Random Thoughts.....

Yeah but can you play a song and switch to video midstream without pausing? 😏
Eh, kinda. It plays the video for the album cover. But, that's cool about YouTube. How's the Playlist layout ect with it?

Eh, kinda. It plays the video for the album cover. But, that's cool about YouTube. How's the Playlist layout ect with it?
Phenomenal. There's a LOT more music posted onto YouTube than any other library I've seen yet. Search results are insane. Any and every song ever posted is here, and it's 20 years in the making. Very unheard of underground music also, which I love. It lets you swap back and forth from song to video instantaneously. $9.99 a month and very much worth it.
YouTube Music Premium layout:
Screenshot_20210910-134352.png

Screenshot_20210910-135105.png

This guys fairly mainstream but a great musician none the less.

There’s not much “hobby” related at Hobby Lobby…except the hobby of wives buying random stuff to sit around.

There’s not much “hobby” related at Hobby Lobby…except the hobby of wives buying random stuff to sit around.
Yaint lyin.

On the worst, kick you in the teeth kind of day...

At least we're not trying to record video of the worst, kick you in the teeth kind of day and then edit for content to upload to YouTube.

Changed bulbs in my garage door opener last night. Door opener no mo worky. Changed batrey in clicker. Still no worky except for wall mounted push button. APPARENTLY, you have to buy the “special” LED bulbs that work with a garage door opener so they don’t interfere with the clicker Freq’s. WTF!

I've wondered this since 'day1', but why did the Government set up a 'fund' (my tax dollars) to help the 9/11 victims and families? Of course that was a insanely terrible event, however bad, terrible, horrific things happen to people everyday in this country at no fault of their own, so what made 9/11 different in the eyes of monetary relief? People have savings, insurance, and other ways to move forward in 99.9% of unfortunate situations. If I'm driving home today and a dude out on parole gets drunk and drives the wrong way on the highway and kills me, is that the governments fault? Shouldn't that guy have been in jail or something so they couldn't kill me? Does my family get some restitution from the government?

Is it because 'they' knew they screwed up on 9/11? That's what I think. Especially seeing how quick they tried to get that up and running. Quite the distraction.

I've wondered this since 'day1', but why did the Government set up a 'fund' (my tax dollars) to help the 9/11 victims and families? Of course that was a insanely terrible event, however bad, terrible, horrific things happen to people everyday in this country at no fault of their own, so what made 9/11 different in the eyes of monetary relief? People have savings, insurance, and other ways to move forward in 99.9% of unfortunate situations. If I'm driving home today and a dude out on parole gets drunk and drives the wrong way on the highway and kills me, is that the governments fault? Shouldn't that guy have been in jail or something so they couldn't kill me? Does my family get some restitution from the government?
See, I was with you up to this point.
Is it because 'they' knew they screwed up on 9/11? That's what I think. Especially seeing how quick they tried to get that up and running. Quite the distraction.
But now you're trying to tell me the same federal government that went through weinergate a few years earlier was also capable of coordinating and pulling off an attack where they flew a bunch of planes into buildings to kill their own citizens so they could create a fund to hand out money and go to war and get all the essential oils and it actually worked?

na...I don't think it was an inside job. I'm not that guy, I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

I mean that they screwed up and didn't stop the attack, with the CIA and FBI not communicating and many other missed chatter and opportunities that were uncovered post 9/11.

The government pulled back this 'illusion of safety' that we live under and had to do something quick to change perception.

Take off your tin foil hat.
I assume you mean the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund is the only one that is Government funded.
It is basically a settlement payment to prevent lawsuits against the airline industry that would inevitably have put them out of business from bankruptcy, which would mean not only would the victims/families still not get paid (yeah, not my problem...) but the rest of us would get royally fucked as well.
Its really just the typical "settle out of court" situation. Pay something defined now to avoid a potentially high cost later that could cause massive problems.
When you look at the actual compensation vs what they could possibly get w/ a legit lawsuit, in many cases it's piddly dollars.

The total of the fund is capped at less than $8 billion. I mean that's a lot of money - but it is less than 0.2% of any year of a usual Federal budget. Not big by scale,, not even on the radar compared to typical expenses of DoD, NSA, and a lot of other things.

yes, the victims compensation fund.

I don't own a tin foil hat, but I do fully understand the incompetence and downright stupid moves the government makes, and the downright criminal and corrupt activities that happen every single day on behalf of your elected officials. And thats just the documented stuff.

The airline industry doesn't have insurance? And they won't just 'go out of business' due to bankruptcy, for sure not all at the same time....and even if they got to that point, the Feds would then step in. Haven't some airlines declared bankruptcy recently? They are still flying. Also, not every single airline would go out of business anyway. New investors and consolidation would save the day. It's happened before, it'll happen again. UPS/Fedex/DHL/USPS would still be flying too.....you'd get your packages on time.

So there was the VCF and then the airlines STILL struggled after 9/11 and during the pandemic....but they are still around.

And I get a kick out of multiple billions being shrugged off as just a 'very small percentage' of the overall budget like it doesn't matter (I hear this often)......but these multiple billions spent hundreds of times on funds and projects and aid starts to add up to real money.......it has to start to be trimmed and cut somewhere.

You might make $100,000 a year, but I doubt you're ok with someone taking $20 out of your wallet regularly without your consent. That's still such a small percentage, why does it matter?

The LARGE percentage of the Fed budget let us down, it's documented, nothing really happened to anyone in charge, tens of thousands died as a result......so I guess that fund took care of it?

The airline industry doesn't have insurance? And they won't just 'go out of business' due to bankruptcy, for sure not all at the same time....and even if they got to that point, the Feds would then step in. Haven't some airlines declared bankruptcy recently? They are still flying. Also, not every single airline would go out of business anyway. New investors and consolidation would save the day. It's happened before, it'll happen again. UPS/Fedex/DHL/USPS would still be flying too.....you'd get your packages on time.

So there was the VCF and then the airlines STILL struggled after 9/11 and during the pandemic....but they are still around.
I feel like your reasoning is circular here. The whole point of the VCF was to cap the expenses that EITHER the airline industry OR the Feds - and hence you and me - would end up paying due to lawsuits. Like you said, incompetence abounded. The total of all kinds of lawsuits over many years would probably have been in the double digits of billions by the time it was over. Even if most were blown off, the cost in legal fees to deal with them would be immense.
As you said - we (for whatever reason) have decided we can't let airlines fail. And the Feds would step in eventually anyway. Thus, their loss is "our" loss. I'm sure they have insurance but there's no way they have insurance covering billions in lawsuits on this kind of scale.
They are still flying... because we bailed them out. If we didn't... who knows... but we'd still end up with a bill anyway, probably bigger, and with more pain along the way.

You might make $100,000 a year, but I doubt you're ok with someone taking $20 out of your wallet regularly without your consent. That's still such a small percentage, why does it matter?
I chose what is worth stressing over and where to put my priorities. This is a 1-time $20 payment. I'd rather do that now than get continual random $10 bills for a decade. I'm not gonna miss that 20 bucks.
You're lumping this in with the global argument "government spending is bad" which doesn't really answer any questions about this particular question.

Also - it was an act of war on local soil.
Here is a kick in the dick, most life insurance didn’t pay out. Most health insurance didnt pay out.
We have a family friend who’s husband was killed in a car accident in 9/10/01 in Syracuse,NY. She never had a job outside the home.
It took them 7 years to collect his life insurance as they were fought tooth and nail that it was a 9/11 death.
In the interim his son dropped out of college because he couldn’t afford it.
shitty situation all around.
They couldn’t get 9/11 victim funds because they weren’t and they weren’t getting what they deserved because of bs.

There had been an official declaration of war before the planes hit? I get that 'act of war' is not covered by most insurance policies, but when the planes hit it was not war, correct?
What would have been the through process if some crazy American citizen had taken over the plane in a fit of rage and flew it into the towers and knocked both down, just to be mean?

@Ron I'm not sure I'm following how any sane, somewhat educated person could sit with a straight face and claim that a person that died on 9/10 in a random town not near NYC or DC, was a victim of the 9/11 attacks....for 7 years. I'd really like to hear how that was justified. Seems like we are missing some crucial details here.....I get that insurance companies will do anything not to pay out.....but that seems like a black and white argument from the 9/10 death family.

So yes, the VCF was to shut people up because the Feds knew they messed up and failed miserably. That's what I've been thinking. I guess it worked, we go about our biz basically unchanged and the same incompetence is keeping us 'safe'

Oh, and @RatLabGuy , they aren't going to stop taking that $20, they just call it something different. But since it's such a small percentage of your budget, it doesn't matter.

There had been an official declaration of war before the planes hit? I get that 'act of war' is not covered by most insurance policies, but when the planes hit it was not war, correct?
What would have been the through process if some crazy American citizen had taken over the plane in a fit of rage and flew it into the towers and knocked both down, just to be mean?
Acts of war are declared as such post-hoc. Its almost always that way because you don't know its going to happen ahead of time.
Depending on the policy, "terrorism" isn't necessarily covered either, so even if it had been an American they may still be denied.
Hell, they use the category "act of God" to get out of stuff all the time. And in the mind of most extremists, their actions are on behalf of "God."
So yes, the VCF was to shut people up because the Feds knew they messed up and failed miserably. That's what I've been thinking. I guess it worked, we go about our biz basically unchanged and the same incompetence is keeping us 'safe'
I really wouldn't go that far. Not that "they knew they fucked up" but just that "they knew they'd get sued." You don't have to have done the wrong thing to see that you're gonna be blamed and get the bill.

@Ron I'm not sure I'm following how any sane, somewhat educated person could sit with a straight face and claim that a person that died on 9/10 in a random town not near NYC or DC, was a victim of the 9/11 attacks....for 7 years. I'd really like to hear how that was justified. Seems like we are missing some crucial details here.....I get that insurance companies will do anything not to pay out.....but that seems like a black and white argument from the 9/10 death family.

Oh, and @RatLabGuy , they aren't going to stop taking that $20, they just call it something different. But since it's such a small percentage of your budget, it doesn't matter.

I hear ya.
And to be transparent it is one of those deals where when Sherry shares we listen and try to help but also dont go prying because of the sensitive nature etc,

In short what Ive heard is essentially its like an autoflag in the insurance system and it just denies it, Then you start the process of appealing and sending death certificates and such. But due to the 9/11 haze and shut down of mail and govenrment offcies and such the death certificate is sealed as like 9/13 but shows a date of death of 9/10. I know there was a hearing, that took like 2 years to get, and essentially they walk into court the insurance attorney looks over everything and basically says "OMG so sorry. This should have been paid 2 years ago. Your honor we apologize" So they close the case and leave...and then 90 days later get a form rejection letter in the mail and the process re-started.

It was an entire fiasco. As I understand it they eventually got their settlement and all their lawyer fees paid and a judgement for interest or whatever. But in the process they sold the family home, Dillon dropped out of college, and untold stress and drama was encountered.

Just systemic incompetence.

I really wouldn't go that far. Not that "they knew they fucked up" but just that "they knew they'd get sued." You don't have to have done the wrong thing to see that you're gonna be blamed and get the bill.

If you watch the documentary on Netflix about 9/11, they would lead you to believe that we had it coming and should have seen it. They also discuss events in Afghanistan, from the 80s, that led to it, and really sound like history starting to repeat itself. But I also realize that it likely has a spin to it, so there is likely more to the story.

The first day experiencing 40 hasn’t been too bad. Hip, knee, and back pain, yep. Doesn’t seem like anything has got worse. I’ll consider that a “W”.
Congrats.
It didn't really bother me until 41.
Because at that point I was "in my 40s."

Back