new garage build

mcutler

finally growing out of my old "carport" garage building. moving up from a 24 x 24 to a 30 x 50 with two attached 16 x 28 sheds. interior ceiling is 12'6".

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03196.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03207.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03208.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03210.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03203.jpg

and purchased a beefy wood stove that included a load of 2yr seasoned red oak for $400 together!

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03215.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_garage_20build_DSC03214.jpg

its further along than this just gotta snap some more pics, as of today it is dried in minus the garage doors.

Truly jealous of it all!! Especially the size of that lot!

Looking good man!!!! Is this going to a car garage or something else? Just curious.

It's about a 250ft walk from the house. For those that have been to my place, about 200 ft from old garage. Had a 100*100' pad graded on my back acre, aprox 30' lower in elevation than house. Can just see the highest point of the roof from my kitchen window. I plan to use the interior for crawler-building, and exterior shed will assist with my recycling biz. My cousin contracted to dry it in and I will finish the interior myself.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Sweet, so now you've got two garages...one to store the crap you're not working on and one to actually work on other crap in! I'm jealous.

thats the plan, gonna build a bench ,tailgate high, in old shop, so i can slide my toolboxes and spare tire, and all the other crap i tote with me on overnite wheeling trips onto rather than break my back loading up. also will keep my buggy, camping gear, mower, 4 wheeler, there as well as all the regular car cleaning stuff. all the fab work will be done in the bigun.

don't have a total yet on the structure but will be happy to post costs as they come available. ive gone over budget already, my wonderful grader didn't cut my pad flat, as directed, so i had to build the block foundation rather than a flat concrete slab. but at least it will never wash away, their is a tremendous amount of water that comes through there. have to do more work on my ditches and add a culvert.

expenses to date;
grading; 4500
gravel; 4500
foundation and block work; 2850
foundation backfill; 800
retaining walls on road, (not pictured but will get some up); 2700
rented a backhoe for a month to use on wall building and footings for walls; 1800
- all spenditures over a years time to date

man i shouldn't have listed all that, feeling a little woozy...

dont forget the 3k budget on the loft...man cave

Looking forward to the Grand Opening Party :beer:

Might heat better w/ some walls up :D Just saying...

With a garage that size you will have have room for about 6 projects at the same time !!!

My brother has a 30x50 and its amazing how much large tools and stuff you start to collect. He found a 8' brake for a deal, now has a full size frame table (on wheels), small desk/sitting area w/ fridge, back 'tool room' AND still has room for 4 cars in there.

What kind of power are you running ?

new update to pricing; not including grading and gravel

stucture dried in(minus doors), including labor(@family discount), concrete(w fiber and wire) and finishing(20yds @ 40/yd to finish), foundation, footings and backfill;-$25,050

power is coming off a pole at old shop, approximately 200ft-underground, and will have its own 200 amp service, while the old shop has its own 100 amp service.

any electricians wanna chime in here? using #2 alum wire, underground 200'. what size wiring would you run from main breaker box inside the new structure, for all outlets; lights; 220 circuits; and seperate circuits for outdoors on sheds. box will be on one of the 30' walls and will stretch a max of roughly 90-100'? how many ground rods?

any electricians wanna chime in here? using #2 alum wire, underground 200'. what size wiring would you run from main breaker box inside the new structure, for all outlets; lights; 220 circuits; and seperate circuits for outdoors on sheds. box will be on one of the 30' walls and will stretch a max of roughly 90-100'? how many ground rods?
I'm not an electrician but if I'm understanding your question you will want to use 20amp breakers w/ 12-2 w/ ground for your lights and outlets. Lights could be on 14 gauge but it really depends on what kind of lights they are. Be sure you use 20 amp outlets. Especially since this is a shop. As far as your 220 circuits it depends on what amp you need based on the size of your welder or what ever is on that circuit. Seems like... never mind. Just searched and found this.

******I hope your using 2/0 wire under ground and not 2 gauge.

BTW why are you running the power to the building yourself? Generally the power company will run it underground to the meter for free if it's a new service. Atleast that's the way Duke power does it. What co. do you have and did you pull permits?

-Also you will use two ground rods eight feet apart.

-Just remember you should only load a circuit 80%

Wire Use

Rated Ampacity

Wire Gauge

Low-voltage Lighting and Lamp Cords

10 Amps

18 Gauge

Extension Cords

13 Amps

16 Gauge

Light Fixtures, Lamps, Lighting Runs

15 Amps

14 Gauge

Receptacles, 110-volt Air Conditioners, Sump Pumps, Kitchen Appliances

20 Amps

12 Gauge

Electric Clothes Dryers, 220-volt Window Air Conditioners, Built-in Ovens, Electric Water Heaters

30 Amps

10 Gauge

Cook Tops

45 Amps

8 Gauge

Electric Furnaces, Large Electric Heaters

60 Amps

6 Gauge

Electric Furnaces, Large Electric Water Heaters, Sub Panels

80 Amps

4 Gauge

Service Panels, Sub Panels