Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by Van-go, Jun 23, 2019.
Holy shit, all this for a Steering box!
I like pictures lol
Frame plates arrived. Welding them on tomorrow.
Passenger plate mostly welded up.
First time welding upside down where it didn’t look like crap.
Been doing some painting
Driver side tacked up. Burn it in tomorrow then I can put the axle together and paint most of the frame.
Then shocks, bump stops, and hydro assist so I get to take some paint off my pretty axle.
Note that you need to put the spindle studs in the knuckle before you assemble everything. Lower C blocks the hole.... but the axle looked good before I tore it back apart
Pretty happy with how it’s turning out.
Had some 35 spline outers from a rig I parted out.
Gonna run warn lockouts for the road. May throw in some slugs for the trail. Not sure how strong Warns are.
Can always step up to the yukons.
RCV also makes 300m hub gears for the Warn Premiums.
These were $80 new from Facebook. You remember how cheap I am...
I’ve got some slugs to throw in if I need to, but I’m only on 37’s. We’ll see
Got the front axle in. Hopefully the last time putting it in.
im looking for a set of flares for the front to help close up the gap from moving the axle forward.
Looking good! You got 2 weeks to get it ready and come to Gulches with me. Might even let you drive your old rig
You think you’re gonna be able to keep that body nice or you plan on thrashing this thing?
I plan to keep it nice in case I need cash so I can sell it to some overland guy. as soon as I lay it over, it will become a trail rig.
And I’ll be in Boone with the wife that weekend...
Keep the body nice so you can sell it back to the guy that sold it to you
Id say you could make a pretty penny in it.
But overlanders don’t know how to change a tire with that many lug nuts.
That’s why I only have 4 on it.
Drilled and tapped.
Figuring out where to mount all these lines is not fun.
Old trans cooler lines were mounted to the LCA crossmember which is obviously gone.
Gotta run new ones out of the way of my drag link.
I made a hard line for the return PS line.
The pressure line to the pump is very rigid. Struggling to find a place to mount it. We will see.
Power steering/Hydro, transmission, and coolant lines are ran.
Filled it with fluid.
Ran it for about an hour.
Steering works. Seems a tad slow, but it was at an idle.
Only leak is the input to the steering box.
gotta bleed brakes, then take it for a spin.
still need to do:
Shocks in front
make front driveshaft
Clearance crossmember for driveshaft
T case skid
Tube out a rack/cage for the rear
Add more diff fluid to the front
flex it out and trim front fenders
Possibly redo the shocks in the rear.
Brakes are weak. Gotta figure out how to get a bigger master cylinder on it.
Steering is slowww
And I need a bigger reservoir to have enough fluid.
Got two weeks to get the small kinks worked out and finish a few things before Uwharrie closes.
Factory power steering reservoir was too small. It kept overflowing when ram was compressed and pump was starving for fluid extended.
@hurt4x4 had a stock one from an 80’s truck. He cut it in half, rolled some tube for me, and welded it up.
We’ll see how it works.
Also has the old school “TOYODA” symbol on the cap.
Shocks were mounted Saturday too.
Flexes okay. Still has more travel, but that’s all I had to flex on
Got the reservoir in.
Been trying to piece together a driveshaft. Went to @Oliver's but Dave was gone Friday.
I think I have a plan.
Gonna run a Toyota flange in the 60 and use all yota parts.
Had to clearance the crossmember for more droop.
Been working on an anti wrap bar. Only got a couple hours in the shop tonight.
I’ll finish it tomorrow.