Military Vehicles Thread

Attachments

• HMMWV.jpg
    HMMWV.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 87
Two 'non runners' that after a good bit of work seem to be good drivers. Haven't driven them far but both did well on a ride around the neighborhood.

Out of 12 I have here (2 still waiting to be picked up) I have heard 6 run. 3-4 more might run, two are parts trucks.

IMG_20220921_172607379_HDR.jpg

Two 'non runners' that after a good bit of work seem to be good drivers. Haven't driven them far but both did well on a ride around the neighborhood.

Out of 12 I have here (2 still waiting to be picked up) I have heard 6 run. 3-4 more might run, two are parts trucks.

View attachment 381240
What kind of price will a driving one have?

What kind of price will a driving one have?
I still have to put doors on them, lights, windshields, probably paint them, etc. But for a nice (looking and driving) runner I am figuring around $30k-$50k, (an ugly blue painted one sold today for $50k+ fees) but honestly will just have to see where the market is when they are ready. I am sure some will be cheaper, may have a fixer upper or two in the bunch that will be considerably cheaper.

The a/c blows ice cold in one of these. The other the clutch doesn't lock up, not sure if it has a charge or not but I have to check that too.

Out of the 14 I bought, two are definite parts trucks for me. Not to say they couldn't be repaired, but at the moment they are more valuable to me as parts. Possibly a third parts truck, it'll be way down on the list to fix up but it's definitely repairable. Three were missing steering boxes, that was a nice surprise.

Drove one today and got it up to about 55. No windshield is rough! Also got a steering box swapped into this one and got it running. It needs some air in the tires and ball joints checked before I can drive it more than around the house/neighborhood, I noticed one balljoint was loose.

IMG_20220922_151959964_HDR.jpg

Don’t remember the years range but the 1151 series had a bad rash of the bolts holding the inner prop shafts to the rotors and they would walk out. Army solution was to pull, red loctite and reinstall. Also the front caliper bolts were known to shear under hard (emergency braking) due to the bolt not being the correct grade compared to the added weight of the armor. Because the run backwards due the portals the caliper would then get wedged upwards into the caliper bracket and make kind of a mess as the can get up into the bottom of the fan. Other than that the 6.5 turbo motor was awesome and O.D. actually made them fun to drive.

$30k to $50k!! I sure hope those are street legal and comfy for that price!
It's a hope, not a guarantee. One just like these on Facebook for $69k right now and it doesn't have doors! Granted, I think the dude is smoking crack. The a/c will work and they actually ride pretty good. Hit about 65 in one this evening, not much fun without a windshield. Not bad for a truck that the auction people said 'could not be started'.

You know them auction people put zero effort in to them.

My CUCV was listed as "non running". One of the batteries was dead. I swapped it out and drove it on a trailer 😁

This one is the 'latest and greatest' version I have, so at this point it's the one I am planning to convert to a 4-man pickup. It has a gear drive fan where the cooking fan is driven via a gearbox that is run off a driveshaft connected to the crank pulley. It also has aluminum caliper Wildwood brakes which are supposedly an 'upgrade'. The geardrive fan is nice because there is no hydraulic fan clutch, or so it seems. I have only driven it around at the house. It blows the air straight down and makes a HUGE dust cloud, so that is a stupid design for a convoy vehicle.... Or is it a smart design so the guys shooting can only see the first in line 😀

IMG_20220928_170145934_HDR.jpg

Mirrors, glass, half doors and some other stuff, this one is ALMOST ready for paint. I am still waiting on turret hole plugs, and also ordered enough x-doors for 6 HMMWV's. Took it out on the road today, big difference with glass! 70mph is pretty much topped out, comfortable at 60. A diff regear would make one of these trucks haul butt.

IMG_20221006_170514144_HDR.jpg

Mirrors, glass, half doors and some other stuff, this one is ALMOST ready for paint. I am still waiting on turret hole plugs, and also ordered enough x-doors for 6 HMMWV's. Took it out on the road today, big difference with glass! 70mph is pretty much topped out, comfortable at 60. A diff regear would make one of these trucks haul butt.

View attachment 382259
Do these have cats on them? If so, knock ‘em empty. Bolt the empty cat back up in its normal location. Remove the muffler. Take the little section of tailpipe that comes from the muffler out the wheel well and bolt it up to the back of the cat. It makes a huge difference and sounds pretty damn good. Also, you can bump the injection pump about 1/8 of a turn inside the inspection cover on the side of the rotary pump (kind of a PIA) and they will scoot pretty damn well even under full combat load! (Ask me how I know lol)

If you bump the pump enough and, with enough pedal it creates obscuration smoke as you are leaving the objective area.

If you bump the pump enough and, with enough pedal it creates obscuration smoke as you are leaving the objective area.

Tactical escape? :D

I actually got the old N/A 6.2 in my CUCV to puff a little! Might have bumped it up to 142 horse pressures and 244 torquey bois! We're talking about some muscle 😎

Do these have cats on them? If so, knock ‘em empty. Bolt the empty cat back up in its normal location. Remove the muffler. Take the little section of tailpipe that comes from the muffler out the wheel well and bolt it up to the back of the cat. It makes a huge difference and sounds pretty damn good. Also, you can bump the injection pump about 1/8 of a turn inside the inspection cover on the side of the rotary pump (kind of a PIA) and they will scoot pretty damn well even under full combat load! (Ask me how I know lol)

Yea I'll probably remove the cat/muffler on the one I am keeping at a minimum. If nothing else it frees up a lot of room underneath when working on other stuff. I have swapped turbo/overdrive drivetrains in some older HMMWV's before, straight piping them did sound good, wasn't obnoxiously loud either.

Last two were dropped off yesterday. Got one running after replacing the oil cooler, it also needs a brake line replaced. The other needs an injection pump I think. So out of 14 I have heard 8 run. And have hopes that a few more will run, but at least one will need an engine swapped from the parts truck into it (assuming the parts truck engine runs)

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_093220614_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221013_093220614_HDR.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20221013_093141683_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221013_093141683_HDR.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 125
It looks really stupid, but I want one also for some unknown reason.

I agreed to paint one for a customer. It reminded of how much I don't mind spraying, but how much I hate prep work. This thing had more paint chips than Doughboy ate when he was a kid. It's getting aluminum wheels and 40" tires (already here).

Attachments

• IMG_20230511_191945666.jpg
    IMG_20230511_191945666.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230503_153022812_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230503_153022812_HDR.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20230502_152735585.jpg
    IMG_20230502_152735585.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 88
Why would I do that? I am not sure, but seemed like a good idea at the time 🤣. Now for a driveshaft and then a visit to Pfaff's for a windshield.

I am honestly tempted to move the transfer case back some so that I could hopefully do a 1 piece driveshaft. Maybe at the same time swap in a Oshkosh 55000 transfer case which is two speed instead of the factory single speed. The 55k would give me a higher top speed (around 80mph I think). If I do that, I'll be removing the bed to make life easier.

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_135507368_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240221_135507368_HDR.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 74
Why would I do that? I am not sure, but seemed like a good idea at the time 🤣. Now for a driveshaft and then a visit to Pfaff's for a windshield.

I am honestly tempted to move the transfer case back some so that I could hopefully do a 1 piece driveshaft. Maybe at the same time swap in a Oshkosh 55000 transfer case which is two speed instead of the factory single speed. The 55k would give me a higher top speed (around 80mph I think). If I do that, I'll be removing the bed to make life easier.
Diff delete? Going to Shorten the frame or no?

Diff delete? Going to Shorten the frame or no?

Yea removed the middle axle. No, not going to shorten the frame or even move the rear axle. It does make for a long wheelbase, but moving the rear axle forward would be a LOT of work. It has about 30 huckbolts that have to be torched off to remove it, plus the sway bar. Torching the huckbolts and drilling new holes in the frame are not my idea of a fun time. I plan to put some toolboxes, maybe an extra fuel tank in the empty space along the frame.

Back