NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Hen on the rights milkshake bringing all the boys to the yard. Tom on the far left, 2 Jakes in the middle. I grabbed a gun and my 6yr old because youth day... Didn't have a plan other than to try to cut them off and somehow let him pull the trigger. We saw them in the woods but couldn't get a shot off. We had fun though and he's got the blood lust after our last duck hunt.

IMG_20230401_153810940_HDR.jpg

Not sure I know where stans mountain is.

I guess it shows up on maps as either Hordes Mtn. or Segraves Mtn. I lived in the Marler part of Hamptonville and we would ride dirt bikes there back in the day.

I guess it shows up on maps as either Hordes Mtn. or Segraves Mtn. I lived in the Marler part of Hamptonville and we would ride dirt bikes there back in the day.

Gotcha. Off of 21 and Rena road. Some guy from Texas bought it and he gets all rope up if you go riding up there. Ask me how I know lol. But yea it's still there. I know the guy who manages it pretty well.

I grew up in cycle off of Rock House Mountain Rd, and we tended the farm there in the "the" curve. Now we live in buck Shoals behind Junior Johnsons old mansion, and I look at that mountain off my front porch.

How's turkey season going for everyone? My one hunt was soggy, but we found some birds. Didn't get anything though. Planning to try again this evening.

20230408_162110.jpg

Was just heading out the door to work yesterday and this dude was hanging out.
20230410_071533.jpg
20230410_071703.jpg

After em this evening.

20230413_180850.jpg

No decoys? you should have 2 or more spread around to take the Toms eyes off you as it walks up close enough to pull your string and stick it. Another thing you could do help with the game seeing your vanes. Take a black, brown, green etc. magic marker and paint the vanes.
20230413_215800.jpg

Last edited:
No decoys? you should have 2 or more spread around to take the Toms eyes off you as it walks up close enough to pull your string and stick it.

Decoys weren't in the budget this year. Where I was setup, they would have to come around a point on the ridge and come out at about 15 yards. Wish I had at least a hen decoy.

Decoys weren't in the budget this year. Where I was setup, they would have to come around a point on the ridge and come out at about 15 yards. Wish I had at least a hen decoy.
Try to get a original funky chicken. They are taller than the new ones and the toms can see them better but both make the toms nuts when they see them.

add a few cheap foam hens and you'll be knocking down.

Last edited:
Try to get a original funky chicken. They are taller than the new ones and the toms can see them better but both make the toms nuts when they see them.

add a few cheap foam hens and you'll be knocking down.
Well thats different. Looks like it should work though.

Up at Kerr Scott this morning. Going to be very mobileand just keep after it. Hopefully see something.

20230415_063239.jpg

Going to try my hand at kayak hunting saturday. There is a piece of Kerr Scott game land that is only (legally) accessible by water. Its only a 600 yard paddle, but I doubt many folks are going to do it.

Was working on my barn yesterday after work and had 3 turkeys walk out of the wood line about 20 yards from me. I did my best (read terrible) gobble impressions and they completely ignored me and went on about their day.

Was working on my barn yesterday after work and had 3 turkeys walk out of the wood line about 20 yards from me. I did my best (read terrible) gobble impressions and they completely ignored me and went on about their day.

I know a guy who can solve that problem! :D:cool:

Thats more than ive seen all season lol.

Had my last turkey hunt in NC this morning. Heard one gobble from 2 different birds on the wrong side of the river. Heading to PA to hunt next week where it’s looking cold & wet with a chance of snow Monday and Wednesday.

Skunked out all weekend in Greenville, but got beers and oysters with @rockcity so not a bad weekend at all.

This was on Saturday. First light we had two toms running full speed at our decoys until the rest of the flock flew out of the trees. I've since bought a full strut tom decoy and replaced my hens, if we had a tom it would have been easy. Also had a jake run off a doe in the same field that morning.

I've never seen this behavior especially during season. Only thing I can think of is there is NO hunting pressure on this farm for turkey so they just hang out.

Skunked out all weekend in Greenville, but got beers and oysters with @rockcity so not a bad weekend at all.

This was on Saturday. First light we had two toms running full speed at our decoys until the rest of the flock flew out of the trees. I've since bought a full strut tom decoy and replaced my hens, if we had a tom it would have been easy. Also had a jake run off a doe in the same field that morning.

I've never seen this behavior especially during season. Only thing I can think of is there is NO hunting pressure on this farm for turkey so they just hang out.

View attachment 396194

No pressure? I know a few locals that can help out with that. 😁

Well, I had my chance and blew it. Had a nice tom at 20 yards. When I drew back, my release button snagged on (I assume) the hood of my ghillie suit and went off. Sending my arrow sailing to oblivion. The Tom strutted out of range before I had a chance to reset. Bummed I blew my chance, but glad I finally GOT a chance! I'm also fairly confident he never picked me out. He just strutted around a while then worked off. But never gave me another shot.

20230429_153520.jpg

20230429_155811.jpg

Back