NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

The rut seems to be heating up around here. I've had several buddies knock down some nice ones in the past week. I haven't been deer hunting yet this year butmy buddy and I had a good duck hunt yesterday morning. We didn't kill a ton but had a ton of mallards on us. We usually have mostly wood ducks in our main spot and yesterday we were forgoing shots at woodies to take the mallards that were falling in on us. No jewelry yesterday though.

Early stages in SW Virginia this weekend. Popped a doe at 330 in the afternoon and she was being followed by a 2yo 6 pt. Her tarsal glands were a light golden brown. Had a spike just dicking around in a field of fresh cut corn at 2pm not giving a single shit about the fact we were running equipment 200yds away.

Early stages in SW Virginia this weekend. Popped a doe at 330 in the afternoon and she was being followed by a 2yo 6 pt. Her tarsal glands were a light golden brown. Had a spike just dicking around in a field of fresh cut corn at 2pm not giving a single shit about the fact we were running equipment 200yds away.

What part of SW Va?

Ah cool. Neighbors. I'll never figure out the east vs west of the BRP thing dictating the different season dates. Patrick, we get gun season til Dec 15 and yall get it til Dec 1 but are probably no more than 45 min away from where we are.

I know, we get two weeks and that is all, makes no sense to me either.

Before
7C5906A5-4084-4F51-9B44-29A6D82E6F09.jpeg

After
91915E85-C865-4DBB-BA2F-6E9B057B5188.jpeg

Has anyone used the Code Blue Calming Zone scent stick?
Code Blue Calming Zone Relaxing Scent : Cabela's

A few of my bow only friends/co-workers recommended it so I bought it and tested it in my backyard.I rubbed the scent stick on a tree trunk and a branch on a dead cedar I cut down this spring.I posted a while back about putting up a trail cam and getting a picture of a doe less than 5 mins. later so it may just be co-incidence..... But I just checked the cam and I have a pic of me walking to the 2nd place I put the scent and 17 mins. later a doe is moving in between the tree trunk and the cedar. I'm trying to post the timestamped pics...
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

the batteries died in the cam and the date/year is wrong,the pics were taken this past wednesday. I was working in the yard and might have spooked the deer that looks like it's running away, I also need to fix the speed on the camera, it's only taking pictures about every 3 or 5 mins. from the stamps on the rest of the pics I have. The temp. is wacked too!

... just figured out the temp. difference, I had the camera in the house overnight and had put it up a while before putting the scent out.

Last edited:
Left work early to drive 2 hours to my parents house, hop in the F250 & roll 15 minutes down the road to my grandpa's place. Grab the .308 & throw on a blaze orange hat thinking to myself that its too warm and I probably won't see a bunch of movement; but I definitely won't see anything if I'm not there! Finally get in the blind 15 minutes before sunset & had this 24# bobcat come out 5 minutes before the end of shooting light @ 15 yards.

20181130_185444.jpg

Rut is gonna be late again, little bucks are not even running does up here yet

this is the last week of rifle season in the mountains, first year up here the season is extended until January 1, but after December 8th, it’s bow season again and bucks only

Got to shoot the Mathews a few more times to be ready

Rut is gonna be late again, little bucks are not even running does up here yet

this is the last week of rifle season in the mountains, first year up here the season is extended until January 1, but after December 8th, it’s bow season again and bucks only

Got to shoot the Mathews a few more times to be ready

You sure you haven't just missed it? Down here in the flatlands things were hot and heavy 2 weeks ago. They've cooled off considerably since then.

You sure you haven't just missed it? Down here in the flatlands things were hot and heavy 2 weeks ago. They've cooled off considerably since then.

No sir, sometimes up here in the mountains the season is over before it ever starts

I have been in the woods everyday the last two weeks, nothing happening, this year I may have a bow in my hand

Back