NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Which one of y'all is in charge of cleaning the windows? :flipoff2:

:lol: I'm going to blame the window screen &/or the zoom.
20181106_134256.jpg

Young 5pt in the backyard this am, about 15 minutes after I saw a doe pass through.

Ya but if he shoots him he is guaranteed not to grow anymore.

Agreed just stating the other side.

I meat hunt, if it has a nice rack, that is just icing on the cake, I will however not shoot an obvious button buck or a small cow horn.

After 18yrs of hunting in PA I finally decided it was time to take a decent buck. Honestly the first time I’ve taken a shot at one up here, gun or bow. I’ve literally let hundreds walk over the years.

I was getting ready to get down at 9:55am when I saw a couple deer through the woods at about 70-80yds. Sat back down and figured I’d stay a while longer. Few minutes later I heard the heavy thud, thud,thud of a running deer. I turned and saw a doe running over a creek to my left at 20yds. Started to stand to take her and saw good antlers coming behind her. Drew my bow as I was swinging around the split trunk of the tree, gave a loud bleat as he was jumping the creek out of my site due to the tree trunk. He landed in an open spot 20yds away, quartering to looking at me and I hit my mark. It was less than 5 seconds from the time I got a glance of him until the shot. He turned and ran back the way he came, arrow still stuck in his throat. After 30min I got down and went to my truck. An hr later a life long friend of mine showed up with lunch and beers. We went back in and found him 80yds from my stand. Just out of site due to some hemlock trees.
59B3B4C3-7236-4F3A-9FAB-E22F296C2F06.jpeg
24616FED-7FB9-44B7-A790-1865B4BBAD4F.jpeg
8E5E1511-D324-44F0-8D0F-D588FFBDAFE6.jpeg
F682F0CF-C82F-4D08-ABFC-F663BD2112DD.jpeg
84A2341C-C9D6-4555-B67F-8703D330D5E9.jpeg

Congrats Josh! He's gorgeous!

You can come and teach me the ways of the bow so I can add my fella to the wall in a couple of years. ;)

After 18yrs of hunting in PA I finally decided it was time to take a decent buck. Honestly the first time I’ve taken a shot at one up here, gun or bow. I’ve literally let hundreds walk over the years.

I was getting ready to get down at 9:55am when I saw a couple deer through the woods at about 70-80yds. Sat back down and figured I’d stay a while longer. Few minutes later I heard the heavy thud, thud,thud of a running deer. I turned and saw a doe running over a creek to my left at 20yds. Started to stand to take her and saw good antlers coming behind her. Drew my bow as I was swinging around the split trunk of the tree, gave a loud bleat as he was jumping the creek out of my site due to the tree trunk. He landed in an open spot 20yds away, quartering to looking at me and I hit my mark. It was less than 5 seconds from the time I got a glance of him until the shot. He turned and ran back the way he came, arrow still stuck in his throat. After 30min I got down and went to my truck. An hr later a life long friend of mine showed up with lunch and beers. We went back in and found him 80yds from my stand. Just out of site due to some hemlock trees.View attachment 279596 View attachment 279597 View attachment 279598 View attachment 279599 View attachment 279600

Nice kill.
Do you think you'll be able to salvage him for a shoulder mount with that hole? How good is your taxidermist?

This video reminded me of the 3 pt. cowhorn my brother shot a few weeks ago w his BP rifle. He was sitting on the ground w his back against a tree and had some Tinks on a hanging rag when he saw the buck walking about 60 yrds out. He said he had just set down and just finished a cig. when he heard and saw the buck steppin, it stopped and stared right at him for a minute or more. Then it started walking and he lost sight of it behind the tree trunks. He did not move cause he did not know where the buck was or if it could see him. Then he heard him stepping again and close. He reached for his gun that he leaned against a tree when he sat down and saw the buck when he leaned over to grab the gun. Again the buck stared at him and he had to freeze, w his arms stretched out, the buck was about 20 yrds now. It walked again and the trees blocked his view and he grabbed his gun and shouldered it. Then the buck stepped up to 10 yrds, stopped and stared at him again for minutes. Then he looked away and Travis shot him in the shoulder. He said his hooves flipped over his back and he was dead when he hit the ground. The Barnes Spitfire T-EZ is the best ML sabot I've ever used.

...and the video...... rut crazy bucks are unpredictable and can be dangerous and do stupid things that get them killed or hurt bad. Just like young men in love :smokin:

Wild buck attacks pastor :: WRAL.com

This video reminded me of the 3 pt. cowhorn my brother shot a few weeks ago w his BP rifle. He was sitting on the ground w his back against a tree and had some Tinks on a hanging rag when he saw the buck walking about 60 yrds out. He said he had just set down and just finished a cig. when he heard and saw the buck steppin, it stopped and stared right at him for a minute or more. Then it started walking and he lost sight of it behind the tree trunks. He did not move cause he did not know where the buck was or if it could see him. Then he heard him stepping again and close. He reached for his gun that he leaned against a tree when he sat down and saw the buck when he leaned over to grab the gun. Again the buck stared at him and he had to freeze, w his arms stretched out, the buck was about 20 yrds now. It walked again and the trees blocked his view and he grabbed his gun and shouldered it. Then the buck stepped up to 10 yrds, stopped and stared at him again for minutes. Then he looked away and Travis shot him in the shoulder. He said his hooves flipped over his back and he was dead when he hit the ground. The Barnes Spitfire T-EZ is the best ML sabot I've ever used.

...and the video...... rut crazy bucks are unpredictable and can be dangerous and do stupid things that get them killed or hurt bad. Just like young men in love :smokin:

Wild buck attacks pastor :: WRAL.com
I would have put that sucker in a headlock and held on until it was done.

Congrats Josh! He's gorgeous!

You can come and teach me the ways of the bow so I can add my fella to the wall in a couple of years. ;)
Thanks girl! We would love to come up for a visit sometime.

Nice kill.
Do you think you'll be able to salvage him for a shoulder mount with that hole? How good is your taxidermist?

My taxidermist won’t have an issue with that. He’s managed to fix much worse for others and has been doing it for over 30yrs.

I'm not a hunter. Maybe someday I'll get into it. I found this site a few years ago. Seems appropriate for this thread.
CRAPPY TAXIDERMY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won a free mount from a local taxidermist. I wasn’t thrilled, she is new only been doing it a year or two. My mount ended up good and I think the form also plays a big part in the quality. So aren’t much more than a foam that are roughly shaped, I picked one that the whole face was already set teeth eyes ears all she had to do was get the skin tucked right. Turned out good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be living right...first BP/ML deer last weekend & first double this weekend. 120# @ 55 yards & 100# @ 105 yards. The one @ 105 yards fooled me on her size & I had already lowered my rifle out of the stand & started packing my bag when 9 does walk in & stop @ 50 yards. Noticed one that we call nanny doe that stomps & blows at anything & everything. Pulled my .308 back up, threw on my ear muffs & tagged her right behind the shoulder. Neither one made it more than 60 yards.

20181110_182817.jpg

The rut seems to be heating up around here. I've had several buddies knock down some nice ones in the past week. I haven't been deer hunting yet this year butmy buddy and I had a good duck hunt yesterday morning. We didn't kill a ton but had a ton of mallards on us. We usually have mostly wood ducks in our main spot and yesterday we were forgoing shots at woodies to take the mallards that were falling in on us. No jewelry yesterday though.

Back