MOTD (Meme of the Day)

Not illegal to drive with your tailgate down, though. And it isn't our fault that their cameras suck and can't take good camera angles. :lol:

To expound on this a bit.

Correct, definitely not illegal to drive with your tailgate down. However, if you are taking a toll road every morning and afternoon for work and leave your tailgate down, its pretty obvious what you are doing. Those pictures that don't have tags are labeled "UO"(unidentified object) and then sent to manual review. Pretty easy to establish a pattern from there.

All that being said, carry a 2x4 in the bed with the tailgate down :lol:

The camera's are actually pretty good, capable of catching tags up to 200+mph even on a bike. They are just mounted at high angles.

Correct, definitely not illegal to drive with your tailgate down. However, if you are taking a toll road every morning and afternoon for work and leave your tailgate down, its pretty obvious what you are doing. Those pictures that don't have tags are labeled "UO"(unidentified object) and then sent to manual review. Pretty easy to establish a pattern from there.

The camera's are actually pretty good, capable of catching tags up to 200+mph even on a bike. They are just mounted at high angles.
Sucks my tailgate is broken and won't latch, right? :lol:

But in all honestly, I have an EZPass transponder. :lol:

1686590200860.png

Is there any kind of radar or similar built in to the camera stations? Has anyone verified the 200+ mph claim?

Is there any kind of radar or similar built in to the camera stations? Has anyone verified the 200+ mph claim?

Yes/No. The cameras were built and tested out in Arizona at a track at near those speeds. During ITS configuration before the expressway was opened we tested the cameras at speed. The ITS company had a few mustangs/camaros plus a Hayabusa that made a few runs at 150+.

Yes, I have access to all speed data from the gantries. That info does NOT get sent to SHP/LEO but can be sent once I'm subpoenaed. But the speeds are recorded/captured as part of the data.

I think the highest number I've seen was 163ish from SHP responding to a felony wrong way driver chase.

Yes/No. The cameras were built and tested out in Arizona at a track at near those speeds. During ITS configuration before the expressway was opened we tested the cameras at speed. The ITS company had a few mustangs/camaros plus a Hayabusa that made a few runs at 150+.

Yes, I have access to all speed data from the gantries. That info does NOT get sent to SHP/LEO but can be sent once I'm subpoenaed. But the speeds are recorded/captured as part of the data.

I think the highest number I've seen was 163ish from SHP responding to a felony wrong way driver chase.
Narc!

The max capture speed just comes down to camera frame rate and time in the field of view. If you can make it through the field of view and time it so you’re in between shutter clicks, then you’ll get away scot-free. Camera tech is most certainly better now, but when I was doin it, we used 30 fps cameras and the fov varied but let’s call it 50ft.

200mph = 293 ft/sec so it would take about .17 seconds to cross the fov. During that time, the camera can take 5 pics at 30fps. Even if the fov was only 25ft, the camera would still get 2-3 shots.

What we really looked at with relation to capture speed wasn’t fixed camera positions, but mobile units. We were looking at closing speed - two cars coming at each other. Cop going 100+ passing an opposing car going 100+. Worst case, you’re looking at probably 250-300mph and depending on the camera orientation and timing, it might only get 1 shot.

Serious question here. What happens after they manually review and establish a pattern. If nothing illegal is done, do they post a cop and pull someone over for driving completely legal. Just curious, I don’t drive the toll roads.

Serious question here. What happens after they manually review and establish a pattern. If nothing illegal is done, do they post a cop and pull someone over for driving completely legal. Just curious, I don’t drive the toll roads.

I only know of 1 case of this happening. IIRC, it was a red S10 pickup with the tailgate down(empty bed) that was driving the full length of the roadway WB every morning and then again EB in the evenings. This happened every weekday for a month or more. We do have dedicated SHP units for the roadway so they passed the info(make/model etc) onto them. I honestly don't know what came of it as that one instance happened back in early 2019 right after it opened.

These days we worry more about farm equipment, wrong way drivers, etc then a tailgate being down.

These days we worry more about farm equipment, wrong way drivers, etc then a tailgate being down.
What is the farm equipment concern? People using improperly tagged vehicles on the road?

As mentioned previously, MD solved most problems by requiring front plates. A lot harder to hide and you get 2x the chance. And you get to give people who move here the joy of drilling holes in their bumper that the mfr hadn't made provisions for.

@RatLabGuy the roadway is in a fairly rural area. So during spring/fall we get combines, sprayers, tractors etc using the roadway to get to fields/other properties instead of loading them on a low-boy. It's a controlled access facility so they aren't allowed per NC law. Plus we have to worry about tight ROW/shoulders/guardrail and overhead gantries with oversized equipment running up and down the road. Those overhead gantries contain a lot of high $$$ equipment and the concern of damage is real.

Its never fun when you are running 70+mph and come up on a combine running 25mph and taking up the entire right shoulder and lane. SHP tries to keep them off but with only two officers running 20 miles of roadway with no median turnaround its tough to catch them before they get off the facility.

@RatLabGuy the roadway is in a fairly rural area. So during spring/fall we get combines, sprayers, tractors etc using the roadway to get to fields/other properties instead of loading them on a low-boy. It's a controlled access facility so they aren't allowed per NC law. Plus we have to worry about tight ROW/shoulders/guardrail and overhead gantries with oversized equipment running up and down the road. Those overhead gantries contain a lot of high $$$ equipment and the concern of damage is real.

Its never fun when you are running 70+mph and come up on a combine running 25mph and taking up the entire right shoulder and lane. SHP tries to keep them off but with only two officers running 20 miles of roadway with no median turnaround its tough to catch them before they get off the facility.
Or if they wouldn’t have stuck the road through the rural area in the first place the farmers would left to do their jobs in peace….. IJS….

Id say you could pay alot of tickets for the cost of a low-boy, and truck, and maintain a CDL. Im sure they likely have those things already, but I can see the risk.

with only two officers running 20 miles of roadway with no median turnaround
Since we're on the topic...any idea what the tolerable speed threshold is?

Back