Lumber prices and alternatives

Sounds like the makings of a bitchin pinterest page....
Hell no, I'm keepin this brilliance to ma-self until I done made it rich

On a semi related note, I find it entertaining that the price of Dricore OSB tiles has still barely changed.
By the sq ft its half the cost of a 4x8 sheet. I was seriously thinking of making my shed floor out of those before going real classy and using pallet wood ;-)

On a semi related note, I find it entertaining that the price of Dricore OSB tiles has still barely changed.
By the sq ft its half the cost of a 4x8 sheet. I was seriously thinking of making my shed floor out of those before going real classy and using pallet wood ;-)

The interesting thing is it seems even pallets must be getting harder to source. In the past you would drive around town and see "free pallet' signs at many plants, but now you dont. My guess is they are reusing the ones they can, or the pallet companies are taking them back to refurb.

The interesting thing is it seems even pallets must be getting harder to source. In the past you would drive around town and see "free pallet' signs at many plants, but now you dont. My guess is they are reusing the ones they can, or the pallet companies are taking them back to refurb.
Yup. B grade 48 x 40 pallets with good or repaired stringers and complete boards top and bottom are $5 apiece or more now from the little guys. Even more from actual pallet companies.

Interesting, up here there are stil la ton of CL "Free, come get them" ads. But who knows, maybe those are just not being taken down.
They are still just getting piled up then thrown away at the base. But that may also be a .gov thing w/ not having an official way to resell them...

Just quoted a full stock order of CDX untreated plywood. It is not over 4x what it was 1 year ago.
Also got a freight rate from Columbia SC to my yard In Fletcher NC- 140 miles for......$1400!

Just quoted a full stock order of CDX untreated plywood. It is not over 4x what it was 1 year ago.
Also got a freight rate from Columbia SC to my yard In Fletcher NC- 140 miles for......$1400!
Don't yall have trucks? At what point do you just pick it up yourself? (even if you have to buy another truck) ((I know, see thread about shitty employees)) (((This is why we need less government)))

Don't yall have trucks? At what point do you just pick it up yourself? (even if you have to buy another truck) ((I know, see thread about shitty employees)) (((This is why we need less government)))
That's my backup plan. I do have a truck capable of making the pick up. But that means less deliveries going out too.
By the time I factor in the +/- of each, paying a couple extra hundo for the material to be drop shipped makes sense.

Trusses were delivered to a site up the road from my house last month. They started footings for the home a few days later. Appeared to be a crawlspace home by what I can tell of the stepped footings and relative FFE compared to existing. Last week 12 loads of sandrock appeared next to the foundation....then a roller. The next day the entire footprint was being covered and rolled in 12" lifts. Looks like they decided to go from crawlspace to slab.

Gotta wonder the over/under on that choice

Found a dude w/ a whole ton of 4x8 oak pallets in very good condition, only asking $15 each... we're going to take all of them for construction later, lol.

Buddy of mine tried to buy a house/lot in a Myrtle beach neighborhood that’s still in the development stages. It’s on 17 bypass near market commons if you know the area. This was about a week ago. The guy he met with said he can’t sell anymore houses. Due to lumber cost and supply issues they’re 75 houses behind.

Talked to a guy from GA this week that was a commercial chicken farmer. Dude got a bid on two new chicken houses last Nov, said it was gonna be 100k more to have em built now.

Yellow pine gold! Some kind of market we are in right now..... Headed to the treaters tomorrow for this project. Crazy how expensive and how hard it is to get stuff right now. We deal primarily in treated pine for highway contractors and such. I can't hold a price for longer than a week for folks bidding government jobs that take weeks to award. Tough to be in their shoes for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_134313419_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210429_134313419_HDR.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 113
I guess with high prices, quality has gone the way of the toilet. Had to buy a 4x8 sheet of maple plywood to build a bookcase for some friends. $60 a sheet when they use to be 40ish. Had to pick through the entire stack to find one that wasn't warped, delaminating, or had knots. Found one, brought it home and cut into it. 3 of the 4 pieces for shelves were almost completely delaminated with only a few pieces of glue in the entire area. I filled everything with wood glue and clamped it and let it sit overnight. So far it seems to have worked.

Yes I know I could have returned it but I had already cut up the majority of the sheet and didn't want to deal with the hassle of taking multiple pieces back to the store

I ordered engineered flooring for a small project 3 wks ago and it still hasn't shipped. None in stock and manufacturer is waiting on another order because of the small run and low demand for 2 1/4"x1/2 engineered red oak. Price is $5.80 a sq/ft. Used to be around $3.75

Yellow pine gold! Some kind of market we are in right now..... Headed to the treaters tomorrow for this project. Crazy how expensive and how hard it is to get stuff right now. We deal primarily in treated pine for highway contractors and such. I can't hold a price for longer than a week for folks bidding government jobs that take weeks to award. Tough to be in their shoes for sure!
a couple guys i went to school with that were bidding on state road work jobs have said they are stopping all bidding. Gov. work that involves lumber or unstable products i think will be coming to a standstill soon.

When I'm not pulling orders and loading trucks that my wife is going to deliver for us later this morning (seriously), I will explain my post a bit more in depth.
We ran out of T&G 4'x8' this week . Our supplier has none and does not know when they will get it again. I found some but at double the cost I am hesitant to bring it in.

Back