Random pic thread.

Someone has jokes at work
266dbc9eb2579a3c0ca126cae7ee9cae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

looks like every other xj with a stinger

Did that sit for a while? Single location spalling like that often starts at a corrosion site, so that may be the low spot where a tiny bit of water was sitting..

Did that sit for a while? Single location spalling like that often starts at a corrosion site, so that may be the low spot where a tiny bit of water was sitting..
Not sure.
Later model Corp 9.25 rears love to eat pinion bearings. I did not see any sign of water or any other contamination. I assumed it was just typical wear like I've seen numerous times on them.

I assumed it was just typical wear like I've seen numerous times on them.

Is it usually in a single location like that, or in multiple locations that look like that one?

The single location is not what I would expect to see from overload or lack of lubrication, as that damage tends to affect a lot of the area of the bearing race or rollers similarly. That's why I was speculating corrosion. Maybe debris damage though. With water intrusion you would often see multiple spots like that on the down-facing side of the race, one or two or three spots where one or two or three of the rollers were sitting with water. A single point overload would be interesting, because it's hard to overload-fatigue one spot with only one roller. without doing similar stuff to adjacent areas while rotating.

I'm just curious, I like this kind of stuff. I'm sure you've already spotted by nerd tendencies.

Last edited:
Is it usually in a single location like that, or in multiple locations that look like that one?

The single location is not what I would expect to see from overload or lack of lubrication, as that damage tends to affect a lot of the area of the bearing race or rollers similarly. That's why I was speculating corrosion. Maybe debris damage though. With water intrusion you would often see multiple spots like that on the down-facing side of the race, one or two or three spots where one or two or three of the rollers were sitting with water. A single point overload would be interesting, because it's hard to overload-fatigue one spot with only one roller. without doing similar stuff to adjacent areas while rotating.

I'm just curious, I like this kind of stuff. I'm sure you've already spotted by nerd tendencies.

There was other pitting on other rollers, but that was the deepest area. The race looked fine aside from the area pictured.
The pinion had lost all preload so that may have some sort of contributing factor.

IMG_20190514_225013103s.jpg

Figured I'd throw the flywheel in my 4.2 f150 as it was getting hard to start after turning the motor multiple times per attempt to get it to run. No wonder. I'm not sure if it's visible but the teeth are tapered from the wear. Need to exchange the starter too, would bring the suck to kill the new flywheel.

View attachment 293475
Figured I'd throw the flywheel in my 4.2 f150 as it was getting hard to start after turning the motor multiple times per attempt to get it to run. No wonder. I'm not sure if it's visible but the teeth are tapered from the wear. Need to exchange the starter too, would bring the suck to kill the new flywheel.
just flip it over and reinstall,there's plenty left on that side.:rolleyes:

My dad has a 70's K-10 he put a 6.2 diesel in(yeah I know :shaking:) and its a flexplate eatin machine.Everything is right,tight and correct its just hell on flexplates, so much so he's in the middle of a four speed now.

My dad has a 70's K-10 he put a 6.2 diesel in(yeah I know :shaking:) and its a flexplate eatin machine.Everything is right,tight and correct its just hell on flexplates, so much so he's in the middle of a four speed now.
intake manifold gasket is what killed this one.. filled cylinders with coolant/water and hydro locked.. prior owner would crank it, if it wouldn't crank, he'd pull #1 plug and spin it and then reinstall plug and run it. So it was already effed when I got it. I did the intake & valve cover gaskets and rolled on.. waited till it hardly wouldn't start to fix it.

Momma went to bed early tonight so I thought I'd get some outside stuff done since the weather is perfect right now. Moving a couple flowers between the house and garage to make a walkway. Dug up three hydrangeas and went to cut a root that was in the middle of them and the leaves under my garage trim started to move....

View attachment 293472
Dinner time!

01abda2f337870bc31fae2a75a168e54.jpg

New battery powered welder at work. Fronius AccuPocket 150 Battery-Powered Stick Welding Machine
That's pretty cool. It's amazing where battery technology has gotten to.

Real question though.. how necessary is it though? I guess I have a hard time imagining a spot that would need welying that either a) didn't have access to even 120v power to run a suitcase welder or b) you couldn't wheel in a small gas powered welder. Both of which would seem much more useful, more often, than a battery powered rig.

That's pretty cool. It's amazing where battery technology has gotten to.

Real question though.. how necessary is it though? I guess I have a hard time imagining a spot that would need welying that either a) didn't have access to even 120v power to run a suitcase welder or b) you couldn't wheel in a small gas powered welder. Both of which would seem much more useful, more often, than a battery powered rig.

I could see it useful on a trail rig, but a ReadyWelder is more compact.

Back