Lumber prices and alternatives

I guess I figured there were incremental increases throughout the entire process, including raw material. Somebody somewhere along the line is making mint!!
The mills are making the mint from what I have read. And 30% of the SE mills are now Canadian owned.

million.jpeg

I have zero doubt.
This is gonna get really bad this summer.
Fawk it. Construction will grind shut. Lets go fishing and drink beer and complain about it

Fawk it. Construction will grind shut. Lets go fishing and drink beer and complain about it
Do we have to fish? I really need to go pitch a proper drunk in the woods. Soon.
Honestly, this is getting to be a real PITA. Having the same conversations every single day about the cost of lumber.

We moved permanently to our place in Surry Co and sold our house in JoCo back in Feb. We were hoping to start building our new home this summer 😑

Looks like this little house will have to work for now. Glad we have lots of space out of doors.

I ordered 4 2x10x16, 50 2x6x16 and 50 1x4x16 from a local sawmill to build shelters on each side of my shop. $1 per bd/ft.

So is there a good way to invest in lumber? ELI5 as my kindergarten friend @Ron would say.

Try it with no legs!

Pretty sure you can sail with no legs. :D

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure I'm going to build this garage in 2025. Unless I win the lottery, or I decide to throw good money after bad and get a loan to cover the massive material cost overage.

I'll build a nice expensive shed to serve as storage and workspace in the meantime, maybe. Expensive because that's the current reality, not because it's fancy.

Last edited:
I have a friend in the construction industry (not fatty) and he says he read a report that said lumber prices wouldn't level out till 3Q of this year...level out....

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure I'm going to build this garage in 2025. Unless I win the lottery, or I decide to throw good money after bad and get a loan to cover the massive material cost overage.

I'll build a nice expensive shed to serve as storage and workspace in the meantime, maybe. Expensive because that's the current reality, not because it's fancy.
@drkelly is the guy to talk to about nice sheds.
IMG_20200101_170852429_HDR.jpg

I hope to one day build something very similar looking from reclaimed barn logs on our land to use as a small 1 car garage

So is there a good way to invest in lumber? ELI5 as my kindergarten friend @Ron would say.

Do you have a futures trading account?
I have a friend in the construction industry (not fatty) and he says he read a report that said lumber prices wouldn't level out till 3Q of this year...level out....
Can confirm.

Plus...trucking is a huge issue now. Lead times and freight rates are a big concern. Wait until produce starts being shipped.
Food spoils, lumber (and everything else construction related) won't.

This is what I'm doing.
Been collecting materials from random sources to keep the shed reasonable

I can't wait to see this pallet shed. Gonna be a huge hit in Pinterest
Lol. Sorry to disappoint, shed won't be made of pallets. Just using the decking for flooring etc

I can't wait to see this pallet shed. Gonna be a huge hit in Pinterest
But, since you brought it up....
Found a guy in Baltimore that runs the warehouse for a company that distributes CanAm Spyders, 4wheelers and other vehicles. They come in giant wood crates, he's told "get rid of them". So he's selling the wood cheap.
Made a run and got a bunch of crate panels and random 2x4s and 2x3s. Dude even had a pic on FB of an 8x8 shed he made of the panels.
20210423_193800.jpg

The bases have like 4 layers, prying them apart and banging out the nails wasn't too awful. Put the teenager to work.
20210502_152808.jpg
20210502_144600.jpg

Get that out of each one. Finally reduced to this
20210502_164245.jpg

In normal times this would never be worth so much work... but these are not normal times...

Last edited:
Back