NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Lot's of Turkeys at all of the lakes in piedmont. Jordon, Harris, Falls, Mayo, Hyco. If you have a boat and 2 or 3 hunters it's easy to take 1 or 3. Get out on the lake an hour or so from sunrise and shut down the motor. If it's calm you can hear them gobbling for about 1/2 mile and you will hear more than 3 or more and they will be all around you. Then run the boat to shore near where one was heard, then drop off your buddy and repeat another etc. Sneak slow (quietly) up in the woods near the bird was and NO flashlights. Set up before sunrise and wait for them to hit the ground. If they're close you'll hear them come down. When the suns up and they're in the trees hanging up an not coming down just wait. You can purr or call quietly and scratch the leaves etc. And I would like to join party if I get a permit or join one w ya'll. I'll apply for Sherron and Jordon. AND the Eno river @ Falls is FILLED w birds and you can walk to them or take a small/jon boat up or down the river and do the same.

Last edited:
Well took my 8 month old puppy to our first fieldtrail. she got a TAN pass with ease and several judges watched he and told me I should have entered her in the main trial that she was handling birds better than some of the other dogs.

Attachments

• 20230211_204800.jpg
    20230211_204800.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 54
Lawd! You might want to post up nearby next season. That’s a good one. I watched a YouTube video the other day showing one of the legs on a condo stand that had become a frequent rub. They had almost warn through a 4x4 post on the dang deer stand. Irony.

Yea, looks like that tree seen some good action over the years. I love the idea of hunting, but I’ll admit I’m not really a hunter at all.

Not exactly hunting or fishing, but still outdoorsy.

Riding down the road Friday I saw this dude beside the road upsidedown. I he wasn't there when I went by earlier so I knew he was fresh and not funky. I've always wanted on of these shells. Ol boy came out of the mud and tried crossing the road looking for some snatch and got his head run over. I've never cleaned a turtle before. It was an experience. Especially when it was still responsive to being touched with it's head smashed in (from the car) and then with no head.

IMG_20230210_135303486_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230212_171649790.jpg
IMG_20230212_171658575.jpg

Riding down the road Friday I saw this dude beside the road upsidedown. I he wasn't there when I went by earlier so I knew he was fresh and not funky. I've always wanted on of these shells. Ol boy came out of the mud and tried crossing the road looking for some snatch and got his head run over. I've never cleaned a turtle before. It was an experience. Especially when it was still responsive to being touched with it's head smashed in (from the car) and then with no head.

View attachment 391823View attachment 391827View attachment 391829

My son played that for me last year and I still have to play and get a good laugh every time I hear it
I've been laughing at it for 15 years and still get a kick every time. :D

View attachment 391823View attachment 391827View attachment 391829

I would love to build a ukulele using a turtle shell.

Been hammering away with the bow, gearing up for some longbeards. Added some fuzzies for string silencing. Practice most mornings before I head to work.

20230214_190728.jpg

Had some good help moving a stand today. Was in a good spot, just the wrong tree for bowhunting.

20230218_131813.jpg

Im concerned about putting too much pressure on them at this property. It's my go to spot as it's close to home and hasn't been hunted in years. It's small at 12 acres. I have 3 ladder stands on it for various winds (green), and a barn loft that's a good rifle spot in any wind (blue). And a elevated platform down by the creek (yellow).

Screenshot_20230218-135140_onX Hunt.jpg

And also, I've been watching this awesome black w/ white accents fox squirrel in my back field lately. My neighbors who have been here for 4 generations have never seen a fox squirrel on our road. I hope he can find a girlfriend. I can't shoot him knowing he's the only one.

Shout.out to my photography skills. These pics are from 200yds with a cell phone camera through binoculars.
IMG_20230312_165428551.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230312_165432266.jpg
    IMG_20230312_165432266.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 54
And also, I've been watching this awesome black w/ white accents fox squirrel in my back field lately. My neighbors who have been here for 4 generations have never seen a fox squirrel on our road. I hope he can find a girlfriend. I can't shoot him knowing he's the only one.

Shout.out to my photography skills. These pics are from 200yds with a cell phone camera through binoculars.
View attachment 393682
He looks like a penguin!!!

Gonna head down to Perkins game land later this week or next to scout for some turkey and do some shed hunting.

Side question. Anybody else watch/listen to The Hunting Public? Lot of good content over there.

Shotgun:sniper:: patterned

Gameland:dumbass:: scouted

New ghillie camo:smokin:: check

Sounding like a love struck hen😍: eh, maybe

And tonight I found some allen 100 gr broadheads on clearance:cool:. They have good reviews, and were only $8/3 pack so I got 2 packs. Been drilling at 40 with the bow, so I'll shoot for 20 or less.

Now to decide whether to run and gun :uzi: or stalk woth the bow. :confused:

Last edited:
Did some scouting at Perkins and yadkin river. Found very little sign, but its better than nothing I guess. Torn between going to Perkins, kerr Scott, or Thurmond Chatham.

20230330_195447.jpg

Shotgun:sniper:: patterned

Gameland:dumbass:: scouted

New ghillie camo:smokin:: check

Sounding like a love struck hen😍: eh, maybe

And tonight I found some allen 100 gr broadheads on clearance:cool:. They have good reviews, and were only $8/3 pack so I got 2 packs. Been drilling at 40 with the bow, so I'll shoot for 20 or less.

Now to decide whether to run and gun :uzi: or stalk woth the bow. :confused:

Do they still have the apple orchards up on Stans Mountain?

Back