

That's stupid...if you didn't know
Yeah copper is dumb right now.

We are getting 48 hour pricing on large alternators. I have a job waiting on an owner decision that has 8 gens on it. Each alternator has 6,900 lbs of copper.
That's 25tons of copper.
Price dynamics have caused pricing to fluctuate over 80,000 between bid day and potential award.

We can't keep it in stock. I got a full TT load yesterday at 1 pm.
845 today and there are 11 pieces of 6x6x8 PT remaining in stock that aren't spoken for...
Judging from the pictures you post are a lot of your customers commercial contractors?

Judging from the pictures you post are a lot of your customers commercial contractors?
99.99999% commercial. Literally.
Too hard to get paid on residential, too easy to get taken on residential and also, no need for boom or moffet trucks with commercial. Pull up, wait for the Lull or tower crane, offload, sign ticket, roll on.

The lot next to us has been cleared and graded since September of last year. Pretty sure I'm going to be starting at an empty lot for a long while until lumber prices go back down.

3/4" maple plywood used to be $50 a sheet....now its up around $80. Same with 1/2", went from $30 to $50.

Bad time to start a part time woodworking company for sure :lol:

If and when you can get materials....are people still paying the price?
Is there a point where people just change their minds about building?
residential isnt going to slow down unless cost climbs higher than the interest rates can offset.

that said im assuming a development that we are 1/2 through is going to stop until lumber goes down, or housing prices climb even higher. he has already set pricing for the whole development otherwise i think he'd just continue to increase the cost and pass it to the buyers.

Very much this.
What you WILL see....are all those signs at the entrance to new neighborhoods that now say "From the $350's" painted over and "From the $450's" replacing it

Back