NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

F4DA86F4-67F8-4647-894B-42A0A6551F8A.png

Velvet picture of one of my shooters

Need opinions...what would you do with the bobcat I got (pic in post #194 of this thread)? I was waiting until after deer season in case I got a buck worth mounting & I was only going to get the pelt tanned. Since that didn't happen, I was thinking of doing the full body mount, but now I'm in the process of closing on a house ($$$) & I'm not totally convinced it'll be worth it for the full body mount (size/space & money). I posted prices from the guy I'm most likely going to use below:
Tanned Pelt - $150
Suede treated Pelt - $250
Shoulder Mount - $350
Full Body Mount - $500
Upgrade Shoulder/Full Body to a snarling mouthpiece for $100

I'm debating between the suede treated pelt & the full body mount without the snarling mouthpiece. Pelt is obviously cheaper, but this might be the only bobcat I ever see in the wild. What say you NC4x4 hunters?

Depends on if you're married or not. Unmarried, full mount. Display in living room or foyer for all to see. Married, tan it. 9 times out of 10 your woman will not appreciate a full size bobcat in her living room and it will be relegated to some obscure corner of the house. Might as well save that coin if she's going to make you keep it in the garage. At least that's how it all goes in my house :lol:

Depends on if you're married or not. Unmarried, full mount. Display in living room or foyer for all to see. Married, tan it. 9 times out of 10 your woman will not appreciate a full size bobcat in her living room and it will be relegated to some obscure corner of the house. Might as well save that coin if she's going to make you keep it in the garage. At least that's how it all goes in my house :lol:

Lol this is the truth. I’m single but close to getting engaged. My living room has a ton of fur hanging and she’s already started on getting rid of them. I said that’s fine but the mounts and grouse fans are staying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a full mount. I did on the first one I ever trapped. It turned out great. I had it done in a way that I can add a flushing grouse or a couple quail to the end of the mount later if I want.
Personally I don’t like the open mouth.
This is the way I'm leaning to be honest. I told myself I'd do a full mount if I didn't get a buck worth mounting...of course that was before I made an offer on a house! And I like mounting them how I saw them in the wild, and that guy didn't show signs knowing I was in the world (walked in from 150 yards to 15 yards) so the open mouth is out.

That's how it is at my parents house, my dad has two bucks mounted & both are banished to the garage & have cobwebs now. Luckily I convinced my mom to let me store mine in their guest room on top of a chest-of-drawers under a blanket!

I can take a picture of mine if you’d like. One thing else I’ll say if you have an option on picking the form they use pick the very best one even it if cost you more. I picked one that had most of the face already set (eyes, mouth, nose) they come out but are already set to be looking a direction and face muscle structure to show that. You can get blanks that are basically a football Shape and they have to form the face this is a lot harder and takes a lot of skill. My dad has a cat done by the same person and picked a cheaper form and it turned out okay but I’d say mine is still a good bit better looking in the face.

Here’s my living room, and pictures of my bobcat. I can try to find the paperwork and find the company that made the mount, the log is also fake and was part of the mount. This is only a small portion of the furs I have. My old roommate was a professional trapper and we hunted together a lot. At one point we had a fur or mount of every fur barrier or game animal in NC. Several black coyotes and at one point close to 30 skunks ( all of them had different stripes)..... so I’ve toned it down some but everything on the wall has a story.
265fe919b39d48c85576afeb2e63e260.jpg
46957b39d15cc06ec2d218c635829d50.jpg
b4ba46288de72c1d622a54909657efad.jpg

Here’s my living room, and pictures of my bobcat. I can try to find the paperwork and find the company that made the mount, the log is also fake and was part of the mount. This is only a small portion of the furs I have. My old roommate was a professional trapper and we hunted together a lot. At one point we had a fur or mount of every fur barrier or game animal in NC. Several black coyotes and at one point close to 30 skunks ( all of them had different stripes)..... so I’ve toned it down some but everything on the wall has a story.

Well that made my mind up...exactly what I had in mind!

Today I went to a place I've never been to scout for rabbits. I did'nt find any rabbit sign @ all in a few hours of roaming, but plenty of deer sign. I also found a passel of Woodcock but did'nt shoot any as I was'nt sure they were in season.

Need opinions...what would you do with the bobcat I got

I'm debating between the suede treated pelt & the full body mount without the snarling mouthpiece. Pelt is obviously cheaper, but this might be the only bobcat I ever see in the wild. What say you NC4x4 hunters?

Full body all the way! I did a Euro mount on what was the biggest deer I had shot at the time because I got the bobcat that came out to get a bite of him after he dropped. Totally worth it.

Mine is done sitting down like he was when I shot him. Head turned and looking down slightly so he can be on a high shelf and look over a room. He sits on the big windowsill in out a-frame living room.

My father-in-law shot one this year in WV. He’s getting it done lounging on a limb. They look pretty awesome like that too.

This is Bob
image.jpg

My daughter popped this kitty the first week of December while deer hunting down at our farm in SC. 27b female. Wife is like “hell no you’re not putting that thing up in the house”. Little does she know....:D

E3D68000-F22E-4F3E-9E3C-D2EA9DD197C4.jpeg

Kids showing their old man how it’s done. October doubles on this trip to the farm.

8956A8BA-ED76-4519-835E-1317A5309150.jpeg

We had a good hunt sat. near Aulander N.C. The dogs sent about 60 quail to flight that we saw and probably more we didn't see. I'm glad to know there are still places in NC that have abundant quail and none were shot at.
.....not bad for 6 hrs. The dogs ate 2 rabbits that they caught.
0126191445.jpg

Last edited:
Shot 3 coyotes this morning. Dropped #1, I knew I hit #2 more than once but after 20 minutes she got up and hobbled off. At this point I was out of 223. I knew I hit #3 twice on the run and he wasn’t doing well last I saw him. I tracked him to a den where I’m certain he expired. I jumped #2 while tracking her and and she ran into a steep ravine where I knew it was a dead end and wouldn’t be able to climb out. Had to finish it off with a 380 i happened to have on my hip. It had been hit in the gut, front and rear legs with 223. Next time I’ll be sure to have more than 8rds in the mag and try to make better shots. :lol:

Happy to see turkeys on the property again and hope they hang around until April!
A7B8FF05-FFA1-474C-B974-81FD24018DCE.jpeg
07477546-0773-43ED-BCBB-BDC4F71D2C8F.jpeg
C116391A-1E74-4E30-9142-EACBE9108D38.jpeg
B78E499D-8ADC-46AF-A1C0-A82679EB03E9.jpeg
E02D72BF-08A4-47A3-8246-81438227389A.jpeg

Attachments

• 856B2253-C5D8-447B-8DC7-51D380FEAC7A.jpeg
    856B2253-C5D8-447B-8DC7-51D380FEAC7A.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 293
Shot 3 coyotes this morning. Dropped #1, I knew I hit #2 more than once but after 20 minutes she got up and hobbled off. At this point I was out of 223. I knew I hit #3 twice on the run and he wasn’t doing well last I saw him. I tracked him to a den where I’m certain he expired. I jumped #2 while tracking her and and she ran into a steep ravine where I knew it was a dead end and wouldn’t be able to climb out. Had to finish it off with a 380 i happened to have on my hip. It had been hit in the gut, front and rear legs with 223. Next time I’ll be sure to have more than 8rds in the mag and try to make better shots. :lol:

Happy to see turkeys on the property again and hope they hang around until April!
View attachment 285766 View attachment 285767 View attachment 285768 View attachment 285769 View attachment 285770

Is that a white hen?

Yep, friend of mine has had one on one of the farms he hunts in Rutherford co for the past 3 seasons. Only 2 places I’ve ever seen or heard of one.

Do you think they crossed at some point with a farm turkey?

I was young when we moved to where my parents live now. I was 6-7 years old but there was a ton of turkeys there, I’m talking groups of hens 30-40 at a time would cross in front of the car. I remember there were two white or really light colored hens. It was the easiest way to find the turkeys in the fall/winter spotting one of those.

February rut today............... the mrs. told me a buck was strutting around the back yard this pm oblivious of her out on the deck. She also said his hocks were large and black. A few hours ago I was on the deck smoking some chicken and heard stepping in the woods on the bluff behind our house across the creek. I heard more stepping and got a bright flashlight. The backyard is full of rye grass and I made no sound sneaking down to the creek. I got down to the creek and shined the light on the bluff. A couple of does were slowly going up the creek 25 yrds or so away oblivious of the the flashlight that lit them and the woods. As they walked away, more steeping and a buck I've never seen came walking along 20 yrds behind them, I got closer and could see him very well, he had a decent rack. He moves along and more stepping and a bigger buck comes along about 20 yrds from the first buck and I shine him, as he walks along I follow him and see him well before he walks along the deer train, he's a shooter. A few mins. later I'm about to go back to the house and hear more stepping and another buck comes along and I shine it, another decent buck. I heard more stepping but could not see the deer further up the bluff, it sounded like 8 or 10 may have been walking by and occasionally chasing/tussling while I was back on the deck.

View attachment 285766 View attachment 285767 View attachment 285768 View attachment 285769 View attachment 285770

where you using a caller? what sounds? did you go out at first light? thanks

where you using a caller? what sounds? did you go out at first light? thanks

Yes, just a cheap $60 remote caller. I didn’t start calling until after 8am due to going through 6wks of pictures on the camera I was near. February is breeding time so I started with a female howl, they lit up about 200 yds away before the first howl was finished. They were howling, yipping and barking so I just threw that back at them for a minute or two. Stopped for about 8 minutes. They didn’t show so I started the rabbit distress. Less than a minute into that I could see them running my way through the woods(I was in a ladder stand). I didn’t start shooting until they were 20 yds from me, that was fun!

Do you think they crossed at some point with a farm turkey?

I was young when we moved to where my parents live now. I was 6-7 years old but there was a ton of turkeys there, I’m talking groups of hens 30-40 at a time would cross in front of the car. I remember there were two white or really light colored hens. It was the easiest way to find the turkeys in the fall/winter spotting one of those.

Not sure but I doubt that although I guess it’s possible. I’ve never searched how they end up that way.

Back