Random Thoughts.....

Y’all southerners can’t drive for shit if it isn’t sunny and 65.

We're really not that bad ... Yankees ( and anyone else) just don't realize driving style is as regional as dialect.
-Where I live, natural born citizens are never in a hurry, so it's 5-10 below the limit.
Until you hit a passing zone, then it's 10 over ....period!
-Winston Salem: everyone is late. Half are speeding to get there, the other half don't care or don't work.
-Hi Point: no one is actually going to High Point ..... just through it. So half the people are wide open from one end to the other ...... the rest are lost!
-Raleigh: screw it! how fast can I go through stand still traffic and construction zones.
-Greensboro: screw Greensboro. no one there can drive. fast, slow, stopped, sideways .... them people are crazy!
-Rural areas: "I doing all this ol' farm truck can do!" Unfortunately ..... that's 45, wide open.
-1/2" of snow: just shut the state down already.

Last edited:
Y’all southerners can’t drive for shit if it isn’t sunny and 65.
What you're experiencing is the fawkers from Ohio down here on their way to our beaches clogging up the roads with their no driving BS. And if'n it's an NC plate..it's one of them fawkers from Ohio that decided to leave that overcast hellhole and become a half-back

Bruh...I can at least understand slowing down for rain, fog, snow, darkness. What I don't understand is why people slow down when it gets cold out. Roads are clear, sun is out...it's just 40*...lets slow down.

To drive the point home…both of these pictures are exiting 55mph zones and just enter in to 45mph zones…

6DF88D96-17AF-459B-8DF7-DC386E8CFDCA.jpeg

BCDE48C4-DD2A-4E36-8D32-DA46885A1EAE.jpeg

Getting Amazon Kindle has been fantastic. I spent 6 months reading a 1000 page hard copy book. I knocked out 800 pages in just shy of about 6 weeks on my tablet and phone.

I see available passing areas…..

Have/do…but that’s actually the same stretch of road and the local PD is only .5-1mile a little further up. So you need the strategic blinker on, speed up in the turn Lane…crap, I’m an idiot and didn’t mean to turn, and pass. Ya know…really sell it…and for added measure, wave when you pull back in to your lane, like you know you’re the wrong one, for any ‘witnesses’.

It seems like with all the technology we have in bluetooth someone would make a device that would allow you to hook up multiple headset together to talk. I don't need a phone and are always in line of sight so bluetooth would work fine. I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything yet.

It seems like with all the technology we have in bluetooth someone would make a device that would allow you to hook up multiple headset together to talk. I don't need a phone and are always in line of sight so bluetooth would work fine. I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything yet.
those $20 2 way radios won't work?

So are you wishing for a localized network for bluetooth like when you are working in the same general space but don't want to have to holler? Just link up with the nearby people upon request and communicate?

I just installed a Bluetooth communication system on my new climbing helmet. It's made for motorcycle helmets but pretty easy to adapt to just about any kind of helmet. You can connect up to 10 of them together via Bluetooth and talk to each other.

I just installed a Bluetooth communication system on my new climbing helmet. It's made for motorcycle helmets but pretty easy to adapt to just about any kind of helmet. You can connect up to 10 of them together via Bluetooth and talk to each other.
What did you go with? Can you add in any other devices such as music, etc?

You can listen to music, and answer phone calls. And I think whatever music you're listening to, everyone else that's connected in the group can also listen to it.

LEXIN 1pcs B4FM 10 Riders Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset with Music Sharing, Helmet Bluetooth Intercom with Noise Cancellation/FM Radio, Universal Communication Systems for ATV/Dirt Bike https://a.co/d/fzwXBZ3

You can listen to music, and answer phone calls. And I think whatever music you're listening to, everyone else that's connected in the group can also listen to it.

LEXIN 1pcs B4FM 10 Riders Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset with Music Sharing, Helmet Bluetooth Intercom with Noise Cancellation/FM Radio, Universal Communication Systems for ATV/Dirt Bike https://a.co/d/fzwXBZ3
I was about to add, I thought there were some Bluetooth headsets for riding that would fit the OP’s needs. You’re ahead of me.

those $20 2 way radios won't work?
I have gmrs radios but looking for something that would allow use of current bluetooth headsets.
So are you wishing for a localized network for bluetooth like when you are working in the same general space but don't want to have to holler? Just link up with the nearby people upon request and communicate?
Please help a tech illiterate out on this one. It sounds like what I need but have no idea what it is or how to do it.
I have considered these but they are hard to use without a helmet. Everyone pretty much has a bluetooth headset they like, it would just be easy to utilize that.

My wife and I have started hiking and mountain bike riding and when your on a single track its hard to hear one another (plus my wife is a little hard of hearing). We currently use the bone conducting behind the head headsets and really like them. We just want to use them together without a phone (not alot of cell service where we like to bike and hike).

My wife and I have started hiking and mountain bike riding and when your on a single track its hard to hear one another (plus my wife is a little hard of hearing). We currently use the bone conducting behind the head headsets and really like them. We just want to use them together without a phone (not alot of cell service where we like to bike and hike).
So you want to link 2 existing BT headsets together, but no intermediary device? Thats not possible.
BT protocol has devices and hosts. Something has to be each. Something has to be the host, two BT devices cannot pair together directly.

You can certainly get headsets that directly communicate like radios / walkie talkies etc. they just use a different protocol for transmission.

I was looking for a device to do this that did not use cell service. I don't mind having to carry a device, I haven't been able to find such critter.
I think you are not going to find such a device, because the usage case is just really weird. Maybe it exists but generally BT is not intended for communication that is nore than a couple meters away, and all devices that use BT as a protocol are intended for pairing to a host device that is doing the work. Normally any case where people are communicating they are, or have a chance of being, far enough away that a different RF protocol than BT is more apprpriate.
A market already exists for headsets and similar things that are for exactly your purpose. Its just not based on BT.

Even if you could find such a device, it seems very easy that you would lose connection with one another while single track biking.

If you are both otherwise carrying phones - there are apps that do this without using cellular data.

bluetooth walkie talkie app will get you started.

If you want to do it and not carry a phone...well then you will each need some host device.

@NCJeeplover
This requires the two phones to be on the same network. E.g. a wireless LAN or something.
Maybe you could have 1 phone act as a hotspot and the other then connects to that hospot...?

Similar. Phones have to be on a network of some kind.
Per
"Zello is a free walkie-talkie app for smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers. The app requires an Internet connection to work properly, whether it’s through Wi-Fi or a mobile data network. Unlike the standard calls you can make on the device of your choice, Zello connects you to fellow users and radio channels where large groups can talk regardless of distance.

Unfortunately, if you lose internet in an emergency, Zello won’t be of much use."

The more I think about it, I think the solution would be Wifi Direct (connect two phones where one is host, other is device, using wifi) then find and app able to use that for communication via the LAN.

EDIT: bingo

EDIT 2: ok this is probably a variant of what Matt posted

Last edited:
Back