NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Long and slightly hilarious adventure, but I managed to whack a doe before the season in Watauga runs out.

That was the easy part.

The hard part was skinning and gutting it on the tailgate of my truck in front of the meat processor who refused to do it. (No one told me they wanted the deer dropped off skinned/gutted before I drove an hour and a half to get there.)

321455496_851980749187248_4182390533752892981_n.jpg

Long and slightly hilarious adventure, but I managed to whack a doe before the season in Watauga runs out.

That was the easy part.

The hard part was skinning and gutting it on the tailgate of my truck in front of the meat processor who refused to do it. (No one told me they wanted the deer dropped off skinned/gutted before I drove an hour and a half to get there.)

Never seen a processor that required that.

That was the easy part.

Never heard of that. But, I process my own. It's super simple and cheap. Hell, I'd drive up to Watauga and help you out on the next one!

I highly recommend getting a grinder attachment for a kitchenaide. They don't have the biggest capacity, but I've yet to bog it down grinding deer meat. You can also get the sausage attachment and some others that are handy. And it's more cost effective as the kitchen aide wi be useful for other stuff. Brownie points are a bonus as well.

We've always just processed our own, so it's all I've ever known. As easy and cheap as it is, it just makes sense. I use the same knife from start to finish, cleaned of course, and either freeze or can mine. Mostly burger or stew.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I plan on learning to do this more in the future and getting some better equipment.

I lucked out, when they told me I had to gut/skin it, I had my hunting bag in the truck with an Esee 3 blade and an Orvis 'Sack' with reusable Game Bags and such in it. (Which included some latex gloves.). I'd bought both to take on an antelope hunt in WY a few years back that fell through and never had the chance to use either until this past weekend. Otherwise I'd have been trying to break the deer down with my pocket knife, which is probably the worst sort for skinning. (A Scallywag Tactical BlackWater folder)

R.7811cc6f9d5e192f4924663f8944f7e9

And this processor was 'Sommers' in Rutherfordton. Super nice and new looking place, but they said they only gut/skin during bow season when things aren't as 'busy' during rifle season.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I plan on learning to do this more in the future and getting some better equipment.

I lucked out, when they told me I had to gut/skin it, I had my hunting bag in the truck with an Esee 3 blade and an Orvis 'Sack' with reusable Game Bags and such in it. (Which included some latex gloves.). I'd bought both to take on an antelope hunt in WY a few years back that fell through and never had the chance to use either until this past weekend. Otherwise I'd have been trying to break the deer down with my pocket knife, which is probably the worst sort for skinning. (A Scallywag Tactical BlackWater folder)

R.7811cc6f9d5e192f4924663f8944f7e9

And this processor was 'Sommers' in Rutherfordton. Super nice and new looking place, but they said they only gut/skin during bow season when things aren't as 'busy' during rifle season.
Sommers is a great place, they are super clean

There snack sticks are amazing, use to be called Pinnacle Meat Processing, they are mininites and the women do all the butchering, men run the front of the business

Finally thought the puppy was far enough along that we could bring the birds and guns together. she didnt disappoint for her first time. now time to buckle down and get alot more work in. In a month she will be in her first field trial if all goes well.

Attachments

• 323900098_484456367207067_2591270563361607260_n.jpg
    323900098_484456367207067_2591270563361607260_n.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 323277873_948667176114388_2452799138295363354_n.jpg
    323277873_948667176114388_2452799138295363354_n.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 63
Finally thought the puppy was far enough along that we could bring the birds and guns together. she didnt disappoint for her first time. now time to buckle down and get alot more work in. In a month she will be in her first field trial if all goes well.
My grandpa was a first class bird dog trainer. People brought dogs from all over for him to train. Had one dog he trained that won all sorts of stuff. His personal dog would do just about everything on a hunt except drive the truck. It’s an art being able to to get those dogs to that level. Grandpa had all day patience with dogs, but people would piss him off in mere seconds.

My grandpa was a first class bird dog trainer. People brought dogs from all over for him to train. Had one dog he trained that won all sorts of stuff. His personal dog would do just about everything on a hunt except drive the truck. It’s an art being able to to get those dogs to that level. Grandpa had all day patience with dogs, but people would piss him off in mere seconds.
its definitely an art. Each dog is different, but i love watching her progress. Im realistic and want a Good to decent hunting partner that is good at home as well. because 90% of the time thats what she will be. Id really like to send her to a trainer for 6 weeks but wife is against that. She has the genetics to be a great dog.

its definitely an art. Each dog is different, but i love watching her progress. Im realistic and want a Good to decent hunting partner that is good at home as well. because 90% of the time thats what she will be. Id really like to send her to a trainer for 6 weeks but wife is against that. She has the genetics to be a great dog.
Now that you mention it, pawpaw’s good bird dogs were terrible house/yard dogs. They’d listen to him on a hunt, but they were mean to everybody but him. Had to keep them in a pin or they’d be gone.

Now that you mention it, pawpaw’s good bird dogs were terrible house/yard dogs. They’d listen to him on a hunt, but they were mean to everybody but him. Had to keep them in a pin or they’d be gone.
ya that has been the norm forever. Now most people are breeding for great hunting instincts with an "off" switch when they come home. Alot of the german breads have been breed like this for centuries but were also breed to be guard dogs of the house and then hunt. Most people i know that have 1 or 2 dogs they are all house dogs. The guy i got my dog from has 12 dogs and they stay in kennels at his house, but when he travels and hunts with them (3-4) at a time they stay in the hotel with him. English pointers are the only breed that stands out to me that most people keep those in kennels.

Unless something falls through, I'll be getting this bow tomorrow. Diamond Infinite Edge. Hoping to spend some more time in the woodsthis season. Also trying to find some more land to hunt.

received_2006773952863915.jpeg

received_1518355211987380.jpeg

Not a bad deal for $150. Diamond Infinite Edge, case, 2 release aides, and a few arrows. Get some field points and get shooting. I can pull it back at 65lbs easier than I can my browning micro adrenaline at 45lbs. At 3.2 lbs, this thing is light as a feather and very compact.

20230127_121019.jpg

20230127_121023.jpg

Last edited:
Not a bad deal for $150. Diamond Infinite Edge, case, 2 release aides, and a few arrows. Get some field points and get shooting. I can pull it back at 65lbs easier than I can my browning micro adrenaline at 45lbs. At 3.2 lbs, this thing is light as a feather and very compact.

View attachment 390643

View attachment 390645
I need someone to shoot with..

I need someone to shoot with..

Doc put me on restriction for a few weeks since Im having shoulder trouble (no interior ops, no heavy lifting, no bow shooting) after a fall a couple weeks ago, but when my shoulder gets up to speed Im game. Been out of archery for a while so I can use the help!

Doc put me on restriction for a few weeks since Im having shoulder trouble (no interior ops, no heavy lifting, no bow shooting) after a fall a couple weeks ago, but when my shoulder gets up to speed Im game. Been out of archery for a while so I can use the help!
Help. Lord we are both lost!

Help. Lord we are both lost!

I think I said it in this thread a couple pages ago, but Ive been out of the bow game for nearly a decade now. Bow hunted some as a teen and enjoyed it, but life and such got in the way. Hoping to use bow season for 'my' hunting time, and really focus on taking the boys hunting during rifle.

I think I said it in this thread a couple pages ago, but Ive been out of the bow game for nearly a decade now. Bow hunted some as a teen and enjoyed it, but life and such got in the way. Hoping to use bow season for 'my' hunting time, and really focus on taking the boys hunting during rifle.
Same. I'm having trouble with my new string and peep. I can't see through it. As in focus. I have glasses for up close reading and welding now. They strung a smaller peep on for some reason I have to get something changed.

Back