On to the next one: Bronco build

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by YJKrawlin, Sep 10, 2019.

1. YJKrawlin

YJKrawlin Well-Known Member

Worked on pulling apart the donor body while waiting for parts to arrive and the transmission to be built. Going to try to pull most of the wiring harness and sort through what will be needed and what wont be. That should be fun.
    That's what I have already, i think. I bought them from a guy parting out super dutys and he said they were excursion springs. I dont mind a cushier ride, but without a diesel engine up front i didnt want to be struggling to compress them either. You cant exactly pull springs from that pack to make a softer spring. Being that it's in a bronco and not a diesel 1 ton truck, I dont think it will be an issue, but we shall see. Ordered some more parts today, going to a 1 wire alternator, ordered the dust shield for the c6, ordered a red head steering gear as well. Debating getting a universal wiring harness, but I may just wait for aater date to do that. I've spent a little more than i was planning at the moment and i still have to buy my nwf black box titan. Hoping for some overtime here soon.

Attached Files:

87GMCJimmy likes this.
  2. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy Well-Known Member

Look forward to seeing how you like those Excursion springs, my F-350 is on hold for quite a while so, you'll likely get some miles on your build before mine moves forward! NWF black box titan?!?!?! AWESOME!!!!! I am very jealous of the doubler setup your're going to have with that and the NP205, that's going to be freaking amazing!!!!

3. YJKrawlin

Trying to keep the drivetrain as short as possible and build something that I can have complete faith in. I'm rebuilding the 205 once the rebuild kit comes in next week. Unfortunately I went a little overboard on buying some parts/ forgetting about some of the things I would have to purchase (dust shield for the transmission, opting for a 1 wire battery, ordering a redhead steering gear, among other things) so that pushes back me ordering the black box titan. I may go ahead and push forward on getting the body swapped over once the transmission is in instead of waiting until the doubler is installed.

87GMCJimmy likes this.
  4. YJKrawlin

Cleaned up the engine and started reassembling it. Waiting on hearing back from the transmission shop. Until then, just starting to get things together and working on getting the donor body ready to put on the frame. Painted some of the accessories, those that aren't painted either Have to come off again or will be replaced (power steering bracket will be replaced with a saginaw kit so not going to paint the ford bracket. Tensioner pulley will also be replaced at some point so I'll paint the new one.) Happy to see this coming together. Got my brake lines built by a local hydraulic shop to save time and headache.

Attached Files:

doc, Qwk87Coupe and drkelly like this.
  5. YJKrawlin

Got my steering gear box in from redhead, got the steering all mocked up (I'll need to double check everything once the body is on). Installed the core support to check clearances and mocked up the fenders to start getting an idea of the size of this thing. The suspension is still practically at full droop, but it's starting to come together. Also set the old winch from my jeep in to get an idea of the clearance for the winch and ac condenser. I intend to have ac and cruise control on the bronco by the time I'm done. Transmission should be done tomorrow and I'll be grabbing it thursday, then I'll be making plans to get the body swapped over officially if I can get some extra hands over to keep an eye on things. It will be a busy couple of weeks coming up.

Attached Files:

doc likes this.
  6. YJKrawlin

Got the transmission back yesterday and the brand new pump was seized up so the shop threw another one in it and delivered it back to me today. Everything went together pretty smoothly. I roll the chassis out and wrapped it in blankets and tarps tied up with rope to keep it dry tonight. Also pulled the donor body into the shop and pulled the hood, hard top and wiring, etc. To get it ready for pulling the body. Only thing left should be the body mount bolts and the wiring to the tail lights/ some ghetto trailer wiring. Seeing the chassis outside with the grill on has me ready to get the body fenders and hood on asap. Still trying to go through and make sure I'm not skipping anything though. I'm no master welder/fabricator but I'm pretty happy with how the bronco has come along, even if it is only 2-3 hours at a time.

Attached Files:

drkelly and doc like this.
  7. YJKrawlin

Found some time before worked and finally swapped the body to the correct frame. This is 4" of lift on 40s, I'll need to cut the fenders to flex but it clears surprisingly well at the moment. The suspension definitely needs to settle thought. The best part was finding out it fit in the shop without deflating tires. Although I cant open the doors without deflating the tires. Threw a fender up for an idea of clearance, the core support still needs to slide back a few inches to be in line. Going to tighten down the body this weekend and hopefully that will be it for the majority of the heavy work until the transfer cases go in.

Attached Files:

jcramsey, drkelly and doc like this.
  8. fordwheelinman

fordwheelinman Well-Known Member

Are those 4x4 posts for the legs and a 2x10 for the beam?

Need to build something similar to swap a 78 pickup cab and was curious how well this worked on your body swap

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

9. YJKrawlin

They are 2x4 posts. I would definitely beef the legs up to a 2x6, my first attempt used 2 sets and while it worked, I had a hoist malfunction and used a ratchet strap causing the weight to shift when lowering it,which overloaded on of the legs and put a crack in it, it didnt break just had a really bad lean. The second time I used it for the front and picked it up from the fender mounts as close to the body as I could get, then used an engine hoist with a chain hooked to the inside lip of the tailgate. If you are doing a pickup cab, I'm sure you could fab something similar and either push them close together or build one with a frame at the top to get the separation to balance it while picking it up.

Attached Files:

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy Well-Known Member

Looks awesome sitting on the 40s!!! Nice to see an OBS Ford running a reasonable lift and real tires!!! (I’m on a few OBS pages on Facebook and the huge lift and rubber band tires on stupid huge wheels setup is running rampant) Great work man! Looking forward to seeing more progress!

11. YJKrawlin

Thanks! I got the hood fenders and grill on a few weeks back, this weekend I threw the battery tray in, swapped the intake, just to find out the bypass fitting is rubbing the distributor now, so gotta figure out something for that. With our house getting closer and closer I'm thinking I may wrap it up with the np205 for now and order the titan blackbox when I get the chance, but it just doesn't seem in the cards in the next few months. I also got to messing with the shift linkage for the automatic, not sure I'm happy with it yet but still plenty of room to tinker with it. Its slowly coming together.

Attached Files:

12. bulldogbronco

bulldogbronco Active Member

Maaaannnn. I’m now thinking about upping the lift on mine. This thing is sexy. Great build! Starting mine soon as axles get out of the donor truck

YJKrawlin likes this.
  13. YJKrawlin

This is only supposed to be 4.5" but man is it tall. I wish it was a little lower but it also doesn't have any fluids in it, no interior except the dash, no fuel, etc. I definitely need to figure an easier way of getting in and out because I wont have a stool everywhere I go usually

bulldogbronco and doc like this.
  14. bulldogbronco

bulldogbronco Active Member

Most likely running stock leafs for a while see how I like it, then go from there. Great build.

15. YJKrawlin

I'm running stock leaves in the rear with a shackle flip and excursion springs in the front.