Lumber prices and alternatives

I haven't heard anything specific, but I was told by FRT lumber mill to "be careful about letting go of too much material too quickly". In other words, raw lumber and plywood are getting REALLY hard to get again.
If I ordered a truckload of 7/16 OSB today, my load would be committed to me APRIL 26th! My cost? Whatever the market is at that time. That's insane.
2x12 is nearly $3 lin/ft wholesale, CDX jumped $3 per sheet over the weekend. There is no end in sight currently.

We haven't even gotten remotely close to busy season either...

Last edited:
I've got a 300 lf temporary wall that gets plywood, end of June, considering buying it now, luckily it only goes up 8 feet and not the full 35 feet high!

Every market is upside down right now. I buy refined edible soy oil in bulk and one of the 3 biggest producers in the country/world is out. Like, isn't taking on new contracts at this time. The price has gone up .30/lb in the past month and is FOB price is double what it was in May. Get ready for all your food products to go up, a lot. They're blaming part of it on crop production delays in south america and on the new biodiesel laws on the west coast. They're buying up all the food grade oil on the market to make biodiesel with. It's insane.

What I'm hearing is.... get ready for major inflation. Between this and the redunculous realty prices going to the moon w/ such sustained demand, plus the gov flooding teh country w/ excess cash I can't see any way the coost of everything isn't gonna shoot up.
That, and I might as well invest my garage money b/c it isn't getting built any time soon.

Here's a pretty good deal if somebody needs some rough-sawn shorts. Cut on a circular mill so usually has some nice saw patterns. Sawmill not far from my place. Sanford/Lee County.

$60 for appx 200bf.

I might as well invest my garage money b/c it isn't getting built any time soon.

There's a case to be made that we're seeing the end of a downward price cycle in commodities and things are going to get more expensive from here.

Meanwhile, the nasdaq and russell need to drop a fair bit more before they return to their historical ranges.

You can look for entries in value stocks or you can spend it, but sitting on cash isn't likely to be a strong play.

Supposed to close on our house next Tuesday and will start building in the coming months. I’m just trying to kick my mind out of gear and think about how nice it’s going to be having 13 acres to do whatever I want to do and not worry about how much its actually going to cost.

sad dumb and dumber GIF

Supposed to close on our house next Tuesday and will start building in the coming months. I’m just trying to kick my mind out of gear and think about how nice it’s going to be having 13 acres to do whatever I want to do and not worry about how much its actually going to cost.

sad dumb and dumber GIF
If your wife is like mine, go ahead and tack on another 20%

Just got an email from both of our paint suppliers suspending any sales or discounts for the next 90 days. They are blaming Texas and the chemical plants going down. Raw materials for paint are hard to come by right now. One of the two suppliers is adding 10% at the end of the month.

Just got an email from both of our paint suppliers suspending any sales or discounts for the next 90 days. They are blaming Texas and the chemical plants going down. Raw materials for paint are hard to come by right now. One of the two suppliers is adding 10% at the end of the month.
Our plant is struggling due to rm issues. We are operating at 50% capacity and haven't manufactured any latex paint in over a week.

A llittle update
Called Weyerhauser today to get some prices for an upcoming bid. 7/16 OSB is off market, not able to be quoted. Next available load is mid-May. Current cost is over $35, wholesale. But will be treated as price is whatever it is when the load is ready to ship.
LVLs, Ijoists and other engineered items are a "no quote" right now as well.
Sheetrock mud is in very short supply and word is paint may be headed that direction too (short term thing on both).
Things aren't improving.

Things aren't improving.
Force Majeure is a standard clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the parties' control prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract. Typical reasons for force majeure are war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic, sudden legal changes, or an event described as an act of God. Most force majeure clauses do not excuse a party's non-performance entirely but only suspend it for the duration of the force majeure.

Back