Portable generators.....

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
I doubt I can find one right now but if I can, how much wattage would I need to power the fridge and maybe a few light bulbs and or a fan? Would a 2000/2500 surge work? or would 3500/4000 be better?

Pm me tomorrow, because I'll forget, and I'll check what we have in Raleigh .

I think we sold like 1,200 portables last week.
A 2200 would run the fridge. Lights don't consume anything, nor do new LCD tvs.s

If you can find a ~5000 watt it will run what you want, allow you to manually cycle a water heate and ac...and have use arounbd the house or trail running tools

Pm me tomorrow, because I'll forget, and I'll check what we have in Raleigh .

I think we sold like 1,200 portables last week.
A 2200 would run the fridge. Lights don't consume anything, nor do new LCD tvs.s

If you can find a ~5000 watt it will run what you want, allow you to manually cycle a water heate and ac...and have use arounbd the house or trail running tools

Thanks Ron, I've been shopping on Amazon for a while now and I just saw the delivery days change from the 12th to the 16th or more for most of them.

@Ron, while we're on this subject, I have a 7500w running portable generator. Right now it'll be used to power a fridge and separate freezer, run a few lights, and a cpap machine all with extension cords, but after this mess passes through I thought about putting in a manual transfer switch.

Would that generator be able to run a 2 ton heat pump for AC only (we'd use fireplace for heat in winter if necessary) plus a fridge or is that not a good idea? Wondering if a whole house transfer would work to run AC and a few lights with the water heater and other large breakers off or if I'd be better off forgetting the AC and using a 6 or so circuit transfer for a few lighting and fridge circuits.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Would that generator be able to run a 2 ton heat pump for AC only (we'd use fireplace for heat in winter if necessary) plus a fridge or is that not a good idea? Wondering if a whole house transfer would work to run AC and a few lights with the water heater and other large breakers off or if I'd be better off forgetting the AC and using a 6 or so circuit transfer for a few lighting and fridge circuits.

Yes. Turn everything else off.

Set the thermostat to 65F and turn the AC on. The gen should draw down hard on the compressor startup, but should then level out. Once it's running, you might be able to turn a few things back on.

Let the AC run until the house gets comfortable, then shut it off. Don't let it cycle on its own.

When it gets too hot, turn off the big loads and turn the AC back on. Repeat as necessary.

Here it is, a walmart special.....
biggen.jpg

loaded it up and drove 2 miles to the Mcds/gas station @ Lake Pine/64 to fill it and a tank w non ethanol but they were soooold out. Heading back home I called the only other store I know w none/E gas and they still had some, @ 1010/hwy 50. Waited in line 15 mins while 3 others filled their tanks. I filled the gen. tank, still in the box and a 5 gal. tank while a line formed behind me. Should be enough for 20+ hours continuous and I have 12 gal in my boats tank I can siphon if needed.....I also prepped the chainsaw users hydration station for the first few days of the shitstorm, 48 ....
beer.jpg

beercold.jpg

Last edited:
Also, there was a small mob of people in the electrical aisle, standing around looking confused.

Look, when Lowe's called you and told you they had a truckload of 200 generators on the way to fulfill your rain check, they had 200 generators. They didn't say they had 200 things-to-hook-generators-up-with.

There were a shit pile of people at Lowe's tonight buying generators.

Nobody was buying gas cans.

I have 45 gallons on hand. It should be enough for a few days.
Yes between my dad and myself with the hot rods and the crawlers we have 60 to 70 gallons of 93 octane sitting here. It's simple enough to pop a fuel line off any of them and jumper a fuel pump relay. Plus 2 5 gallon cans. The generator is a dual fuel and we've got 4 20 lb cylinders too but they are back ups for the backups, cause their man usage will be the turkey fryer burner or gas grill if needed.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

There were a shit pile of people at Lowe's tonight buying generators.

Nobody was buying gas cans.

I have 45 gallons on hand. It should be enough for a few days.

I stopped to get this on my way to work @ HDpo about 10am
0910182136_resized.jpg

A dude had a cart with 8 or 10, 5 gal. tanks. and I assumed there were no more of them left.

In Charlotte for work today and tomorrow and pretty much every place in south charlotte besides Carolina Mower and Equipment in Pineville was out of generators. I stopped in to pick up some chainsaw consumables and he had a few left and said he expected to be out by midday tomorrow. Had some friends in Burlington buy two from Northern Tool today and people were offering to buy them before they could get out the door.

Fuel: check
Generators: check
Making sure generators run: negative

It’s going to be a long week if I can’t fix these damn things. :lol:
Yar, same boat matey!

Gotta hit up the small engine shops tomorrow to find a float seat. Or start seeing what I can rob off the lawnmower carb :lol:

Lucky that I have a few heavy equipment mechanic friends at work figuring out the generator non-run issue. :)

Figures, I’d have to get the CAT guy to fix the Cummins engine... :lol: @Ron

Figures, I’d have to get the CAT guy to fix the Cummins engine

Is that one of those big Onan Green pieces of shit? Mine doesn't run either. I think it's a Briggs motor.

Nah..shawn your 6500 gasser is an onan motor...
Briggs actually hasn't made many motors. The vanguard they boughy/licensed from Bob Kern. Charles Onan sold them at least 3 design.

Not that that makes the m better or worse, but Onan was an engineer and a revolutionist. Briggs and Kohker were thiefs.

I have no guns, no generators, no gas, no chainsaws, and I voted for Hillary. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nah. Mine is the Cummins/Onan version of the Honda 2000i
Oh shit. The 1700 you got from me?

Please tell me you didn't key that things sit up. that's a robin Subaru engine. Overcomplicated pieces of genius.

They make extreme power and shop fuel ....when they run. Their damn carburetor have 2 separate integrated microprocessors. No shit. If they cum up it's a $175 carb.

Not that that makes the m better or worse, but Onan was an engineer and a revolutionist. Briggs and Kohker were thiefs.

Maybe, but that shit still doesn't run. ;)

Maybe, but that shit still doesn't run. ;)

Have you knocked the spark arrested out of the exhaust yet?
If not try that, and spin the hell out of it.

Have you knocked the spark arrested out of the exhaust yet?
If not try that, and spin the hell out of it.

It shuts off after running for about 30 mins under load. Won't restart.

Oh shit. The 1700 you got from me?

Please tell me you didn't key that things sit up. that's a robin Subaru engine. Overcomplicated pieces of genius.

They make extreme power and shop fuel ....when they run. Their damn carburetor have 2 separate integrated microprocessors. No shit. If they cum up it's a $175 carb.

I was using it quite regularly after I bought it then got a bigger one for multiple tools. I did run it out of fuel before storing it in the garage but it’s been sitting for some time. If the CAT guys can’t fix it, it may burn a fiery death. :lol:

I’m kidding. But we are working on it to see what the issue is. I’m sure it’s fuel and carb related. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

Back