Random pic thread.

Took my first trip to Hurricane Creek on Saturday. I must say it is a cool place to ride. Nothing hard at all, but a good day in the woods. There are some interesting things along the trail that would be cool to know the history of. After that trail, we jumped over the other side of the interstate and road another trail and ended up in TN when finished. Ran across what appeared to be a dam of some sort in the middle of nowhere up in the mountain. Would be cool to know what it’s purpose was at one time, and the effort to build it.

I'm pretty sure that "dam" is where the pipeline crosses that brings water from waterville lake down to the powerhouse

On my @jeepinmatt sheeettte.

First pic was shortly after it got started around 8am

1611582216906.png

Then again around 5pm

1611582347482.png

1611582565402.png

And still a blaze of glory around 10pm

1611582381809.png

Still going pretty good this morning when I left for work (no pics unfortunately), but I expect this rain to put it out pretty good in the next few hours. So glad to finally get that thing knocked down. Lot looks way better after a little more grading yesterday.

Are those downhill welds on the frame mount it's hard to tell on my phone.
Some up, some down. Just trying to distribute the heat. Just to be clear, it's not some super smart, strategic move. I was just melting metal together.

Last edited:
Some up, some down. Just trying to distribute the heat.
Did you have to reinforce the frame any? Seems like it would be a lot of force on it when dumping. I'm not an engineer nor fabricator or welder, I'm just curious.

Did you have to reinforce the frame any? Seems like it would be a lot of force on it when dumping. I'm not an engineer nor fabricator or welder, I'm just curious.
We will see :laughing: Frame is 5/16" thick channel, 7" tall, 3" wide. There's also a riveted crossmember right between those two points. So I don't think it will be an issue. It's a 5 ton dump kit, so worst case scenario would be about 6000lbs per pivot. Twisting forces should be minimal until a pin freezes up, but everything is new right now, and knowing my history with trucks, it won't happen in the 2 years that I own it :D

I'm pretty sure that "dam" is where the pipeline crosses that brings water from waterville lake down to the powerhouse
If that is what it is, that pretty amazing. I actually did not know that there is a 14' wide horseshoe tunnel running 6.2 miles underground from the damn to the power station. When we were standing there on Saturday, I was wondering where the water came from to power it. Started laying out the plans for the damn in 1923, then building a railroad to get supplies to it and small towns for folks to live, was finished in 1930. Amazing what folks could do almost 100 years ago.

If that is what it is, that pretty amazing. I actually did not know that there is a 14' wide horseshoe tunnel running 6.2 miles underground from the damn to the power station. When we were standing there on Saturday, I was wondering where the water came from to power it. Started laying out the plans for the damn in 1923, then building a railroad to get supplies to it and small towns for folks to live, was finished in 1930. Amazing what folks could do almost 100 years ago.
And amazing what would take 10* as long now and cost tax payers billions. Seems we look for excuses why things can't happen now instead of looking for ways to make it happen.

And amazing what would take 10* as long now and cost tax payers billions. Seems we look for excuses why things can't happen now instead of looking for ways to make it happen.

The problem today is someone would spend 2 years working on an environmental survey of the entire area. During that time someone would find an arrowhead from an Indian, and the whole project would come to a stand still.

There’s also a dam on the pigeon river right above from the finescreek exit. I’m pretty sure it was used to power the top while the generator plant was being built.

My grandmother is from white oak area and remembered her older sister telling her about the men that use to stay at their house during construction and how she had to get up and make them bag lunches. She said she did the same thing for the men that built I-40 when it was being built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a project go on hold because of frogs one time

Had a project with an "endangered salamander habitat" once. They wanted us to build a 40ft bridge to go over the habitat, a 40ft retaining wall and all this crap. Boss asked them what the fine was if we didn't, they said $250,000. Boss said the check will be in the mail monday...lol

Saw it elsewhere, but had the same thought.

Ad free is $20 a month and you get a pink diamond. It's $5.50 for orange.
Crazy that you are the only one with ad free. I don't see any other pink diamonds. ;)

(nobody tell him it's $20/yr :laughing: )

Back