NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Same. I'm having trouble with my new string and peep. I can't see through it. As in focus. I have glasses for up close reading and welding now. They strung a smaller peep on for some reason I have to get something changed.

Yea, it's a while nother world now. Cams are a lot better, the sight on this one is a huge upgrade, a lot more bow for the buck now. I will back this one down a bit for getting inthe groove again and bring it back up as I go. It's super adjustable, which was a draw for me.

When y'all get old and your shoulder is jacked up and you can't pull the string on a compound bow anymore get a Excalibur X bow. Trust me, they are the best x bows on the planet. The only thing you need for one is a good string and bolts/broadheads. No cams, no cables, tuning etc. just need a good string and they are bullet proof.

Same. I'm having trouble with my new string and peep. I can't see through it. As in focus. I have glasses for up close reading and welding now. They strung a smaller peep on for some reason I have to get something changed.

Back in my bow days, I knew a couple of guys who didn't use a peep ..... just a bump of serving line wrapped on the string.
Line the bump up with the pin.
It can be fine tuned by making sure it will slide on the string ..... once set, glue it in place.
It takes some getting used to, but you don't have to deal with twist or glasses issues.

Back in my bow days, I knew a couple of guys who didn't use a peep ..... just a bump of serving line wrapped on the string.
Line the bump up with the pin.
It can be fine tuned by making sure it will slide on the string ..... once set, glue it in place.
It takes some getting used to, but you don't have to deal with twist or glasses issues.

Could always go the route of instinctive shooting too. Similar to the childhood rite of passage learning rifles with iron sights, instinctively shooting recurves (and then compounds) was the rite of passage my dad would make us do before he’d allow sights.

Little man's first duck hunt. It was one for the books. Had at least 150 come in on us. Crazy number of gadwalls. Picked up my first greenwing real.
IMG_20230128_082642816_HDR.jpg

Could always go the route of instinctive shooting too. Similar to the childhood rite of passage learning rifles with iron sights, instinctively shooting recurves (and then compounds) was the rite of passage my dad would make us do before he’d allow sights.

Used to rabbit hunt with a light recurve as a kid.

Well, my squirrel hunt turned into a (very noisy) hike with munchkin this evening. Found a few rubs while I was out. Even managed to bag one. Pretty good shot for me, 80 yards on a limb with open sights.

20230128_173152.jpg

20230128_173955.jpg

Last edited:
Hunting related question. When Im at full draw with this new bow, my peep is to the right of my sight. Im not finding much info on side to side issues with the peep. What might cause this? Draw length wrong? Something out of alignment? Just need some range time?

Hunting related question. When Im at full draw with this new bow, my peep is to the right of my sight. Im not finding much info on side to side issues with the peep. What might cause this? Draw length wrong? Something out of alignment? Just need some range time?
your sight could be set to far left. draw length, form, or something is out of adjustment. you could be torquing the grip as well. set the bow in the "v" between your index and thumb as your drawing back open your grip, i found my "zero" torque spot was about perfect if my index finger on my left had was almost pointing at the target.

close your eyes do what i said with your bow gripping hand and make sure your anchors are correct then open your eyes and see where your peep is in reference to the sight. but all that is worthless if your draw length isnt right.

your sight could be set to far left. draw length, form, or something is out of adjustment. you could be torquing the grip as well. set the bow in the "v" between your index and thumb as your drawing back open your grip, i found my "zero" torque spot was about perfect if my index finger on my left had was almost pointing at the target.

close your eyes do what i said with your bow gripping hand and make sure your anchors are correct then open your eyes and see where your peep is in reference to the sight. but all that is worthless if your draw length isnt right.

Thanks. I set up an appointment at archers edge in wilkesboro to to check everything and set it up for me. Probably get some goodies while im there. Any other suggestions for a shop from winston to wilkesboro?

Edit: after drawing a few times (mindful of my shoulder) I think I need a longer draw. I think I'm just having to anchor too far forward. My thought is let the shop adjust the length and back the weight down about 10 lbs to around 60 lbs. Should be plenty for deer under 30 yards, and let me build up my strength.

Last edited:
Ima grown boy and I only draw 53lbs. It's just where I endded up when setting up a bow several years a ago and stuck with it. I use cut on contact fixed heads. I focus more on shot placement and ease of draw (sittings down knees touching) if one slips in on me. I am confident in my setup out to 35yds.

Ima grown boy and I only draw 53lbs. It's just where I endded up when setting up a bow several years a ago and stuck with it. I use cut on contact fixed heads. I focus more on shot placement and ease of draw (sittings down knees touching) if one slips in on me. I am confident in my setup out to 35yds.
I hunted with 45lbs as a teen. Figure ill have it turned down some, I can always go up if needed. I can draw it at 68, but Im a little shaky.

Thanks. I set up an appointment at archers edge in wilkesboro to to check everything and set it up for me. Probably get some goodies while im there. Any other suggestions for a shop from winston to wilkesboro?

Edit: after drawing a few times (mindful of my shoulder) I think I need a longer draw. I think I'm just having to anchor too far forward. My thought is let the shop adjust the length and back the weight down about 10 lbs to around 60 lbs. Should be plenty for deer under 30 yards, and let me build up my strength.
most bows your nose just just be touching the string. i anchor the knuckle that is where your finger meets my ear.

ive shot 60lbs since ive had a bow. im pretty sure i hurt my shoulder drawing back on a deer this year weird position plus i was rushing/ jerking it back. will find out for sure next week. but ill probably lower my draw weight as im building the shoulder back up. Ive never took a shot over 25 yards with my bow, mainly because ive never had to. i like to be right on them. most of my shots have been under 20.

Well, after spending more than I wanted to at the archery shop (got plenty for my money), I put 2 dozen arrows through it. Had the weight dropped to 60, draw lengthened, a cable fixed, and got six new complete arrows for $80. Highly reccomend Archers Edge in wilkesboro. Just an old bow hunter who works on them, but seemed to know his stuff.

Night and day compared to what I remember. Long ways to go, but bow season here I come.

20230203_153030.jpg

20230203_152644.jpg

20230203_152048.jpg

You folks that live in the central part of the state, hows the turkey hunting on Jordan game land? Been promising my buddy wed hunt closer to his place in Burlington, so trying to find some good spots out there.

You just apply and pay the application fee (5 bucks?) And then they let you know on line if you get it
Its apparently $8 now. but yea, I think Ill apply for the stuff down around durham with my buddy. Itll be a nice change for him instead of driving from burlington to wilkes county.

Back